1.    #1  
    My wife and I are thinking of upgrading to a Treo 700. I found out tonight that it can take SD cards. We both currently carry USB Jump drives to carry files between work and home. When the jump drive is inserted into a USB port, Windows recognizes the jump drive as just another drive. We can then simply copy files between the jump drive and a HDD in Windows Explorer.

If we get a Treo and a SD card, can we manage files between a tethered Treo and the computer in the same manner? When the Treo is tethered via the USB cable, does it/SD card show up in Windows explorer? Can files be copied without using ActiveSync?

Does the Treo 650 differ in how it handles this?

Thanks,

Steve
    I wouldn't want to use the Treo that way as it would be VERY slow to move the data around. What I've been doing is using a USB SD card reader that works and looks just like a USB stick. The one I bought is here:

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=p...tem=GFR202SDW6

One thing I'm not sure about is how the Treo handles syncs when the card is not in the phone (I have my email attachments saved to the card). To be safe I've been turning on the phone THEN removing the card so that it knows the card has been ejected.

That may be on the fringe of silly superstition but I read elsewhere of issues with eject/insert with the pda off. Anyone care to comment or enlighten me?
    You could use Softick card export II to achieve what you want to do. For small files (100's KB) the speed difference does not really matter.

Card Export II PPC emulates industry standard USB Mass Storage device on Windows Mobile or Pocket PC handhelds.
    Quickly install applications to the storage cards or file stores
    Fast audio and video content transfer to the cards. Transfer your MP3 files to the cards using Windows Explorer or your favorite file manager.
    Use flash card as a floppy for any data
    Fast backup and restore of your card content
    Perform storage cards maintenance. Format your flash cards, undelete files and check filesystem integrity using desktop operation system utilities from your desktop PC or Mac.
    Supports multicard configuration
    Supports read/write and read only modes.
    http://www.softick.com/pocket-pc/cardexport2/

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 02/20/2006 at 04:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pepeLePew
    We both currently carry USB Jump drives to carry files between work and home. When the jump drive is inserted into a USB port, Windows recognizes the jump drive as just another drive. We can then simply copy files between the jump drive and a HDD in Windows Explorer.

If we get a Treo and a SD card, can we manage files between a tethered Treo and the computer in the same manner? When the Treo is tethered via the USB cable, does it/SD card show up in Windows explorer? Can files be copied without using ActiveSync?
    You can use one of these just like your jump drive:

http://store.treocentral.com/content.../7-40--577.htm

Or you can use Softic Card Export II to do it over the HotSync Cable.

http://www.softick.com/cardexport2/
    I have got to get one of those usb sd cards just on the basis on cool factor. Especially since the price just dropped on the things.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Hmmm.... no sense in buying another 1GB card, but as soon as they come out with a 4GB version I'm all over that!

shadowboxer - you're a self proclaimed nanotech nerd? Do you work in the field? (I do too)
    pepeLePew, you can transfer files via the USB cable (or slower via Bluetooth), however ActiveSync does have to be running. You'll see "Mobile Device" in the Windows Explorer and then you can just navigate to the storage card a few clicks later. Or, like others have suggested, just pop the SD card out of your Treo and put it into a card reader and have immediate direct access. The latter would be more akin to your current thumb drive situation. The SD card with the built-in USB dongle would be a perfect fit.

I just ordered a 4GB SD card (arrives today) to store more movies, tv shows and MP3s, but also to store a few backups of important data as well. For me, it's about as much effort to pop out my SD card and put it into my reader as it is for me to plug the USB cable into the Treo, but most of the time I just use the USB cable since it's a few inches closer to my keyboard
    Palm Treo 700w, Motorola Q
    Fully Converged, Cell Phone Videos
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    I tried out Card Export2. It is a nice program, BUT it places an icon at the bottom of the Today Screen, and uses up a whole (now wasted) line.
    Does anyone know if this can be removed, (or moved up to the Bluetooth icon area?)
    Thanks.