Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o
    Apple & oranges for sure. My brother just got the 650 and wanted to know how to bring up the onscreen keyboard. It's a simple tap on wm5 but took me a minute to find b/c I'd never used POS. Hmmmm....maybe I should start a thread...
    That's always an issue when switching OS - I've used Palms since the original PalmPilot and WinCE since 1.0; I prefer PalmOS but EVDO and multitasking was enough to get me to make the switch.

WM5 is fine (although I wish they wouldn't waste screen space on menu bars and hate the wait to switch apps) and has a decent set o programs available to meet my needs.

My main gripe is that my phone crashes about once a day, so that I have to do a soft reset. Yesterday it froze during a call when I decided to switch to a BT headset - turned BT on, turned on teh headset, sleect connect via BT and bam - locked up and dropped call. It may be my phone which is why I will get it replaced - my 650 did the same thing until I got a replacement.

If Palm's 700p has ECDO and multitasking and at least as much memory as the 700w I'll probably switch back because of my preference for POS. YMMV

Go Bucks. Any year we beat ND and tSUN is a great year.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dnheller
    Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!
    From all the rumblings at Palm, it looks like you're gonna get death!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekktek
    LOL the 650 has an onscreen keyboard? What for...
    I don't even know where it is!
    As a former Vx user, I was gonna go looking for 3rd party app to add it when I got my 650 before I realized I liked the KB better....but now yu guys got me curious....I'd like to kno too.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Interesting debate. Mostly juvenile complaining on both sides. I am 600 user waiting for the 700p. I have looked at the 650 as only a modest improvement on the 600. Camera and screen clarity are way better and the bluetooth functionality. 700w seems pretty cool. I detest the idea that the screen is actually smaller or less resolution than the 650. That is a step back. But the ev-do is terrific. I too have played in the store with Verizon's 700w. The speed of the web is outstanding. The functionality of the wm5 is something that although obviously less intiutive and more steps is capable. Plus it is hard to deny the value of multi-tasking. With my 600, I routinely use the MP3 player in the car with an irock transmitter and have the GPS going with the mapopolis nav. The processor seems seriously challenged by it. The GPS scroll is noticably slower when the music is going at the same time. Having a more powerful processor and better resource distribution of that power through a multi-tasking wm5 environment is definitely worth something. I am waiting for the 700p to view it with the same scrutiny as the 700w. It may be harder to make this call than I originally thought. I like palm os but I am not hell bent on it. Where WM5 is better, it should be pointed out and appreciated. I also imagine the apps on palm, which are great, will begin to be represented equally on WM5. Once that standard gets more popular, more apps will make it to market and the creativity will come.
    Just buy one of these already 60 times more storage space and ya can phone and look at maps w/o incident.

http://cydoor.ssiamerica.com/products/neo35/index.shtml
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    A change of vehicle can handle both the Nav and the mps connections without a phone interface. But, I do like both the palm format and the 700w that I looked at. The data plans on the two systems (sprint and verizon) are different by more than just a token few bucks. Right now with sprint for $10 i get unlimited texting and unlimited data. i think it is $45 at Verizon with another $10 for the unlimited texting. THat is $55 for something i get from Sprint for $10. That may be the kicker when deciding between phones
    this treo700 and wm5 are definitely a step forward. I've been on the internet for over 10 years. I've had windows since 3.1, I think it was. I work with sophisticated healtcare software and a socalled "robot" everyday. I've made web pages. so, I live with technology everday and I can say this device and its wm5 is great!!!! a lot of downfalls have to do with our not knowing all the little things that have to be set correctly. we have to moniter our machines. we have to delete the clutter when it piles up. and we have to be careful what we install. I am far far from an expert but with my experience living with technology I can say this is a step forward. this is technology and fun and sexapeal mixed in one.
    this thing is great. thank god were able to afford this and enjoy it.
    Last edited by protonpump; 03/18/2006 at 03:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by robkz
    A change of vehicle can handle both the Nav and the mps connections without a phone interface. But, I do like both the palm format and the 700w that I looked at. The data plans on the two systems (sprint and verizon) are different by more than just a token few bucks. Right now with sprint for $10 i get unlimited texting and unlimited data. i think it is $45 at Verizon with another $10 for the unlimited texting. THat is $55 for something i get from Sprint for $10. That may be the kicker when deciding between phones
    For me its the "if you don't do it Bill's way" stuff.

1. Sorry ActiveStink gonna give ya problems.
    2. Sorry can't send SMS to lock ya lost phone, need Exchange Server

More and more, MS tries to leverage you into buying more and more of their products and using only their products. If you resist, and make other choices, you have problems. Palm still permits you to make choices as to what is on and not on ya device, MS is less tolerant in that vein.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Agreed on the above points. I hate the monolith but sometimes attaching to the borg makes you calm and productive.
    I keep finding myself responding to 700w posts which i sometimes don't recognize cause they coming up in "new posts" list.

I'm like, "whaddya mean ya can't wipe data from your lost Treo.....these 3 apps do that easily .... whoops sorry no apps do that for 700w I am a doofis."

Or "whaddya mean ya can't turn Treo radio on and off at different times of day.....these 3 apps do that easily .... whoops sorry no apps do that for 700w I am a stoopid."
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234