1.    #1  
    i finally did it! i ordered a treo 700! i should have it early next week.
    Last edited by protonpump; 02/27/2006 at 08:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by protonpump
    i finally did it! i ordered a treo 700! i should have it early next week.
    I think you will be pleased -frustrated at times - but overall, pleased.

I truly believe from my own experiance and speaking to others that you (or at least me) will not currently find a PDA/phone that you will REALLY be delighted with, it's more a matter of finding one that meets a list of acceptable compromises.

I would STRONGLY recommend couple things:

1. After you try it a few times, UNCHECK the "Voice Command" enable box. I wish I could use it, but it seems to eat up 3-4mb of program memory and, I can tell you now, you will likely need that additional memory to surf the net, stream audio & video, etc.

2. Buy BUy BUY! The Sprite Backup utility. I know eventually that Palm will release a "free" version, but I have already in 4 weeks needed to do a "hard reset" twice. If you care at all about personalised settings, third party programs, speed dial numbers, or any data other than Outlook, you will want this program. Without it, (assuming I was able to get back to my computer) it took me 2 hours or more to do a full restore. With it, it took about 2-3 minutes.

Welcome to the club. Hope it works out well for you.

Tom
  3.    #3  
    Welcome to the club. Hope it works out well for you.

Tom[/QUOTE]

thank you
    <<i finally did it! i ordered a treo 700! i should have it early next week.<<

at least you are brave enough to admit it. are you saying goodbye to the palm world? i will stick to palm as long as there is palmOS. comeOn plamOne, bring out the 700p before more palm people get converted to window shoppers.
    Congrats!
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx

at least you are brave enough to admit it. are you saying goodbye to the palm world? i will stick to palm as long as there is palmOS. comeOn plamOne, bring out the 700p before more palm people get converted to window shoppers.

Too late for me...already converted (Cingular 8125). Palm needs to wake up. I love the PalmOS and there are things I miss about it, but..... This device rocks and the features more than outweigh having the PalmOS. I might re-consider early next year if the Palm/Linux thing works out.
    Give Us a review of what you like and dislike in a few days.

What program from Palm OS do you miss the most?
    What WM5 program do you like the best?
    Thanks,

Mark

Palm III > Palm Vx > Sony Clie PEG760N > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlissner

I miss Directory Assistant, Toccer, and Chatter the most. I hated VeriChat on PalmOS but it seems to be the best IM client available on WM5. Pocket Outlook is O.K. but doesn't support push email which isn't a huge deal for me. The overall interface of Chatter is better than Pocket Outlook. I think Microsoft is going to update WM5 soon to support push. I do like the contacts/calendar/tasks MUCH better on WM5. I also like the seamless switching between WiFi and EDGE - this is really nice! Web browsing is light-years better than the Treo. PocketIE I think does a nice job rendering the pages and seems faster than Blazer. I do enjoy multi-tasking as well. I also haven't had a reset yet *knock on wood*. So all-in-all it has been a good experience converting over to WM. Post #146 by dstrauss of this post:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...8&page=8&pp=20

gives a nice review of the device.
    <moved>
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx

Been a loyal Palm user since the Vx but after using the 8125 I am a WM5 convert. I am probably not keeping the 8125 due to the one handed operation factor but will not buy another Treo until the GSM version with WM5 is released. No 700P in my future.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Wow... PalmOS users are being converted? Wonder how widespread this will be as they did not intend the 700w to be a replacement product...just a comlimentary one.

I didnt expect many PalmOS people transitioning...
    enjoy your new toy! go wm5!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlissner

will do
    at least you got your 15 days return it
    Well I guess it depends on what you mean by converted. I'm a die-hard Mac user and longtime GSM user. But I really wanted the data speed of EVDO. I've also tried Sprint in the past and really hated everyone there I ever dealt with. I don't think T-Mobile plans anything like EVDO data speeds for at least a year or more, so I got a 700w to try. I love the data speeds but hate the lack of bluetooth DUN (remember Mac user so I can't use PDAnet). I'm having problems getting the bluetooth to work with my car so I'll likely return it before my 15 days are up unless I can solve this or get a good feeling that they are going to fix this soon. But Palm really needs to make some noise or progress on the Palm OS front if they want to keep users there. My take on on their lack of comments on ALP make me believe that they will keep tweaking garnet for the 700p then use it on low-end phones while using WM5 on their high-end phones. I will never "convert" to WM5, but I can use it if I got see other alternatives for the types of devices I want.

Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Wow... PalmOS users are being converted? Wonder how widespread this will be as they did not intend the 700w to be a replacement product...just a comlimentary one.

I didnt expect many PalmOS people transitioning...
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680