Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I just noticed today that I'm have an issue with my BT headset and GPS receiver. Both of them work fine individually with the 700w. The problem I get is trying to use them both at the same time. No matter what I try I can't get the GPS receiver to track my route while receiving calls on the headset. The headset will stay connected to the phone when the receiver is running (I'm using Mapopolis 4.6), and will ring when a call comes in. I can even answer the call using the headset's button. But the audio won't come through the headset. The audio will function through the earpiece or speakerphone, just not the headset. The moment I disconnect from the receiver, the audio will work on the headset again. Similarly, when on an active call with the headset my receiver won't connect via Mapopolis. Has anyone been able to connect and use a BT headset while receiving active directing (not audio obviously, just visual) via a BT GPS receiver? If so what headset/receiver/program setup are you using? Thanks.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I unpaired and repaired both devices and they seem to be working together for now. Hopefully they'll continue to do so.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Well, it worked for a couple minutes. And now I can't duplicate that. No matter how I set it up I can't get both to work at the same time. I need some help from you guys to narrow down if it is my GPS software, GPS receiver, BT headset, the 700w, or some odd combination of the four. Anyone care to comment on thier experience and hardware/software?
    Well a bit late for this now smeg but that was one of the reasons I decided to go with a wired cradle....well that and keeping the Treo charged. Like USB for the first year or two BT still seems to be a little problematic on these things. In fact USB still is a PITA with the Treo.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I switch devices way to frequently for that to be a practical solution for me though. My last device, a Samsung i730 (that I only had for 6 months, a long time for me) worked great when using my BT GPS and headset at the same time. I've since got a new GPS receiver though, so it could be either the receiver or the phone's BT stack. I'm betting on the BT stack, which is why I want to hear from others using both at the same time.
    My issue is slightly different... the iTrek M3 continues to work with TomTom and the phone will even ring and be able to be answered by the BT earset (Plantronics 640 or Jabra 300)... BUT... no audio is passed to the earset and the 700 retains the audio and mic at the handset...

Basically, I cannot use the BT GPS and BT earset simultaneously.

Oddly, while trying to get the iBlue to work with my 700w, when it did work I could simultaneously use both the BT GPS and Plantronics 640 at the same time... GPS worked fine.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Thanks cognetic. That is exactly the issue I'm having. If the GPS is already running the headset will ring when a call comes in, and I can answer the call via the headset, but all audio stays on the phone and doesn't route it to the headset. Try makng a call on the headset then connecting to you receiver after you've established the call on the headset. It won't work. So it isn't just me, or the GPS receiver. But we do have the same headset (minus your Jabra). So it's looking like the problem is the 700w BT.
    smeg36,
    Yay we connect!! Boo we have to deal with this!!

I never thought it would be much of an issue until more road travel recently...

My streamline travel config consists of the 700w, iTrek M3, Monster Car Charger with assortment of iTips, an iPod Mini, a Pioneer Airware XM portable handheld, and a BlackBerry 8700...

While traveling I plug the 700w into the Monstercharger with appropriate iTip and use the iTrek M3 on battery power (thank goodness for auto-power off). I'm navigating just fine until a call comes in or I want to make a call on the 700w. Unless I put on speakerphone (Land Rover road noise is loud on the highway) I have no phone use without losing GPS... luckily I can route calls to my BB 8700... but I HATE that I have to do this.

So I'm wondering since I seem to be able to use BT earset and BT GPS before, if a hard reset would fix this?? I have purchased Sprite Back Up to accomplish this, but fear that this will be another goose chase...
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    That was the next step I was going to try later today. I have Sprite loaded as well, and just made a backup. What GPS software are you using?
    I'm using TomTom with the latest build for the 700w....
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I just installed the new 4.68 beta of Mapopolis and it seems to be working fine so far. I'll monitor if it continues to do so or now.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I'm so pissed with this right now. When I reinstall the software and repair both devices it will work for a few calls. Then randomly it starts doing it again. I'm still working on fixing the problem, but am not optimistic that I'll find a solution.
    This may help.....was in car today and BT headset just refused to work in car cradle. Unpaired / repaired.....soft reset. So I tried on more thing. Unplugged Seidio cradle. Placed Treo in cradle and all was right with the world again. Maybe removing the batteries from the BT receiver will have the same effect.

Another option of course would be to buy a Seidio cradle w/ GPS and keep th BT receiver for personal usage when ya wouldn't need the headset. I have been thinking f buyinga BT receiver for just that purpose....well assuming of course that some off road / trail software was available.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I'll try the battery thing tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion. Keep em coming if anyone else has any. I'm almost out of ideas to try, and nothing has worked thus far.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Nope, taking the battery out didn't fix it. I am narrowing in on the problem I think. If I unpair, reset, and repair both devices they work fine. It will continue to work fine until I soft reset, either by software or the reset button.

Now, my registry was set to hive based. I just changed it to file based and am waiting to reset it for a while to make sure it works. I was, however, having problems editing the registry earlier. No matter what I do, and I tried everything anyone posted, my registry edits wouldn't survive a reset. I gave up trying, and never did get the registry edits to stick.

I'm wondering if the com settings are getting saved to the registry or something. Maybe a program I installed has jacked the registry, I don't know. But I think I'm narrowing it down and almost have a solution. It's working for now, we'll see after I reset it.
    Well Smeg.....I did have some anxiety of the to BT or not to BT decision....you making me feell better every day
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Glad I could help. It appears to be a COM port issue. It doesn't seem to have any consistency though. Usually it takes a soft reset to cause the issue to reoccur. But not always. Generally, deleting the COM port and creating a new Outgoing COM will fix it. But not always. Do most people use the built-in GPS program in the settings to manage their COM ports with their GPS receivers? I've tried it both with and without that managing it, and it has no effect on my problem. I'm getting to the point where I'm going to try a hard reset and see if that solves anything. If it does I'll install all my software one at a time and see if there is a culprit in there.
    Tried the hard reset 2 days ago and that didn't work for me.... arrrgh.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Yep, tried the hard reset to no avail. I'm wondering if it has something to do with either the BT stack of the headset or GPS receiver. Do the Plantronics and Jabra you have use the same BT stack? Do they make the same noises when turning on, off, incoming call, etc.? I've found a partial solution that usually works, at least until I figure this out. The issue will always return after a soft reset, and sometime on its own otherwise. 95% of the time going into my BT settings, deleting the COM port, and re-creating it will fix the problem. It doesn't always, but when it doesn't doing a soft reset and re-creating the COM port will.

There are a couple other things I can think of as possible causes. First, I got my 700w directly from Palm, not Verizon. Maybe the registry is locked differently or something. When I hard reset and follow the directions to edit the registry it WILL NOT save the edit no matter what I do. Second, I just got a new receiver. Unlike any others I've used, it has the passkey of 0000, as does my headset. Could that cause a conflict in any way?
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I've almost gotten to that point. The point where I either throw it against the wall or call up Verizon and spend hours explaining to them what is wrong and get a replacement. Maybe a replacement wouldn't have the same problems. I ordered a Jabra JX10 today (I've been wanting to try it for a while now anyway), so I'll see if changing the BT headset helps at all. I wish my old BT GPS receiver still worked so I could test and see if the receiver type had any effect.

Anyone know why a BT GPS receiver would suddenly stop getting a fix? The battery died completely (I left it on all night, whoops). The BT still works and pairs, but it won't lock on to any satellites. I have left it out for hours trying to get a fix, and my other receiver locks on to 12 but it won't get any.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast