1.    #1  
    I am thinking about getting the Wi-Fi card, but how much faster than EDVO can i expect to surf and download when im at home using my 5Mbps Cable internet connection. Has anyone had experience with this?
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    It will be noticably faster, but the power consumption will be vastly higher as well. I don't think the power consumption is even close to proportional to the speed increase. Even with wifi access when I had an i730 I always usd the slower EVDO connection, even at home, to save power.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Smeg - have you used a Wi-Fi card on the 700w? I ask that because I know other folks who've used an i730, and you're right - on that device, with the way the radio works, the battery life is indeed bad. I just don't think you can compare the 700w with a card, to the i730 with Wi-Fi built in. I have one of the Wi-Fi cards, and I don't find my battery consumption all that different.

All I'm saying is - unless you've specifically used the 700w with a card, don't necessarily base your battery expectation on the experience you had with an i730. My experience tells me that the battery life isn't that bad. PLUS - with the 700w and a card, I can use data and voice AT THE SAME TIME. Yes, do active data (not just dormant) and voice at the same time. With the card connected to an access point, I can talk and surf/browse/send/rcv email, all at the same time. Can't do that with mister i730.....
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    You're correct, I haven't used wifi on the 700w yet. I'm basing my assumption on past experience of the i730. That's good yo know that the 700w isn't as bad as the i730 using wifi. If you applied the appropriate hack on the i730 you could use wifi and the phone at the same time. But as I said I rarely used the wifi. Which wifi card are you using with the 700w?
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    I am thinking about getting the wifi card for my 6600...is the browsing that much faster? Anyone measure a page loading in seconds between evdo and wifi?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I used a wi-fi card in my 6600 and found the speeds, in practical use, to be comparable to EVDO (as measured by dslreports). Overall speed seemed to be a combination of the actual internet access speed (for example many Starbucks I used seemed like DSL speed - similar to EVDO) and the device processor speed (straight downloads, like email, somewhat faster with wi-fi, but web page rendering a wash). Skype was always clearer using EVDO, but was still usable with wi-fi, which I relied on during trips to Europe.

FWIW, on the 6600, battery usage was noticeably higher using a wi-fi card than it was using EVDO. I used the Ambicom 802.11b wi-fi card - not sure if it has a high power consumption profile or not.
    to me, the big advantage of using a Wi-Fi card on the 700 is the ability to take/make calls while ALSO using data, actively. I mean, it blows me away that I can be on the phone with someone, talking about the hockey game, and AT THE SAME TIME look up the scores and such on espn, on the device. Amazing. That's the big win, to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    to me, the big advantage of using a Wi-Fi card on the 700 is the ability to take/make calls while ALSO using data, actively. I mean, it blows me away that I can be on the phone with someone, talking about the hockey game, and AT THE SAME TIME look up the scores and such on espn, on the device. Amazing. That's the big win, to me.
    I agree....does the data and voice option at the same time work for the 6600 as well?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I agree....does the data and voice option at the same time work for the 6600 as well?
    It sure does - and like nrosser says, it's a real plus to have both at the same time.
  10.    #10  
    Does anybody know how the speed compares to bluetooth reverse dun? That way i could leave my 4gig card in as well.