1.    #1  
    I'm new to this forum and I'm here to get some insight about the new Treo 700w for Verizon before I purchase it. Right now I have the Motorola E815 which I use solely for voice calls and a Tmobile Sidekick II that I use for internet, emails, and most importantly, AOL instant messenger. I'm tired of always having two devices and since my contract with tmobile has been up for months now, I would like to get the Treo. I know it will save me a lot of money (not really considering the cost of the Treo itself).

So here's my question, can you use AOL instant messenger on the Treo? If so, do you have to buy the software and pay monthly?
    There is a great Palm app for the 650 called toccer, but I do not know about the 700. Have you considered the 650? I have yet to see any reviewers rate the 700 higher than the 650.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    corollasman, check the forums...if you are a palm user, which is does not sound like you are, you may want to wait for the 700p that people estimate will be out this year! Many Palm OS users have not rated the Windows device high since it is a change from what they are use to, and the 700p is suppose to be the Palm OS version.

I am still in debates, and with having a current contract will pay full price for a phone, but have seen some of the Windows apps and like the phone....but, hesitant...with a new plan you should be OK on getting the new phone...you know, only say $400 + or so!
    Craig M.
    Former Treo600 User
    No Longer Using a Treo, but Checking the Forums for Updates and such!
  4.    #4  
    Well I'm definitely not in a rush to buy the Treo. That is the main reason why I'm on this site....to learn as much as I can before I buy it. Nobody has really addressed my question though. Is it possible to use AOL instant messenger on ANY of the Treos, whether it be the 650, 700w, or the 700p?
    I don't get the threading but I have AIM set up to go to my cell phone as a text message. You can reply to messages sent to you that way too. The SMS PDA 2000 Allowance covers the cost.
    Corollas,

I am thinking of doing the exact same thing. I have a RAZR and a Sidekick and I am tired of lugging around both items.

I have been reading this forum and a few others and this is what I have discovered. I am a newbie and if I am wrong on this, please let me know.

You wont be able to run AIM like you would on sidekick. You can't access websites like you can on SK, and the Treo is basically more for application running over hardcore instant messaging and instant email.

From what Ive read, the Treo is a bit less stable than the sidekick and you may have to back up your files and do restarts sometimes. You will have to load a lot of programs and applications to get your treo working like it should.

I heard that toccer was a good program for AIM and it mimics it well, but it's not the same.

To me the Treo is like that Mercedes-Benz you've always wanted. It's gonna break down, and you may spend a lot to maintain it. The Sidekick is like a toyota/honda. It is reliable, it will last, and it always starts...but you don't have the status that you would with the Benz.
    Verichat for the 650...it's awesome.
  8. djc
    Verichat for the 700w. awesome too
    Verichat for the 700w is a joke that doesn't work. Don't get a 700w for messaging. Get a 650 with the slower speed. I really regret switching from the 650 to the 700w. I think I could have lived without the greater speed. It's really too bad that all these companys have non-working products for the WM platform and still expect us to pay. I'd pay for a working product, not a program that should still be in BETA.
    Quote Originally Posted by onyxxxpixixx
    Corollas,

I am thinking of doing the exact same thing. I have a RAZR and a Sidekick and I am tired of lugging around both items.

I have been reading this forum and a few others and this is what I have discovered. I am a newbie and if I am wrong on this, please let me know.

You wont be able to run AIM like you would on sidekick. You can't access websites like you can on SK, and the Treo is basically more for application running over hardcore instant messaging and instant email.

From what Ive read, the Treo is a bit less stable than the sidekick and you may have to back up your files and do restarts sometimes. You will have to load a lot of programs and applications to get your treo working like it should.

I heard that toccer was a good program for AIM and it mimics it well, but it's not the same.

To me the Treo is like that Mercedes-Benz you've always wanted. It's gonna break down, and you may spend a lot to maintain it. The Sidekick is like a toyota/honda. It is reliable, it will last, and it always starts...but you don't have the status that you would with the Benz.
    It's more like the Sidekick is a childs toy where as the Treo and the like are for serious people. I had two sidekicks and both were huge jokes. Great instant messaging, though.

If you want messaging get the Palm. If you want power and stability get the Windows unit.