Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey everyone,

I just got my girlfriend a Treo 700w for her birthday. She had a Treo 650 before. In our current place, the reception with her Treo 650 was never that great but it seems to be even worse with her Treo 700.

Does anyone have any experience with the signal strength of the 700? Is it actually not as good as the 650? I cannot believe that they would come out with a Treo that has worse reception than their previous model???

Thanks everyone!
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I can say that my 700w is very bad at reception. I am in downtown Chicago. Inside most building I am lucky if I get 1 bar. I know bars mean little, so a test call from my Cingular 8125 does not get through.

Dam. I thought Verizion had good coverage. Back to Verizion it goes.
    My experience with the 650 and the 700 has been identical with regard to reception, both good and bad.
    PS: Congratulations on having a "geek girlfriend", who wants tech gizmos instead of jewelry for her birthday. I married one myself 35 years ago, and can testify that it bodes well for the relationship.
    This phone has the worst reception by a long way of any phone I've ever had dating back to the mid 80s. It's absolutely appalling. This is a cell phone after all.

I lose signal 45 miles from DC up i270 & i70. Every other phone I've had goes at least 70-80 miles from dc. I pass by at least three towers with no signal.
    Last edited by littlewaywelt; 02/24/2006 at 03:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    My reception has been perfect with my 700w, haven't experienced a dropped call yet. I found that the 700w reception is similar to my experience with the 650 on Verizon, both have been excellent.

Maybe you got a faulty unit? Try an exchange.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattalter
    I can say that my 700w is very bad at reception. I am in downtown Chicago. Inside most building I am lucky if I get 1 bar. I know bars mean little, so a test call from my Cingular 8125 does not get through.

Dam. I thought Verizion had good coverage. Back to Verizion it goes.
    Chicago reception is shaky to say the least. I'm on the NW side, and get only 1-2 bars...also get dropped/missed calls occasionally. other VZW phones in my apt also suffer from poor signal...cingular also has very little (or even worse) service in my area. seems weird...it's not like I'm in the suburbs...it's friggin Chicago!!!
    zero complaints here on the west coast. my treo 600 with sprint was an absolute horror show for me (poor reception) and my treo 650 with verizon was as good as the treo 700w. i will never go back to sprint for that reason, unless that is they have built out their tower network out here.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    I can actually say that my reception with the 700 is actually better than with my 650. I used to sit in my office with my 650 on my belt clip and I could hear it beep everytime it would lose signal, which it happened frequently. I called Verizon thinking it was a tower issue which at one point it was, but other people in the building had zero issues with their cell phones (mix of motorola, samsung, lg).

Since I have had the 700, all that went away.

As far as Verizon's coverage compared to other carriers, where our company uses it (which is in TX), we have had great success with them. I guess that's why we have been with them for 15+ years. (GTE mobilenet before Verizon bought them.)
    Please be aware that a "bar" is a totally arbitrary measure of relative signal strength, valid only for comparisons within one phone model / carrier configuration. Using number of bars to compare phones and/or carriers is not meaningful.
    I had started a post on this about 2 weeks ago. I have really poor service in certain areas and great service in others. After going through 2 phones and having verizon deny any sort of issues (and palm telling me to call verizon), verizon's data team mentioned to me that there is a known issue with the treo 700w and service in "my area" (central Jersey). Ive used it up and down the turnpike and parkway and into manhattan and have noticed very inconsitent reception.

While I agree that the bars don't necessarily mean anything, I can notice significant decreases in data speeds as well as switching over to rtt when my phone displays 1 or 2 bars. Ive decided to stick with the phone and have made sure verizon has documented my complaints and phone calls. Hopefully enough people will call and return phones and they will realize they need to fix this problem. Unfortunately for those of us that are experiencing reception problems it seems to be specific to certain areas of the country and thus some claim reception is a non-issue. If you like what the phone has to offer, I suggest calling complaining and maybe exchanging it a few times to make sure it becomes more financial sense to fix the problem than it does to keep refurbing brand new phones.
    If you are with Verizon, try doing the update, it worked for me on my 700...
    Dial *228 than option 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Budman45
    If you are with Verizon, try doing the update, it worked for me on my 700...
    Dial *228 than option 2.
    This is actually very useful info for me. My Verizon Treo 650 has great reception (I hear everyone well) but is bad at transmitting (people always complaining of me breaking up). This drives me nuts because because I have always had excellent service with Verizon. I wondered if the 700w would fix this issue. Apparently not.
    I have had issues, Did a hard reset, many softresets & plenty of updates. People complain that they hear echos, sometimes I hear them sometimes I dont hear them. Its pretty strange. Over the course of the last week 50% of my phone calls people cant hear me at all and I have to call them back and then it works fine. I called verizon today, they are sending me out a new phone. (Orlando, FL)
    More complaints from Chicago. My reception is modest at best. EVDO is very good, very fast. Reception is slightly worse than my old moto T720 but better than my friend's 650. Definite room for improvement.

I also have a strange problem maybe some others have had...a couple of times per week I will answer a call and the other person can hear me but I can't hear them. This happened with my old phone as well so it's not 700 specific. Anyone else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o
    More complaints from Chicago. My reception is modest at best. EVDO is very good, very fast. Reception is slightly worse than my old moto T720 but better than my friend's 650. Definite room for improvement.

I also have a strange problem maybe some others have had...a couple of times per week I will answer a call and the other person can hear me but I can't hear them. This happened with my old phone as well so it's not 700 specific. Anyone else?
    this happens to me several times a week too...seems weird that the reception in Chicago is so sketchy...it is a major city.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    The radio seems to be very sensitive. The reception is as good as my E815 and certainly better tham my Razor V3c
    Quote Originally Posted by markn455
    The radio seems to be very sensitive. The reception is as good as my E815 and certainly better tham my Razor V3c
    I hope so. I'm going to sell my V3c when the 700w gets here.
    Thanks everyone for sharing, I will be calling up verizon again in the couple of days and make sure that they are aware that the problem seems to be rather wide spread and that they better get their act together on this. Its not good that im building a relationship with verizon's data team. I can't understand how they could put out a product with such potential along with investing in a large advertising campaign and not care that the product is flawed. Im going to try and hold onto mine for as long as I can and hope that these are just growing pains.
    Quote Originally Posted by ucsdsig
    My reception has been perfect with my 700w, haven't experienced a dropped call yet. I found that the 700w reception is similar to my experience with the 650 on Verizon, both have been excellent.

Maybe you got a faulty unit? Try an exchange.
    Same here. I've had 6 cell phones and this by far has the best reception. Could also be though that my previous service on the other ones was with AT&T and then Cingular.

I must say, however, that I was in Bumf**k recently and the phone wouldn't work at all in an area that my others always did. It really didn't surprise me though since the other phones switched to Analog in that area and this one can't.
    Last edited by Treo 700w; 02/28/2006 at 11:31 PM.
    Treo 650 Reception Problem – Fixed?
    I'll just tell my story, and see if anyone can learn anything from it.
    I bought a used 650, the antenna was detached due to lost screw, so i replaced screw.
    It had terrible phone reception, i had no signal at my house (we do have alum. siding, which causes some problems, but i'd always had ok reception before). I thought the phone wasn't working. Downtown (Chicago) i had ok reception. Since i'd gotten a good deal on the phone, i was willing to experiment. Bought an external antenna – let me clarify this: NOT the rip-off “antenna booster,” not an inductive one, but one that plugs into the phone. There is a small plastic thinggy which pops out just below the antenna, you plug in an adapter cable, then an antenna – usually sold to put on the roof of your car, etc. if you're in a rural area.
    The signal immediately improved, and i tried various combinations, etc.
    BUT a funny thing also happened: after i detached the antenna, the signal was still much better than before.
    The adapter cable has a little pin that goes into the socket, which leads me to two theories:
    1.the pin pushes against the built-in antenna connection and made it stick to the circuit board better.
    2.(less likely) there's actually some sort of simple micro-switch which disables the built-in antenna when you plug in an external one, and that switch was sticky.
    I'm now disenclined to disasseble the phone – now that it's working better – but maybe someone knows more about the mechanics of the phone to confirm this.
    In any case, i went from no reception (i.e. - “No signal, sos only” - to 3-4 bars at home.
    For more info. you can buy just the adapter cable for $5-$10, with the antenna for $20-$30 depending on your options – look on ebay.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast