1.    #1  
    Says the 700w is flawed and is not recommended by ZDNet

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=2624
    Last edited by athreya; 02/23/2006 at 06:45 PM.
    Now that is tight.
    what is sad about the review is the review/reviewer himself. i only read half-way thru it as i'm rushed to leave the house. sorry David for your back pain.
    The reviewer is a moron.
    He coudn't change email boxes in Outlook w/out the stylus??????
    menu button -> switch accounts -> list of accounts.

He lost all tech guru points with that one.

tech
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_head
    The reviewer is a moron.
    He coudn't change email boxes in Outlook w/out the stylus??????
    menu button -> switch accounts -> list of accounts.

He lost all tech guru points with that one.

tech
    ...or just click left/right on the 5-way.

Maybe he was referring to switching folders. You do need a stylus for that.
    No, tech_head, I think he's right. He's talking about switching from Inbox to another folder within an account, not switching accounts. You can do this easily with a fingernail, but like him I don't see a keyboard method. (BTW, to actually switch accounts all you have to do is rocker left or right; you don't need to go to the menu.)

Many of the reviewer's comments are about genuine weaknesses. His problem is not that he's a "moron"; it's that his comments are so unbalanced. None of the features that we love merit a mention, and that's what sad.
    here is my review (actually, i've offered many more complete and robust ones):

it works for me, all of it, every bit of it, even activesync. it all works, most of it all one handed. it just works. i yet to post a complaint on this board. i'm just happy to be back on a Treo, my xv600 simply wasn't for me, either was the i730.

i like the treo 700 with WM5.
    All things being equal or in this case of the MS software for the treo 700, not being equal at all. I will gladly stick with the PALM OS! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    l agree with most of what is said in the review. Except I guess there are a lot of positive features about the phone that I also like, enough that I kept mine and like it over all. I've had the problem with the center button, I found that you can press the Enter button instead and not have the change of position problem. While it took me a while, I did discover that anything can be done without the stylus as with EXCEPT for some context menus, you know, where you tap and hold and get a popup menu. I'm surprised there aren't duplicate menus for most of these items accessable from one of the two option buttons.
    Before the Treo700 I had a palm tungsten, and I just felt like palm as a mobile operating system hadn't evolved. I get about 2000+ e-mails a day (yes, believe it or not a lot of them require my attention) and for me, the Treo just can't cut it for e-mail. But for messaging, contact management, and simple file viewing it's exactly what I need and 10 time better than the Palm OS in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by tangible
    No, tech_head, I think he's right. He's talking about switching from Inbox to another folder within an account, not switching accounts. You can do this easily with a fingernail, but like him I don't see a keyboard method. (BTW, to actually switch accounts all you have to do is rocker left or right; you don't need to go to the menu.)

Many of the reviewer's comments are about genuine weaknesses. His problem is not that he's a "moron"; it's that his comments are so unbalanced. None of the features that we love merit a mention, and that's what sad.
    Werd!

Very well written. It was very clear to me, as it was written, that the reviewer was describing folder switching, no account switching. While one-sided, there are certainly many valid points in the article. I am sure that most of us have experienced at least some, as I see them posted here.

Moron? Defined as "A person of mild mental retardation having a mental age of from 7 to 12 years and generally having communication and social skills enabling some degree of academic or vocational education", I hardly think the author represented himself as such.

Every device has its flaws, I choose to use it because it's the best alternative at the time.
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    I have used every phone/PDA out there since inception of the PDA and this Treo 700W is not nearly as bad as this this review.
    First I believe the reviewer is not a savy PDA user at all. I agree there are some areas where the pda/phone can be better,but there is not another PDA windows based phone that has batter one hand support than this one. NOT ONE.
    The "OK" button closes apps, the closed app keeps running in the background until it is shutdown vis holding down the "OK" button and manually closing these in the "running program list" There are many 3rd party apps that also allow this with different routes in achieving the final outcome of "closing" the program.
    the one hand operation in mail is great, you can do pretty much everything one handed except move mail to different folders. You can edit them one handed, you can't move yet. no biggy for me.
    the transparency of the today screen is give and take. I agree it would be better if the font could be adjusted, there are however tweaks to the system that can be easily had via a 3rd party program.
    I had the treo 650 the Bluetooth headset was horrible, the volume was non-existant on calls , the Treo 700 resolves all the issues with call volume and Bluetooth which both work superbly!

I look at the glass half full.. this is a great device, the best WM5 phone to be had at this point ( which has single hand operation) This is not a smartphone it is a PDA WM5 phone and does it well
    I think the reviewer should have had his pain meds refilled BEFORE! writing this review... he semmes a little cranky!!
    In all fairness, the thing I took from the article was that the hardware was fine but that WM5 left a lot to be desired. Frankly, I have yet to see a "glowing" review of the 700w. After all the "best ever", Editor's Choice reviews we are accustomed to from the 600 and 650 days, like grandpa's dream car, the Palm 700 is not considered the "Cadilac" of the industry with most reviews giving the equivalent of a 6/10. I think that bodes well for both sides of the Treo as 1) it puts more pressure on Palm to make the 700p/800p "impact" devices and 2) it puts pressure on WM5 to make their version "as good as the Palm version" in critics minds.

Investors are currently looking favorably at Palm but if the critics don't start writing more glowing reviews, that optimism could sour. So I expect Palm engineers and their "point headed bosses" bosses have seen the "writing on the wall" and are busily working on improvements
    Hi,

I think people get confused with WM5.
    It's *NOT* PalmOS or enything else. It's Windows.
    While I don't like Windows on my desktop, I like WM devices.
    I have owned the Following PDAs
    Newton 100
    Newton 110
    Newton 2000/2100
    Compaq Aero
    Compaq Aero Color
    Compaq 3900 series (2 of them)
    Compaq/HP 5455
    Samsung i600 Smartphone
    Now I own a Treo 700.

Maybe because I've lived with the other devices I just know the limitations and don't expect it to do everything at 100%.
    I think it does what I want as a phone at about 85%. IT can't get a higher rating because BT Voice dialing just doesn't work.
    As a PDA it does about 90% of what I want. Here again, it only get 90% because all my apps aren't ported yet.
    To be honest, since I have gotten the 700 my HP 5455 has not been used. No need.
    WM5 may not be utopia, but it's close enough, even with the limitiations and bugs.

tech
    HI, all, I am still sticking with Palm OS. When I got my Treo 300, (then treo 600 and now a 650). I had never used or even touched a pda. Palm and THIS SITE made it a snap to you. That is not something I can say about windows....I am 50 , so my first computer was a comadore 64, than a tandy model II, then about a dozen or so MS and microsoft, operated machines, (I even checked out a apple "lisa", which was the forerunner to the mac as well as an apple IIe). Yes, i do remember MS-Dos before there was windows. Microsoft has never been 100 % easy with windows and I felt turned off about trying a MS pda. Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Hey dessert:

Maybe we can get our own "Ole Farts" section here on TC ... just turned 51.
    I don't know if the review was meant to be a joke or not.

IMO, the 700w IS severely flawed, but put 64MB RAM into it and I might pick it over the PPC-6700, and certainly over the 700p. IMO.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert
    HI, all, I am still sticking with Palm OS. When I got my Treo 300, (then treo 600 and now a 650). I had never used or even touched a pda. Palm and THIS SITE made it a snap to you. That is not something I can say about windows....I am 50 , so my first computer was a comadore 64, than a tandy model II, then about a dozen or so MS and microsoft, operated machines, (I even checked out a apple "lisa", which was the forerunner to the mac as well as an apple IIe). Yes, i do remember MS-Dos before there was windows. Microsoft has never been 100 % easy with windows and I felt turned off about trying a MS pda. Take care, Jay
    Jay,

Check out this Commodore 64 emulator for Pocket PC
    http://www.clickgamer.com/moreinfo.htm?pid=4

I had an Atari 800 -- the emulator for PPC is really quite good. The Atari ST emulator was pretty good too. The Atari 2600 emulator was good as well. I haven't tried the Apple emulator. Kinda funny how the hardware platforms die but the software seems to live on forever

Eric