1.    #1  
    I am beginning to feel like my phone, which has worked almost flawlessly, has turned on me. This morning, when I try to connect to EVDO I get the message that my username or password are wrong. I do not recall setting up a username or password for EVDO. and everything was working fine last night. When I checked Settings, the user name is Verizon and there is no Password or domain listed. I have no clue what they are supposed to be. I have reviewed the documentation and can't find them anywhere. Has anyone experienced this problem or do you know what the settings are supposed to be? I hate calling Verizon Wireless for help and doing the a hard reset.

Thanks so much.
    Katie
  2.    #2  
    Well I broke down and called Verizon Wireless support and learned two interesting things. First the guy I spoke to said there is a known problem with the Treo 700 losing its broadband connection settings. They are trying to fix it. But if this happens to you the standard user name is Verizon and the password is verizon (all lowercase) and there is no domain.

The second thing I learned is that if you have an EVDO connection and you drive into an Extended Services area, you keep the EVDO connection and can continue to connect to the Internet, check email, send and receive IMs etc. (this was not the case with my Treo 600) However, if you do a soft reset while you are in that extended services area, you MAY lose that connection and you can't get it back until you get back into a EVDO area. One soft reset might not do it but if you have Sprite and do a back-up every night, two or three resets will definitely cut the cord. He told me that when I get back into a known EVDO area, I should dial *22899 and it will re-connect me to the network. So from now on - I turn off Sprite back-up when I go to the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia!

Hope this helps somebody.

Katie
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I am still slightly confused on the data settings of the 700w. On my Samsung i730 the username was your_phone_number@vzw3g.com and the password was vzw. On the 700w I was noticing extremely slow data speeds. I'm talking less than 100kb/s speed tests. So I went into my data connection and changed the username and password to those settings and the connection sped right up. Weird.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
  4.    #4  
    That is interesting. When I was on the phone with Verizon and nothing was working, the tech guy told me to change the user name and password to what you were using on the Samsung. I have not had trouble withdata speeds but if I do I might try to change those settings.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    OMG!

I thought my connection was slow. I tried the above settings and the connection in now much faster.

How do I make the settings stay even with a reset? They reverted back to the old ones with a reset.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    That's a good question. Mine connection hasn't slowed down again, but I just checked and my settings have reverted back to the original settings. I don't know how to make it stick.
    Wow - with this change, my connection is about 50-100% faster than the default settings!!
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    I tried the above changes in the Broadband Settings and didn't get much of a difference in speed changes:

Using DSLReports 600k speed tests, before the above changes my speeds ranged from:
    400 kb/sec - 600 kb/sec and a few reached 700 kb/sec - 800 kb/sec.

After the password change:
    Same 400 - 600 kb/sec speeds.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I decided to get a little more scientific about my theory and went to http://text.dslreports.com/mspeed and performed the 200k speed test. I did 10 tests with the default Verizon username and password and got an average speed of 191kb/s (I know, I get crappy EVDO speeds at home).

Straight after that I changed the username and password and performed the exact same test in the same spot of my house and everything. The average came to 191.4kb/s. Obviously both settings work, and neither one seems to achieve faster results. I think the few instances where it was obviously faster in my case resulted strictly from the disconnection after changing the username/password which forced me to reconnect.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    so...myth busted!
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I think Mythbusters should hire me now.