1.    #1  
    The imap PUSH email plug-in, VGSMAIL, for the built in Messaging application is now finally commercially available for the Treo 700 as well as for most other WM5 devices.

Seems to be pretty stable, I have been using it for a few weeks and it is working reliably. Needed to turn EVDO off to save battery power (nothing specifically to do with vgsmail).

This program, simply adds push email capabilities to the Messaging application from IMAP servers that support the IDLE function (like fastmail, most exchange servers, etc.). It is true push email and my messages arrive as soon as they hit the server. If I delete mail from the server with another client, the messages are also deleted on the Treo. The INBOX stays in sync. The program does NOT replace the built in Messaging application like ChatterEmail does on the 650.

There are some annoying issues with the program that I hope the developer corrects soon:

1) All HTML messages are downloaded with the HTML portion of the message contained in an attachment. In other words, almost every message has an attachment icon associated with it. Since the Messaging application can't really display HTML, this attachment should be stripped or hidden. This is confusing as most users will think there is an attachment associated with the message when there really isn't any.

2) When new mail arrives, VGSMAIL generates a New Mail Notification window. This window contains a VIEW button to launch the Messaging application. This is very annoying because you have to use the stylus to press this button. There is no soft key to launch Messaging. The work around is to first click the left soft key to hide the window then click it again to launch Messaging. Not a big deal but it really should have a soft to launch directly in to Messaging.

3) Once a new vgsmail profile or account is created, its name can't be deleted. The parameters can change but the NAME of the profile can't be deleted or changed.

4) The program wil not upload a copy of outgoing messages to the sent mail folder on the server. Chatter does this very well which enables the sent mail folder to essentially stay in sync.

The developer seems to release new versions every few days but does not do a good job responding to bug reports, questions and suggestions that are raised in his forum (it's almost like he gets offended when someone reports a bug). Not everyone can be as responsive as ChatterEmail's Marc Blank!

Aside from that, the program is pretty bug free and stable, and I would recommend it. A 7 day trial is available.

www.vgsmail.com/ppc
    I have non stop lockup problems with vgsmail on my Treo 700. It's constantly disconnecting and reconnecting to my IMAP server and rendering my device useless. Anyone getting this program to work okay with their T700?
    BTW, isn't this like the exact same thread topic and write up I saw wannatreo post a week ago?
    Quote Originally Posted by adamt
    I have non stop lockup problems with vgsmail on my Treo 700. It's constantly disconnecting and reconnecting to my IMAP server and rendering my device useless. Anyone getting this program to work okay with their T700?
    youre probably like me, you use IMAL with SSL. This tool is useless with SSL IMAP accounts.

Damn shame....Marc?
  5.    #5  
    I was seeing this in fringe 1x/EVDO areas. When the signal would jump back and forth between EV and 1x sometimes it would drop the connection. When I turned off EV this problem went away. I had to turn off EV anyway because the battery life stunk. I only turn it back on when I have to. Try turning it off and see if VGSMAIL stays connected better.
    Actually, I added IMAP without SSL just to try this tool. It connected a few times, but kept crapping out. The signal strength for EVDO in this area is great, I've never gone to 1X mode, so it's not that. Perhaps my IMAP server? Anyhow, if someone other than our friend wannatreo has gotten this successfully working well with their T700, I'd love to hear about it including what type of mail server you have, etc.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by adamt
    Actually, I added IMAP without SSL just to try this tool. It connected a few times, but kept crapping out. The signal strength for EVDO in this area is great, I've never gone to 1X mode, so it's not that. Perhaps my IMAP server? Anyhow, if someone other than our friend wannatreo has gotten this successfully working well with their T700, I'd love to hear about it including what type of mail server you have, etc.
    just for the record, I have not experienced server disconnection with an established data connection. I am using 4smartphone.net's hosted Exchange server. I have also tried this with fastmail and it worked fine. My two cents. There are lots of users on the vgsmail forum who have reported success using a treo 700:

forum.vgsmail.com
    how exactly do you TURN OFF Ev-DO?