1.    #1  
    I've scoured this and other Treo forums for a decent voice memo recorder and have had no luck. So I apologize for the new thread, but a succinct solution for this problem would be great for me and others with similar needs. Here are some notes on previous research I have done:

=====

1. I have installed and tested Resco Audio Explorer. There is no real WM5 support for this app. You cannot cursor through files; there are no soft buttons; in the settings, it refers to "Calendar" and "Contacts" buttons, which of course do not exist on the 700w; the OK button does not close any screens in the app; many of the purported audio types are unsupported (but MP3 and WAV do work after some fiddling). (Note: I have not tried VITO but it looks similarly over-complicated).

2. I have tested PMVault and PMRecorder. It is non-intuitive to say the least, and I do not want to archive my memos on the internet regardless of privacy settings. I have not been able to figure out how it works, aside from that. I plead ignorance there.

3. I have used the built-in Notes app and it is just functional enough to be very frustrating. I can map it to my side key or get to it via voice command, fine. I have to re-enable the recording toolbar every time I re-start the app (I frequently close all programs from the task manager to cut down on precious system memory). Even when the recording toolbar is on, my thumb is no match for that miniscule record and stop button (what happened to those nice fat buttons on the 650?). And when I finish recording, I get for my troubles an equally small voice file icon with no time or data stamp.

=====

So here are my druthers: a one-handed voice app, with optional record-on-open, that timestamps my memos and puts them in a list I can scroll through and items I can open or delete with my keyboard. I don't need an equalizer, I don't need OGG support, I just want someone to take any plain vanilla digital voice recorder and cram it into my Treo 700w.

If anyone knows an app that can do this, please let me know. Otherwise, maybe the denizens of Programmerland can craft such a contraption.
  2.    #2  
    Bump. Nobody has anything on this other than the 1800message guy?
    Audacity will be coming out with a great one soon. Stay tuned to www.AudacityAudio.com It has all the things you asked for and more.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, Fred. I've used Audacity's Mac audio application (assuming it's the same company) and as far as free sound editing goes, it's pretty good. I'll keep an eye out for it.
    Chewybrain,
    I think the Audacity you are speaking of is a different company. This Audacity specializes in handheld audio. They do have PC applications, but they are primarily support tools for handheld recording and dictation products. Audacity currently has products for the Treo 600 and 650 and several other Palms as well.
  6.    #6  
    Ah. Thanks for the clarification.
  7.    #7  
    Okay, so the first VITO application I tried was SoundExplorer. I stick with my original assessment that it was too convoluted and user-unfriendly.

However, I found on PocketGear a new product (at least I'm guessing so by the 1.0 version number) called Audio Notes. Link here: http://vitotechnology.com/en/products/audionotes.html.

This looks more promising. It won't (as of this version) auto-record on startup, but there is WM5/soft-key integration. Left soft key to record, again to stop. I can set my side button to launch the application, although I'll lose easy access to Voice Command. I can live with that.

The software is a 14 day trial, I will test it out and see if it's worth $19.95. But it looks satisfactory so far, and I haven't seen anything from that Audacity group that was mentioned earlier.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I'm using personal mobile vault from of all people microsoft, it's free and it lets you record calls and store stuff offline:

http://1800message.com/default.aspx#dl
  9.    #9  
    sanjsrik, please see my original post where I debunk the 1800message application as useless, [edit: potentially] privacy-violating and cumbersome. I appreciate free software, but not under those terms. Thanks for your input, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by chewybrain
    I've scoured this and other Treo forums for a decent voice memo recorder and have had no luck. So I apologize for the new thread, but a succinct solution for this problem would be great for me and others with similar needs. Here are some notes on previous research I have done:

=====

1. I have installed and tested Resco Audio Explorer. There is no real WM5 support for this app. You cannot cursor through files; there are no soft buttons; in the settings, it refers to "Calendar" and "Contacts" buttons, which of course do not exist on the 700w...
    I too was quite frustrated with the Resco Audio Recorder, HOWEVER as I continued to play with it I noticed that the "Windows" and "OK" buttons ARE pre-assigned different functions.

Pressing the "Windows" button immediatelt starts a new voice memo. Pressing it again allows you to pause the recording.

Pressing the "OK" button always STOPS recording or playback (if you press "Windows" after pressing OK" you will begin a NEW voice memo).

....and of course....

"Center" button plays back the current or "selected" voice memo.
    "Up" and "Down" are used to select a voice memo from the menu above.
    "Left" and "Right" are used to FAST FORWARD and REWIND.

I agree this application need some reworking for the Treo 700W. Seeing how promptly Resco as reworked some of their other apps for the 700w, I suspect that this one will be addressed soon. That being said, it is still "fairly" usable in its present condition. I hope that an updated version becomes availiable before the 14 days trial is up, or I'll probably just keep reloading the demo version until it DOES become availiable.

Tom
    Bump... Anyone find any new voice memo apps. that work well with the 700W/WX? That's one thing I miss from my 700P... its built in voice memo.
    I was also frustrated that Palm took the voice memo app out of the Treo 700w.

Although this is a variation on your specified druthers since it routes your recorded note to your email inbox, i find it works better than a normal voice memo since I primarily work in Outlook and am constanly converting emails to tasks and appointments:

Try looking at Voiceminder
    Have you guys tried mVoice? A Windows Mobile 5 version was just announced about 2 weeks ago.
    It's been mentioned above but there is a new version of VITO AudioNotes (1.1):
    http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=21235

I find it crazy simple to use. Seriously, it's like you open it and hit a soft key...that's it. I guess the 1.0 version was more cumberson. Give it a shot...I swear by that application. It can do a lot.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    A little bit of a different concept, but one that is hugely useful and easy - is VoiceMinder from WebIS. You install it, configure it one time with a From and To email address (they can be the same, i.e from you to yourself), then assign it to a hardware button. From then on, press the assigned button, it will start recording your voicenote, press the assigned button a second time, and it stops recording and emails a .wav file to the configured address.

This is a great app. For more info, see:

VoiceMinder product page

http://justanothermobilemonday.com/W...da-ambassador/
    Ummm... Nobody took a voice memo function out of this phone...

Just go to NOTES and MENU and SHOW RECORDING TOOLBAR and you ar eon your way.. set the quality if you like or have them go to the memory card.. its all in settings... Nothing else required.. at all!
    The problem is I can't program a soft key to just "press and hold", then "record", and "release to stop recording" like I could on my previous devices like the HP 2215, HP 6315 and Samsung i730. I really miss this feature. I liked being able to be driving along in my car and think of an idea and reach over and grab my PDA press a button and record. That's not possible with the Treo 700w. That has always been one of my favorite features on a Pocket PC. I tend to forget things amost a quickly as they enter my mind so making a quick recording has been a crutch for me with my previous devices. Why they would omit this feature makes no sense to me. It may have something to do with the addition of the cool features that Palm has added to make the PDA a more user friendly phone.
    VoiceMinder will do exactly that. You press a hardware button once, it starts recording. Press same button 2nd time, it stops recording and sends the recording to your specified mail account as a .wav file.

Quote Originally Posted by aupetdoc View Post
    The problem is I can't program a soft key to just "press and hold", then "record", and "release to stop recording" like I could on my previous devices like the HP 2215, HP 6315 and Samsung i730. I really miss this feature. I liked being able to be driving along in my car and think of an idea and reach over and grab my PDA press a button and record. That's not possible with the Treo 700w. That has always been one of my favorite features on a Pocket PC. I tend to forget things amost a quickly as they enter my mind so making a quick recording has been a crutch for me with my previous devices. Why they would omit this feature makes no sense to me. It may have something to do with the addition of the cool features that Palm has added to make the PDA a more user friendly phone.