1.    #1  
    I hate the outlook email app. Has any 3rd party app been developed for the 700w yet?
    Andrew
    The one with the most potential for now seems to be vgsmail. Search the forums here for more discussion on it...

http://www.vgsmail.com/ppc/

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    <moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I am in search of a much better, more customizable email client for my WM5 smartphone. Does anyone have good recommendations? I've searched around here and other places and it seems like a lot of people say VGSmail has potential - does this mean it's not fully operational? I know I can load trials of a lot of the programs, but there are a bunch, so I was seeing if people had input on any of them. These are some I've come across in addition to VGSmail:

Always On Mail:
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...56981&R=156981

IBE Push Mail:
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...81514&R=181514

WebIS Mail (doesn't look like WM5 support yet):
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...=48295&R=48295

ProfiMail:
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...50944&R=150944

GKMail:
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...78060&R=178060

The main features I'm looking for is IMAP support and the ability to change SMTP profiles because I have different settings depending on whether I'm sending from work/personal email or from WiFi or EDGE connections. There is this program:

Smtp Manager
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...12048&R=112048

but it says it is only compatible with WM2003. I appreciate any input. Thanks.
    i got very excited to try out that IBE mail. Got it leaded and all set up with my account, but its a memory hog to say the least. My whole machine was slowed, and i couldn't so much as compose a mail, let alone expect to receive emails pushed to me.

anyone else have this experience?
    I didn't try IBE Mail, Always On or WebIS (not WM5 ready yet).

I did try ProfiMail and GKMail. Both required the installation of SQL and .NET framework. The total for the mail client, SQL and .NET came to 8 megs. I tried loading to expansion card - didn't work. I'm not installing 8mb to internal memory. So i stopped trying with both. After the trials, my phone was very, very, very slow. I tried seeing if there were any installed components remaining, and my installed programs list was empty? I decided to restore my backup from the previous night. Note: SunnySoft Backup Manager did not work for me. It messed up my phone even more on restore. Hard reset was necessary.

I also tried SMTP Manager just to see if it worked on WM5 (despite the note saying it only works with PPC2003). Didn't work.

I played around more with Pocket Outlook. I've actually got it the way I wanted. It seems like a great client for POP3, however IMAP4 takes some tweaking. After using some rules on my always connected PC Outlook, Pocket Outlook functions fine for now. I'll use it until a 'Chatter-like' email client hits WM5.

Anyone know of a good backup program. I'm going to try SBP Backup.
    Flexmail 2006 is out today. Working OK so far...more powerful than Pocket Outlook, but really slow to load.

http://www.webis.net/products_info.php?p_id=mail&dir=wm
    Thanks for the information. Although I'm a registered WebIS 2.2 user and inquired on WM5 support, I didn't expect to ever hear back from the developer.
    WM5 softkey support for Flexmail is MUCH better than it is for Pocket Informant, it looks like WebIS has really designed it for this. My thoughts (admittedly early; I've used it only for a few hours).

PROS:
    1. Customizable message display, can do preview windows, folders, move and size and choose columns. I have it down to a one line display, akin to Goodlink, fits more on the screen. This is its best feature IMO.
    2. More powerful and complete menus to do different things, mark all as read, etc.
    3. Presumably much more powerful for services other than ActiveSync (all my email flows through Exchange, so I can't be certain about POP3, IMAP, etc, but it looks like it can do a lot).

CONS:
    1. Takes FOREVER to load. Leave this thing running. Once running, still not as snappy as outlook, but works OK, and doesn't seem to consume too much program memory.
    2. Deleting messages takes a lot more work than Pocket Outlook. Rather than tap and hold in a message or just menu -> delete with softkeys, you need to go menu -> [scroll down] -> message -> delete.
    3. When you get a new message and it ISN'T running, it fires up the application. Bad.
    thank you for the review ntaylor. The loading and speed thing concerns me. I'm going to give my current setup w/Pocket Outlook some time and then maybe try the FlexMail.
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz
    thank you for the review ntaylor. The loading and speed thing concerns me. I'm going to give my current setup w/Pocket Outlook some time and then maybe try the FlexMail.
    I wouldn't make a decision just on my feedback; try it yourself. My phone is anything but "clean" now with all the junk that's been installed and removed, so your experience might be different.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    I tried out FlexMail. Nice interface, and very customizable, works well with POP GMail....loading time isn't that bad, but after any Soft resets, my Default Email client goes back to the Messaging Email (despite setting FlexMail settings to be default).
    Is that what people are experiencing also?

My only concern for using FlexMail is that It uses about 2.2 Megs of Program memory, and tends to freeze up a lot if I am listening to an MP3 and/or on PIE, while FlexMail is running in the background. ....often requiring me to soft reset.
    ...I probably will need to keep using the default Messaging Email client because of this
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    It is slow to initialize. This isn't new for WebIS so expected with Fleximail. With push email running and the size of this app, I can't imagine using this as a substitute for Poutlook on this device.

I plan to use Fleximail in these situations:

1. When I don't have a laptop for a long time and need to see all of my mail -- HTML and everything.
    2. When I want to send out email messages which appear to come from username@vtext.com, using email instead of having to use 6245.
    3. When I want to save email on my device safe from the hard resets needed to fix Poutlook email problems. This isn't always "safe" since WebIS mail was not always safe from installation to installation. The developer responded to the "corrupt email" problems suggesting we keep all of the mail on the server and just download it again. I hope Fleximail will have have a better track record.

I think the best email option I've had in the last 4-5 years has been Snappermail. I just wish they'd port to WM.
    Last edited by Beryl; 04/06/2007 at 08:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmo
    after any Soft resets, my Default Email client goes back to the Messaging Email (despite setting FlexMail settings to be default).
    Is that what people are experiencing also?
    It did that to me at first, but then it stuck. After checking the default app checkbox, you might wait for a little while before the soft reset. Same thing happened going the other way...had to uncheck it and it took several soft resets before my default app returned.
    Is flexmail as close as us WM users can get to chatter? Does it support true push or is it just syncing periodically based upon a predetermined amount of minutes?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Is flexmail as close as us WM users can get to chatter? Does it support true push or is it just syncing periodically based upon a predetermined amount of minutes?
    no push...the latter is correct
    Does anyone know of an eamil client that support filters? I get a bunch of emails daily and I would like to organize them into different folders as they come in based on filtering rules. Thanks!