1.    #1  
    I don’t really have a nice newbie guide written up as I just got this working 10 minutes ago. but I am sure some of the gurus on this board will be able to clean this process up and improve upon it:

Gleaned from this awesome article here:

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/ind...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Here is what you need:

1- Mac or PC with a wifi card
    2 – wifi card for your treo (I use the socket E300)
    2 - Mysaifu JVM

http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~dat/java.../index_en.html

(it’s free and it works, please let me know if you find something better – see below)

3 - http://www.winmobiletech.com/sekalai...oopProxy.class

On your Mac/PC create an *AD-HOC* wireless network, assign a static IP of say 3.3.3.1, no default gateway

On your Treo assign a static IP to your wireless card 3.3.3.2

Once your wireless card is running and connected to this ad-hoc network the treo and the mac/pc should be able to ping each other

(and PS this works great with WEP enabled on the ad-hoc network as well)

Process:

1 - Copy the .class file to the / directory of your treo
    2 – install mysaifu jvm
    3- connect to EVDO using pocketIE
    4 – run mysaifu, type HTTPSnoopProxy in the class field, assign 7 megs of ram (this seems like the magic number) and add 8080 as the command line parameter, press execute

If you enabled console you will see a blank grey screen without info (you will start seeing erros as it starts working)

5 – Configure your Mac/PC proxy to point to 3.3.3.2:8080

Go nuts!

Thus far I get a latent 200k or so

I find a sort reset helps clean up when you are done

Also make sure the treo doesn’t suspend as my wireless card didn’t like that one bit

I hope all the more seasoned users here will test the heck out of this and improve upon the process and perhaps which JVM to use

As an addendum.... WEP does seem to make this not work right....
    BUT I found another java proxy server that works:
    http://jsocks.sourceforge.net/

works great with jeode..... getting as much as 290-320k!

BT
    Last edited by btsipenyuk; 02/21/2006 at 03:25 PM. Reason: New Info
    ---bump---

I havent had a chance to do this yet, but i cant believe this wasnt a more popular thread. I have ben holding off until dell gets my new laptop to me, and i was hoping pdanet would have the bluetooth dun by then.
    Last edited by theBlaze74; 02/28/2006 at 08:49 AM.
    WOW! So this is basically reverse DUN, but via wifi? That's pretty cool!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    cool stuff!
    I wonder how the speed compares to reverse DUN, and also, i wonder if this means i have a "portable hotsopt". Meaning that others around me can connect as well.
    WOW!!! I'd been lookin' for somthin' like this forever.
    I have a imac and i'm soon to purcase a macbook pro. Are you POSTITVE that all this info is accurate and i won't be wasting my money on an air card and wifi card? I'm literally begging for a newbie tutorial on this.

(I'm buying an air card, wifi sd, and a macbook pro IMMEDIATLY if this works!!!)
  7.    #7  
    ... yes this works great so far... a few things I learned while playing with it.
    I have not really had a chance to test this on the PC side so I don't know how well it works

1 - XCPUclocker helps while running the jsocks at 512mhz
    2 - WEP def still has issue
    3 - While anybody can theoretically hop on your portable EVDO hotspot they have to know the IP scheme (or start sniffing I guess) and also you can do user authentication on jscosk
    4 - the "background' evdo connection doesn't always stay on and the wifi indicators take over the status bar so you have no way of knowing... the keepalive data hack seems to help
    5 - on the socket E300, disconnect from the ad-hoc network before you pop the card out

I have no idea what impact this has on battery life but I figure it's pretty bad, so I just hook up a USB charge cable to my powerbook while this is cranking

the BEST I have gotten is about 420k for a few hours just downloading some test file.

Also I used jeode JVM with jsocks

here is what my LNK looks like

90#\windows\evm.exe -Djeode.evm.console.local.keep=false -cp "\;\jsocks\socks_apps.jar;\jsocks\socks.jar" SOCKS "\jsocks\socks.properties"
    On the portable side, I'm assuming this is really my only choice for my macbok pro that I'm about to purchase. But at home, is it worth it (buying an aircard, wifi card, and hounding you till i get it right), or should i just pay for a cable connection at the house?
  9.    #9  
    I would guess that as a broadband replacement it's a bad idea for a few reasons..... first and formost is that data will stop when a call comes in, I don't miss that from the modem days.

Also verizon's policy towards "excessive" bandwidth usage is pot luck at best, I would imagine if they see usage that is too out of whack potentially you can have issues
    Has anyone try it with ipod touch etc? thanks
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    I think wmwifirouter is more stable. I don't think it is compatible with all devices however.