Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Ok, I am curious. There have to be some people here with the Treo 700w or a 650 who are Exchange Server 2003 SP2 email system administrators. Have any of you actually got Exchange Activesync OTA working?? I have spent hours and hours trying to make this work, testing for now with my Windows Mobile V SDA phone, but with the intention of eventually using my Treo 650 this way as well. Anyway, so far, it doesn't work and I don't know why. Arg...
    Mike
    I am not an Exchange administrator, but we use Exchange 2003 SP2 on our network and my 700w is working just fine (knock on wood) getting e-mail via ActiveSync.

What I can tell you, and you may want a board admin to move your post since your ultimate goal is to use your 650, is that all of the 650s on our Exchange server are using GoodLink licenses to synchronize between the devices and the servers. So that means that you might have to set up a GoodLink account at 300 bucks a pop. I don't know if you have to buy server software and a server license to go with it, or just the license.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    All in all, you haven't given enough info for a reasonable answer. What are the issues you have?

SP2 is required for Direct Push when it is released via a new ROM sometime in the next 90 days, or so. SP1 will do SMS triggered email retrieval just fine as well. WM3 and WM5 devices, however, behave differently. There are a few server options that have to be turned on and you have to have a valid SSL ceertificate.

I may be wrong, but the Treo 650 is not a fully licensed device. We could had one for a few weeks last summer and it would only do a manual sync, no SMS triggered AUTD. Unless something new comes from Palm, it will never play with Exchange the way the 700w does.
    The exchange activesync OTA works flawlessly .. i have never not once had a failed sync .. if only i could get the wired desktop activesync to work as well !
    The direct push is what I'm looking for. Looks like there is still a bit of a wait on that. I set up VZW's wirelesssync and it works just fine for what I need. Not sure it is any better/worse than the ActiveSync people refer to above.
    I got it working. It took me about a day to figure it out (the documentation is nonexistant).

--Colin
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I am not worried about the SMS push to sync yet, would be happy clicking a menu on the SDA or Treo to get somewhere. I solved the WM5 SSL issue by loading the certificate on the devices, and instead of synching, I get more errors. The whole system just seems kludgy, which makes it hard to sell to clients.

Can anyone document what they did with Exchange, and how the properties of the different IIS entries are setup?

I wonder why Microsoft doesn't have this working perfectly right out of the box? And the SSL issue, it's like Verisign paid MS to cripple the system so companies would be forced to pay for ssl certificates! Ridiculous.

I posted here, because the issue I run into with the SDA is the same as with the Treo 700w. (Both WM5 devices) I figure if I can get the SDA to manually sync, my 650 will do the same if I use a sync-enable rom on it.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by heichman
    I got it working. It took me about a day to figure it out (the documentation is nonexistant).

--Colin
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    . . . The whole system just seems kludgy, which makes it hard to sell to clients.

I posted here, because the issue I run into with the SDA is the same as with the Treo 700w. (Both WM5 devices) I figure if I can get the SDA to manually sync, my 650 will do the same if I use a sync-enable rom on it.

Mike
    What are you trying to sell to clients? The phone, an email service??? And more importantly, why do you expect a 650 to ever work with Exchange Direct Push?
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    We are using our Exchange 2003 server and syncing it with ActiveSync. It works great and we haven't had any problems. I will be interested to see how the true push email works and how much it will drain the battery life when Verizon releases the Treo 700w update. For now using the SMS notification or scheduled sync works flawlessly when configured properly.

On the certificate side for the SSL requirement, we are using our own signed certificate (no need to pay someone). The only downside is loading the Root CA on each device, although Verizon provides a signed app to do this---VZW_SpAddCert.exe.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaPen
    On the certificate side for the SSL requirement, we are using our own signed certificate (no need to pay someone). The only downside is loading the Root CA on each device, although Verizon provides a signed app to do this---VZW_SpAddCert.exe.
    Excellent info on the signed app. I suspect that it will help a lot of users. Can you post the URL to it?
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Never mind, Googled and found it HERE .
    I just dropped a copy of our exported root into my treo (from ActiveSync Explore) and tapped on it from file explorer to install. WM5 doesn't need the SpAddCert program. I simply used IE on my personal machine to export our root. You need to use the DER encoded binary X.509 format which is the default.
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    I am not worried about the SMS push to sync yet, would be happy clicking a menu on the SDA or Treo to get somewhere. I solved the WM5 SSL issue by loading the certificate on the devices, and instead of synching, I get more errors. The whole system just seems kludgy, which makes it hard to sell to clients.

Can anyone document what they did with Exchange, and how the properties of the different IIS entries are setup?

I wonder why Microsoft doesn't have this working perfectly right out of the box? And the SSL issue, it's like Verisign paid MS to cripple the system so companies would be forced to pay for ssl certificates! Ridiculous.

Mike
    Mike,

I'm not sure where the problem is but we use the 650 with Exchange 2003 sp1 without any trouble. I set is up to retrieve the mail every 5 mins or so since inbound sms is not free for my account. I have also used this setup with my 5600 before I got the treo. As far a SSL, just turn in off if you don't want to use it. You don't have to use it; it is only an option. Basically, you shouldn't have to change any IIS items, you just have to make sure that Outlook Web Access works on the server. The active sync uses the same type of connection to download the mail. If you can get to OWA you should be able to get to activesync. There is one bug with some versions of the system (sp2 I think). You can't setup Exchange to only allow ssl connections or it breaks the activesync connectivity. For my clients that require ssl I just leave the setting at the default in Exchange which allows both ssl and standard connections and then I filter out port 80 at the firewall effectively giving them external access via ssl only. There is a Microsoft work around but it was a little complicated to do so I usually don't bother. Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Mike, to be clear, you can disable SSL checking on a 650 and WM3 devices only. WM5 and the 700w do require SSL. And using Activesync without SSL is not a best practice and should only be done for testing purposes.
    umm... not exactly HalM. I ran with SSL disabled on my 700w initially because we had a cert linking issue on our OWA server. It worked fine. I do concur with your best practice observation however.