1.    #1  
    I just fired up windows media encoder, to publish a 320x240 stream of the same thing that shows on my home theater screen. I hit the url from my laptop and it streams perfectly. When i hit the url from my treo, i get the message "file cannot be found". Has anyone tried this? Does anyone know if Verizon blocks ports? Thanks.
  2.    #2  
    I am pretty sure this is because of Windows Media Player's limited Codecs, as i have had luck with watching videos with 3rd party players on the 700w.

Does anybody know how to add codecs to windows media player? Or of another third party video player that will allow streaming?
    I use orb.com (FREE) and a USB TV encoder ($100) to stream 80 cable channels from home. Works great. Note that this violates the VZW EVDO use agreement so if you do it, use it sparingly (yes, even the "unlimited" version)
    Palm Treo 700w, Motorola Q
    Fully Converged, Cell Phone Videos
  4.    #4  
    Ok, i will look in to it. Why is it free? Is it open source? Also, i notice they only support about 4 tv cards.
    Their minimal support for the hardware is because the MPEG-2 hardware encoder must be present within the hardware itself. My guess is they make money off their partners like Creative, Netgear, Sprint, etc. It's an interesting business model to say the least.
    Palm Treo 700w, Motorola Q
    Fully Converged, Cell Phone Videos
    <moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  7.    #7  
    thanks sourmash, That makes sense about the limited video card support since I think i remember hearing that a licensing fee is required for the mpeg 2 codec. But somehow the open source solutions seem to get around that.
  8. pfr
    Quote Originally Posted by sourmash
    I use orb.com (FREE) and a USB TV encoder ($100) to stream 80 cable channels from home. Works great. Note that this violates the VZW EVDO use agreement so if you do it, use it sparingly (yes, even the "unlimited" version)
    Does any streaming content violate the user agreement?
  9. pfr
    Quote Originally Posted by sourmash
    Does any streaming content violate the user agreement?

I just saw PocketStreamer Deluxe and was thinking about getting it.
    Anyone have experience with this or something better?

Thanks!
    Pam
    Yes it technically violates their TOS... Have they ever stoped anyone for it? No. - I think it's just there incase someone goes bonkers with EVDO and starts torrenting all day and watching bloomberg video streams or something.

http://web.palm.com/products/communi...uestid=219033#
    Unlimited PDA/Smartphone Plans:These VZEmail plans cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device’s nativeapplications & capabilities permit unless you subscribe to the Tethering Feature; (2) for any applications that tether your deviceto laptops, personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync Solutions, unless you subscribe to the Tethering Feature; (3) for uploading, downloading or streaming ofmovies, music or games unless offered through Get It Now or V CAST; (4) with server devices or with host computer applications, including without limitation, Web camera posts or broadcasts,automatic data feeds, telemetry applications, automated functions or any other machine-to-machine application; or peer-to-peer(P2P) file sharing, and/or (5) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections.