Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I noticed on Sprites website they say the software will be available for free:

"Note Palm Treo 700 Users: Sprite Backup will be available to Palm Treo 700 users for free from the Palm website. Please see www.palm.com for further information"

http://www.spritesoftware.com/pocketpc.php

Anyone know where it can be downloaded? I searched Palm's site and sent mail to Sprite--no reponse so far.

Thanks,
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    YES- let us know if you hear anything from Sprite...i am waiting also for this.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Some info from Sprite's Forum about this topic:

http://www.spritesoftware.com/forum/...a1a50119dc9adc
    I heard that Palm will release this when the updater for 700w comes out with MSFP. You cannot backup a WM5 device on one version of the ROM and then restore to the updated ROM image because of the odd way WM5 writes registry entries; chaos ensues. Not a smart architecture from MS for supporting backup software scenarios.
  5.    #5  
    From Sprite:

Hello
    thank you for contacting Sprite Software. As it says there you need to contact Palm, unfortunately we are not authorized to release the Palm specific version. You can only buy Sprite Backup V5 from Sprite at the moment.

Regards,

Daniel van Wyk
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I know sprite backup is the standard from the PPC world. I tried Sprite and was woefully disappointed, then someone suggested Sunnysoft and it's amazingly fast and very reliable and doesn't require hooking up to the PC to do anyhting.

Here's the link:

http://www.sunnysoft.com/en_clanek.php?clanekid=51
    Sunnysoft is much, much slower and many have reported problems with it. Search for more reviews on that one.

I'm not thrilled with Sprite's customer service but their product is sound.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I used sprite backup, it immediately bombed on my 700w. I used Sunnysoft and backed up my enitre device in under 10 minutes to my storage card as a self-extracting file. Imagine when I hard-reset and had to restore and without a single issue, everything came back.

So, I don't agree, and as the saying goes, YRMV.
    We have to wait for Palm and when we do get the free version it will be tweaked and like HP not something you can take to another WM5 device. So I tried Sunny Soft, locked up and bombed out. Sprite, works well no issues, next stop is SPB Backup just to see how the other half lives.
  10. JEC
    There's no need to hook up to a PC to do a Sprite backup or restore.

I installed the program to my SD card.
    I also have the backups sent to the SD card.

I can easily, and without fear, do a hard-reset while on the road.

In fact, I keep all of my backup files on the SD card, so I can do a restore from the one that has the configuration I want (such as before the installation of a program that seems to be causing instability).

I'm very happy with Sprite.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Here is a response from jdc from another board after emailing Palm about the status of Sprite for 700w:

Response - 02/09/2006 10:00 AM

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Palm Treo 700w. Sprite Backup for the Palm Treo 700W is still under development and is expected to be released very soon. Please monitor the Palm.com web site for further information and updates on this product.

Cordially,
    Palm Treo700w Support Team

The only question is how soon is "very soon"...

I would also like to hear from other people who have had success with SPB Backup with the 700w...
    There is now text on the Palm site as follows:

"What's not backed up and restored with ActiveSync?
    USB ActiveSync is limited to the items above. It does not automatically restore add-on applications; you must manually re-install them. In addition, system preferences, personal databases and other items are not backed up through ActiveSync. That's why we're letting Treo 700w users download a third-party application called Sprite Backup - a complete backup solution for your smartphone. Make a habit of using Sprite Backup in addition to ActiveSync. More on this application, later."

Should be coming soon.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    That's been on there a while. I imagine it will probably be included in the updated ROM when they release it.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Any update on this yet?

D
    Interesting. Thanks for the info...
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Yay!
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Does anybody know how to remove a previous version of Sprite? I've tried everything and it just won't remove the old version. I even tried installing the new one right over the top and I ended up with two instances.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd
    Does anybody know how to remove a previous version of Sprite? I've tried everything and it just won't remove the old version. I even tried installing the new one right over the top and I ended up with two instances.
    Ya, I noticed this too...I can't delete my old one either...
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    I hard reset before I installed the update just to make sure everything was gone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast