Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm208
    Hello , I do need to state that the call quality is better on the 700w than the 650. It also has a better speakerphone. I still stand by my issues with one handed operation. WM5 is nice if your sitting in front of with full attention and both hands. But it still lacks simplicity and some of the functionality of Palm OS.The Palm OS also has some of the best most original 3rd Party apps ever made. Snappermail 2, Pda Net, Directory lookup for entire USA etc... Windows will never appeal to me unless they give a major overhaul.Unless they hire Palm directly they will never succeed at making a good Phone OS. I really cannot wait for the 700P. Im eager to jump right in as soon as sprint releases it. My wish list for the 700p is :1) Thinner&Lighter 2) More RAM 3) Better Email Push APP Standard 4) Duplex Speakerphone 5) Larger Keys Like Blackberry
    6) Better Camera. I would pay up to 1000 for a phone that had all these functions.
    WM5 has great 3rd-party apps as well, POS doesn't have a monopoly on this. I suspect you're not looking in the right places, or loading the right apps. You should ask the WM5 gurus like Hobbes what they recommend, he's got some solid picks for you.

Saying that Microsoft will never succeed unless they hire Palm is more than a little ridiculous. Palm can't even get a working WiFi solution that doesn't involve strapping a Cadillac to the back of the Treo. WM is on the way up, PalmOS, in its current incarnation, appears to be dead, especially in light of Access' recent announcement of PalmLinux. People are leaving PalmOS, not flocking to it.

As far as your wishlist, the only chance you have is the push email app, you've got no chance with the rest of those. And the email app will be Chatter, so if you're not crazy about that, you're outta luck. The 700p will be an awful lot like the 700w.
    I'm back!
    I demoed both the 700w and the 6700 for a few weeks each, and I have reached the following conclusions:

1) WM is the way to go
    2) I miss EV-DO on my 650. I will get the next (first?) thumbboard EVDO phone with 64MB+ RAM on Sprint, and I'm hoping it'll be a WM device. I will not pick up the 700w or any 32MB RAM WM device.
    3) NetFront is the only browser worth having on any mobile platform.
    4) Sadly, NetFront doesn't do so well on the 700w's limited memory.
    5) A 6700 with its ample RAM was a joy to use and if I can get it cheap on eBay, I'll go back to it.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    There was some talk about soft resets....

Remember how Windows 95 used to crash alot? Reboots were very common, almost daily for me. It's alot like soft resets are on PDAs now. XP is much more stable than 95 was. I think Windows Mobile will get to that point.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ebadger
    There was some talk about soft resets....

Remember how Windows 95 used to crash alot? Reboots were very common, almost daily for me. It's alot like soft resets are on PDAs now. XP is much more stable than 95 was. I think Windows Mobile will get to that point.
    WM3 Smartphones pretty much had to be treated like Win 9X boxes and reset daily. If you did that, they worked great, in my experience.
    I do love my Treo 700w, the interface and the usability of it. Yet the one thing that continues to blow my mind is how Microsoft can make such a bad product. The contant reboots and soft resets, not just on WM5 but on Windows XP as well. It's abolutley ridiculous to have to do this all the time.

Seems that I have to do a soft reset of my Treo at least once a day to "clean up" the memory.
    My XP machine is very stable. I guess I forget that some people don't know how to groom their process list. I can see how the system could become unstable for someone who doesn't know what they're doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    ...but no one I do business with would be subjected to the speakerphone since they are considered rude in the business world. I bet most of us use bluetooth anyway and I have never heard anyone say that Treo's bluetooth is better then the PPC6700.
    Rude? Myth! You must not do much business if nobody you "do" business with would be subjected to speakerphones. Unless you work with a bunch of prima donnas.

I use speakerphone mode and the people I call use speakerphones frequently, and with zero complaints. They are a neccessity in some situations and environments. Everybody understands their limitations, in my experience.

As for bluetooth headsets.... I never fail to get a laugh from all the half-assimilated Star Trek Borg victims with their bluetooth headsets flashing, walking around talking to themselves. Talk about nerdy (and rude... they think having a headset exempts them from excusing themselves to take a call without annoying others)! And you gotta carry TWO chargers when traveling, phone and headset (unless using the Palm Bluetooth headset which uses same charger as the Treo 650/700).

Nobody on the planet is so important that they have to reach me so instantly that I need to wear a headset while eating a meal or taking a leak. Lord, how did we ever survive without instant email, phone calls, etc.?

I'll stick with my speakerphone and use it while on my quota incentive reward trip to the Caribbean. I can't understand how I did so much business while being so "rude" to my customers and co-workers.
    Day-Timer (1995) > Palm Pilot 5000 (1996) > Palm Vx (1999) > Treo 600 (2003) > Treo 650 (2006)

Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!
    My XP machine is very stable. I guess I forget that some people don't know how to groom their process list. I can see how the system could become unstable for someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

It only took a decade or more for MSFT to create a multi-tasking OS with decent memory management ("decent" is relative) that didn't vomit a blue-screen of death whenever you try something non-standard.

I won't yet trust a WM smartphone.

I enjoy having quick-draw duels with my co-workers who use WM and crackberries. When I challenge them "look up and dial so and so's number at headquarters", the WM guys fumble with the stylus, the crackberry users do the crackberry two-handed prayer, while I'm already waiting for the call to be answered by the guy I've dialed with two button presses on one hand.

Maybe the WM guys don't know enough about their phones, but they are simply conditioned by bad MSFT UI design on Windows PCs to use the Start menu for everything. MSFT simply dumbs-down everything across their product lines to a lowest common denominator, even if it violates principles of good man-machine interface.
    Day-Timer (1995) > Palm Pilot 5000 (1996) > Palm Vx (1999) > Treo 600 (2003) > Treo 650 (2006)

Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm208
    Just visited my local Verizon Store and played around with the new Treo 700w for 30 minutes. I must say that this phone is a major step back from the 650 in the usability area. Menus and simple every day navigation are too complex for one handed operation thats needed in day to day operation. Every thing simple on the 650 is turned into a complex menu or sub menu task on the 700w. Speakerphone is simple tap on the screen for the 650 and a two click menu on the 700w. conference calling is an even bigger pain in the neck requiring menu taps as well. adding pics to contacts can be frustrating at best. Camera is sluggish and often freezes up. Videos sometimes wont even register. Forget threaded SMS like on the 650. Many people consider the 650's best feature. I use it 24 hours a day to keep in touck with biz partners and freinds. After messing around for 10 minutes i still couldnt figure out how even send an sms. But i do know that wm5 does not have threaded sms for a fact. I dont like it! I consider palm with windows total crap and one of the biggest mistakes palm has ever made. By them developing this phone it definitly pushed back the new treo with palm. They wasted an entire year on this phone. Its really unusable and has no appeal to me at all. Another downside is that it cannot sync with palm desktop<one of may favorite and most important contact databases i own.
    i want my treo 700p already and im losing patience. For now the biggest competitor to treo 650 is Blackberry 8700. The 8700 has better call quality, better speakerphone, better email handling,and better browser than treo. Its also better keyborad and easier to dial on while driving.The downsides are no threaded sms, no camera or video, and no extrenal mem card.
    I agree with what you are saying with the exception of the 8700 browser. I had two of these things and granted it is the best BB that RIM has produced but the browser still sucks! The Treo 650 hands down cleans the floor with the 8700. The main reason I turned in my 8700's was the blue tooth was crackling every time I took a call. I used three different head sets that worked perfectly on my Treo so in the end I turned them in.
    Is that some sort of lame pot-shot? Stick it, geek.
    Quote Originally Posted by dnheller
    It only took a decade or more for MSFT to create a multi-tasking OS with decent memory management ("decent" is relative) that didn't vomit a blue-screen of death whenever you try something non-standard.

I won't yet trust a WM smartphone.

I enjoy having quick-draw duels with my co-workers who use WM and crackberries. When I challenge them "look up and dial so and so's number at headquarters", the WM guys fumble with the stylus, the crackberry users do the crackberry two-handed prayer, while I'm already waiting for the call to be answered by the guy I've dialed with two button presses on one hand.

Maybe the WM guys don't know enough about their phones, but they are simply conditioned by bad MSFT UI design on Windows PCs to use the Start menu for everything. MSFT simply dumbs-down everything across their product lines to a lowest common denominator, even if it violates principles of good man-machine interface.
    I'll race you using Voice Command any time
    Quote Originally Posted by rdstoll
    Is that some sort of lame pot-shot? Stick it, geek.
    I'll race you using Voice Command any time
    I'd take that challenge. With my Treo 650, I press the green phone button, press two letters and my wife's name pops up. I move the D-Pad down one or two as needed and press the center button to dial. I tried out Voice Command on the PPC-6700 when I had that for two weeks (and a similar voice dialing app for the Treo 650) and both were a lot slower from start to finish.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Did you have voice confirmations on or off? I doubt that you will win.
    You can say "show eric badger" and then tap the location entryl.

We should add 20 contacts to our address book that are identical and then call each one of them one at a time and see who finishes first.
    dnheller, if your trips are oly to the Caribbean then I feel sorry for you. Can't be that much of a quota to get such a lousy vacation. Find a company that challenges you and then rewards you well for it. And, for legal reasons also because of the sensitivity of my business practices speakerphones are not good. Any publicly traded company who regularly uses them in public or open settings is asking for huge issues concerning privacy, legal and security...but you would already know that being a superstar, worlds greatest whatever who is to busy to slip that extra bluetooth charger in your grip but always has a speakerphone nearby. My bluetooth came with a battery based charger option which I find very small, handy and efficient. Sounds like you are still just jealous because your T600 doesn't have bluetooth.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    BTW, in case anyone remembers, MS didn't get a stable OS, NT 4, until it purchased the people from DEC. They then used this code base to produce 2000 and XP. So is WM5 still on the dos/win95/win98/winme path until they purchase something that works on smartphones? Out for POS?
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi
    BTW, in case anyone remembers, MS didn't get a stable OS, NT 4, until it purchased the people from DEC. They then used this code base to produce 2000 and XP. So is WM5 still on the dos/win95/win98/winme path until they purchase something that works on smartphones? Out for POS?

Um I doubt most people remember something like that since it, oh I don't know, didn't happen that way?

The VMS team defected to MSFT before the first version of WINNT came out, not for version 4, so any shortcomings in previous versions you have to lay at their feet as well.

Also, Win95 is based on the Win32 service layer, which was developed for WIN NT, as much as it is on DOS, so there goes the second part of your point.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi
    BTW, in case anyone remembers, MS didn't get a stable OS, NT 4, until it purchased the people from DEC.
    Do you mean that they purchased the company or hired the people? The phrase that we are "slaves to MS" is figurative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o
    Apple & oranges for sure. My brother just got the 650 and wanted to know how to bring up the onscreen keyboard. It's a simple tap on wm5 but took me a minute to find b/c I'd never used POS. Hmmmm....maybe I should start a thread...
    LOL the 650 has an onscreen keyboard? What for...
    I don't even know where it is!

Bek
    Quote Originally Posted by dnheller
    As for bluetooth headsets.... I never fail to get a laugh from all the half-assimilated Star Trek Borg victims with their bluetooth headsets flashing, walking around talking to themselves. Talk about nerdy (and rude... they think having a headset exempts them from excusing themselves to take a call without annoying others)! And you gotta carry TWO chargers when traveling, phone and headset (unless using the Palm Bluetooth headset which uses same charger as the Treo 650/700).
    Two points:

BT headsets are a great way to listen into conference calls without holding the phone (and still have some mobility by not being tethered to it via a corded headset)

I use an IGo charger - one charger for my laptop, Treo, BT headset, iPod and PSP.

Nobody on the planet is so important that they have to reach me so instantly that I need to wear a headset while eating a meal or taking a leak. Lord, how did we ever survive without instant email, phone calls, etc.?
    Individual rudeness is a function of the person; not the technology.

While I often use a speakerphone it is not always appropriate in my work setting.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast