Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Well, my Jabra JX10 arrived today. It appears to be completely a problem with the Plantronics Discovery 640. With the JX10 it works great every time, even after a hard reset. I've always thought the 640's BT stack was slightly strange, but apparently it was the cause of the problem. Now I need to try out the JX10 for a while and see if it is a suitable replacement for the 640.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Good to know!!

Darn... are there other BT earsets with multipoint capability besides the 640? That is the essential functional point for me as I use a BlackBerry 8700 in addition to my Treo 700w.

I guess I could use on of my Jabra Earsets just for those situations where I am using the BT GPS... I will give it a try with one of those to confirm that it is just the 640 having the issue.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I'm not real sure what you mean by multipoint capability, but pretty much every BT headset can be used with more than one phone. You just have to connect from the device to the headset with most of them. On the 700w this is done by going into the Devices tab of your BT settings, tapping and holding on the headset, and selecting Set as Hands-free. I don't know how to do it on a BB though. So far the JX10 is working great, and has completely solved my problem. I was getting ready to throw my 700w against a wall or similarly hard object too.
    Multipoint pairing allows for pairing with more than one device simultaneously. Not all BT devices do this. I can for instance with the 640 accept incoming calls from both my 700w and BB 8700 without having to do anything except push the button on the headset. A great feature - at home one can connect to the home phone equipped with BT or the cell phone just by hitting the button on the earset when an incoming call comes from either.
    Smeg:

I had an issue with my 650 and BT headset today...actualy it popped up about 10 days ago and i got it to go away...now it came back and won't let go......When I get or initiate a call, BT headset picksup for 1-2 secs and then would let go. Again , soft reset / unpair -repair / remove power to GPS worked before as I had told you but not this time.

Called Seidio support and they said "bet you have beaming turned off". I have no idea why but turning beaming back on solved the BT headset dropping issue. I had turned it off like 2 weeks ago thinking it's been months since I actually beamned anything

Seidio said it's an issue with newer ROM's .
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Why couldn't you have told me this a week ago!!! Thanks BTW, it completely fixed my problem with the Plantronics. Very, very strange that the beam setting would have anything to do with it. I've always got in the habit of turning the beam off on all my devices to conserve power, but it looks like the Plantronics 640 headset (and probably others) have issues when being used with a GPS receiver and beam turned off.

Now I have a very difficult decision to make. Which headset do I keep and use and which do I sell?
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Huh, now I'm seeing another issue. The headset is now working whenever the GPS receiver is working. But when it is running and doesn't have a fix the headset won't take calls. I may end up using the Jabra after all. I'll do some more testing and see what I come up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by smeg36
    Why couldn't you have told me this a week ago!!!
    Where do I send the bill ?

OK, here's the deal ... remember that show Kung Fu with David Carradine and he explained why he helped peeps all the time....story about man falling in pit and when dude asked why he helped him, dude said, because someone helped me and asked as payment that I help others....for the next 72 hours, you have to answer all questions on the board in these subject areas:

1. What is that blinkey snowflake thingie.

2, How do I add ringtones ?

3. What is the Best BT headset ?

All kidding aside, glad to have helped out.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I'm just getting more confused with every minute though. Why would the IR beam be effecting the BT headset while using a GPS receiver? It doesn't make any sense. Furthermore, why would the fix status of the receiver effect the Plantronics headset? It doesn't make any sense. If the receiver is running with no fix, the Beam is turned on, and I'm using the Plantronics I still get the problem. Once I get a fix the problem goes away. If I uncheck the beam the problem comes back regardless of the fix status. If I use the Jabra I have no problems whatsoever. I think the course of action is clear, keep the Jabra. But I would love a good explanation if anyone had it, cause I'm so confused.
    I have always had beaming on and my Plantronics 640 does not work with BT GPS (iTrek M3) simultaneously. It does retain functionality with the button on the 640 (including ability to answer and hang up a call) but no audio or mic is passed to the earset.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Huh, that throws another confusing thing into this. After checking the Beam box mine worked fine once the receiver got a fix. In any case I'm sticking with the JX10 for now, it works great thus far.
    hey smeg36...
    I was able to get the Plantronics 640 to work with 700w for about a week of intermittent simultaneous BT GPS (iTrek M3) use with TomTom... then today it just stopped working!!

I noticed that if I was in a call and then launched TomTom with the BT GPS unit ready to connect while it was working that it would simply connect and all worked as should.... but, after it stopped working, if I did this, it would transfer all audio to hand set despite appropriate beeps in headset when disconnecting using head set button... This is weird.

Soft reset did not recover it... "Beaming" remained checked!!
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Yeah, I ended up sticking with the JX10. The beam checkbox helped a lot, but there were still weird random isses when using both with the 640. I have had zero problems with the JX10 (other than yhe volume level resetting itself after being turned off), so I'm satisfied for now. I would still love an explanation for the cause of the problems though.
    Does the JX10 have multipoint capability like the 640?
    Is it an in-ear canal or near-in-ear canal device?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I'm not sure if it is multipoint or not, I just use it with my 700w and nothing else. I would call it near-in-ear. The speaker does stick onto the edge of the canal, but not into it like the Plantronics. I actually like it that way because you get the good loud volume in the ear devices give you without that ear having muted hearing from it being plugged.
    he guys, i believe it's not working because the treo is a singlepoint bluetooth device. it needs to be multipoint in order to work with multiple devices at the same time. I'm just shoot **** out my *** right now, so please correct me if i'm wrong.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    You're wrong. Like I said, it's working great with my JX10 and Leadtek 9537. It was just a specific problem I encountered with the 700w/Plantronics 640/Leadtek 9537. Even using the Beams on fixed most of the problem with the 640. The 700w works great with more than one BT device at once.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12