1.    #1  
    I played with a 700w for a few minutes at a VZW store. It crashed about 10 times in 5 minutes and when it did work it was incredably slow. Was this a fluke or are they all this slow.

I was looking foreward to switching to the 700w, but not if it is slower than my 600. Should I wait for the Motorola Q?
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    A store display model isn't exactly the best way to judge stability or speed. There have got to be so many pictures, videos, etc. on the phone it probably doesn't have any memory left on it to run the OS. I would bet that was the reason for all the problems.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    it doesnt boot fast enough to crash 10 times in 5 minutes
    People destroy WM display models, I've noticed. In Sprint, I have seen 2 broken models and 1 that worked, but was flimsy due to too much handling. These obviously weren't the 700w, but still. My Cingular store at first refused to put out the 6515 for a while, they said they were afraid testers would break it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by />eathwish
    I played with a 700w for a few minutes at a VZW store. It crashed about 10 times in 5 minutes and when it did work it was incredably slow. Was this a fluke or are they all this slow.

I was looking foreward to switching to the 700w, but not if it is slower than my 600. Should I wait for the Motorola Q?
    Store models are always flakey, missing parts,etc. I don't trust them to gauge a phone for usage. theBlaze74 was right in saying that it couldn't crash 10 times in 5 minutes becasue it takes about a minute after a soft reset occurs to reboot.

As far as slow what are you referring to? The EVDO connection the OS? You need to be a little more specific.

The Motorola Q is not going to have near the capability the Treo does. It has a scaled back version of WM5 and no touch screen. It's nothing more than a candybar RAZR with WM5 lite.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nuflat
    theBlaze74 was right in saying that it couldn't crash 10 times in 5 minutes becasue it takes about a minute after a soft reset occurs to reboot.
    I could be off a little. Maybe it was closer to 5 times in 10 minutes.

As far as slow what are you referring to? The EVDO connection the OS? You need to be a little more specific.
    The OS. When I clicked on the start button it would take a sec before the menu popped up! I should add that I tested a phone in another store that wasn't this slow. However, if the phone is going to get this bogged in the store without any added extra apps thn how well will it function when I added a few 3rd party apps to it?
    I can't comment on the EVDO because the rep couldn't get it to work at all.

The Motorola Q is not going to have near the capability the Treo does. It has a scaled back version of WM5 and no touch screen. It's nothing more than a candybar RAZR with WM5 lite.
    Good points. But I may be willing to sacrifice a little functionality if it never crashes (or hardly ever crashes like my Treo 600). When I was in the store I just got flashbacks to the Palm VII. My first wireless PDA that was great in coincept but it would crash constanly to the point it was unusable.

I want a device that protects my data. That's one of the things I liked about the 700W... wireless syncing so my data can be backed up on the go. If the device crashes frequently though, it takes away from this.

I'm still undecided. I may wait for the Q before deciding... if it is ever released.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    People destroy WM display models, I've noticed. In Sprint, I have seen 2 broken models and 1 that worked, but was flimsy due to too much handling. These obviously weren't the 700w, but still. My Cingular store at first refused to put out the 6515 for a while, they said they were afraid testers would break it.
    Point taken. I just wanted to test the think out b4 making the investment.

LT nice pic but where's the old one? That was one of my favorite things about this site.
    I had a 700 for several weeks and hated it. Ran slow, would slowly run out of memory due to OS leaks. As a result, required soft resets every few days to free up memory. The less memory it had, the slower it ran. I went back to my 650. To solve the syncing/backup issues, I signed up for mcommunitas.com hosted Exchange and use Chatter for push email (the host supports that) and their intellisync push application for true push PIM sync. When I make a change in Outlook (to my calendar, tasks, contacts, or notes), within about 30seconds, the change is pushed to my 650.
    I got a 700w here, works nicely... but I don't go clogging it with junk; the largest thing I have on there to run is Skype. All music, photos, and videos are being saved to the SD card and I only have a minimal set of programs installed. And I try to keep everything updated; Newest ActiveSync, Newest .NET Mobile Frameworks (for the 3rd party apps that need it), etc.

Been using Windows Mobile since the CE days, so maybe I've just become acustom to the "house cleaning" involved with making the things run nicely. Now do I reset the thing as "house cleaning" no, that would just irritate me. If it feels a bit sluggish I just hold the OK key and click Stop All. Haven't managed to get any low memory warnings (yet) or crash the thing (yet)... Honestly it's alot more stable than any device I've used in the past running a version of Windows Mobile. I had a Toshiba e335 with WM 2002; now that thing had issues... It would crash almost daily even if you took care of what you installed.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andrebsd
    I've just become acustom to the "house cleaning" involved with making the things run nicely. Now do I reset the thing as "house cleaning" no, that would just irritate me. If it feels a bit sluggish I just hold the OK key and click Stop All.
    I agree. I use the Stop All and haven't had a crash yet. (It's been about 3 weeks now...) Most of my apps are on my SD card.

D
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I love the 700w. I think it is more stable and usable than any device I have used. I have used palm since IIIXE days and switched to wm for the ipaq 4155. my first smartphone was the Treo 650, but I missed WM so I bought the samsung i730. Now the treo 700. I have to say that the treo 700 is far superior to anything I have used imho.

Sure there are some minor bugs (activesync, low memory) but what you get far out weighs the inconveniences.

Hope this helps your decision making.
    ever notice these posters talking about phones in stores not working are all in the 1-50 post range? or do they have multiple logins?
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    ever notice these posters talking about phones in stores not working are all in the 1-50 post range? or do they have multiple logins?
    Would they be checking out a phone in the store if they already had a Treo for a long time?

Thats why they are low post; they are new to the forums because they are new to using the Treo. Anyone who had the phone for a while, say an older version and looking in a store to upgrade would already know that the demo units are destroyed most the time. You would have found that out with the first Treo you got.
    I soft_reset my 700 every morning. Bout twice a week I need to soft_reset it during the day. It's a decent device, but desperately in need of an update to address memory leaks.. oh that and activesync is the devil. I use xcpuscalar to bump the processor clockspeed to 416, fixed. That helps quite a bit for snappiness. I advise against the dynamic speedstepping feature of xcpuscalar, that option gave me alot of lockups.