Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alsdweoir
    Probably a dumb question - but, what is threaded SMS?
    I'm not sure the previous quote on this question was relevant to the question (maybe a mis-click). Threaded SMS, to the best of my knowledge, is the same as a threaded discussion (like here at TreoCentral forums). The result is more like IM conversations ("sessions"). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    but no one I do business with would be subjected to the speakerphone since they are considered rude in the business world.
    Hmm. We use speakerphones all of the time for conference calls. This device is quite functional when we need to bring a few others into an impromptu meeting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Well stated! This is the best constructive criticism I've read in a LONG time. I blame Palm for letting this happen. WM devices never had this level of simplicity but Palm knew better.
    Actually, this is a Microsoft UI standard with WM5. I suppose it's possible that Palm helped to influence that decision if they really were working closely with them over the last couple of years. But in any case, the soft button design that was implemented is now a MS standard. If you use Visual Studio .NET to develop, there's even an included control for it in the toolbox that you can drag and drop onto the form when designing your application. I have an idea for an alternate toolbar which I'll look into developing once I have some spare time.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Ok, I'm willing to become a convert, but I have some reservations. I bought the 700w when it came out, worked with it for 2 weeks and returned it before my 15 day VZW trial period expired. Here are the 4 reasons I returned it:

1. Poor one-handed implementation. I tried the native Pocket Outlook, Agenda Fusion and Pocket Informant. All of them required frequent stylus use unlike my Agendus PIM that I use stylus-less with the 650.

2. The email client is missing the ability to bcc each sent message automatically, through a setting. Also, signature composition is weak.

3. You can only sync with 2 computers. I sync my 650 to 3 different boxes (home, office, laptop).

4. I hate that WM adjusts the time of appts in the PIM based on the time zone you are in. I think someone has posted the proper way to handle this, so this is probably a non-issue.

For those of you who have played with the 700 for a while, am I off somewhere or my points valid?
    Beryl, with all due respect I tried using a Treo for a business conference call and it was a disaster. Cell signals are not reliable enough and clear enough for group settings. Honestly if it is important enough to win business then have the right equipment.

I think what some are getting confused about is if you enjoy your Treo experience and don't wnat to switch then go on with life. If you simply have a hate factor for anything MS then admit it and move on. Just do not hide behind lame excuses like it takes 2 button pushes to do something versus 1...
    Windows Mobile + Palm = suckiness that sucks for all suckitude in perpetuity.

In two months:
    twenty soft resets
    two hard resets
    three reinstalls of ActiveSync

Buh-bye 700w. I don't care how cool it is to stream radio stations.

Simply.
    Not.
    Worth.
    It.

Give us PalmOS. Now.
    amazingly intuitive after a while.
    That's hysterically funny!

Isn't "intuitive after a while" an oxymoron?

Painting watercolor is intuitive after a while.
    Coding is intuitive after a while.
    Flying the space shuttle is intuitive after a while.
    Tightrope walking is intuitive after a while.

MWAH HA HA HA HA!

Dope.

Windows Mobile is garbage on the Treo, especailly after you've been using a truly intuitive handheld OS like Palm. Y'all are just making excuses for an OS that is AS UNSTABLE AS PALM OS EVER WAS and does not take full advantage of one-handed functionality.

My girlfriend as a 650 and I've compared the two side-by-side.

Advantages:
    700w - EVDO... zooming fast connection
    650 - everything else

Simply not worth the hassle.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Beryl, with all due respect I tried using a Treo for a business conference call and it was a disaster. Cell signals are not reliable enough and clear enough for group settings. Honestly if it is important enough to win business then have the right equipment.
    Obviously. Note the qualifier:
    an impromptu meeting
    There are times where we may need to have others in a room hear a conversation and the "proper" equipment is whatever device can do the job. For planned meetings we use Polycons.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJoe
    Buh-bye 700w.
    Buh-bye JoeyJoeJoe. Enjoy whatever device works for you.
    great stuff!!! not sure why i read it. treo 700's work, not sure why yours doesn't, mine works great!

mine works! woo hoo! it works! all of it! every bit of it! i must have the only one that does! it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree with the guy who started this thread, on at least one point. From here on out I will gladly refer to the previous software as "POS".

-that is all
    I know it shouldn't be accepted business practice, but soft resets are just part of owning a PDA. All the devices in my signature list, without exception, had to be soft reset occasionally. Maybe not 20 times in 2 months, but certainly more often when I was installing new programs or hacking whatever could be hacked on it.

If nobody ever installed new software on their PDAs, what kind of control group would that offer in terms of required soft and hard resets? Probably much less. But adding new apps to a PDA is half the fun of having it in the first place. In that case I just ... how do you say ... "suck it up".

To the speakerphone issue, I must agree with the dissenters. The sound quality is passable, but the full duplex is more like 90 percent duplex. During conversations, at least a few times one of us will have to repeat if there is enough overlapping in speaking in the course of the call.
    Whoa. Half-drunk and cranky last night. Bit whiny there. Sorry.

Still stand by my points, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by chewybrain
    To the speakerphone issue, I must agree with the dissenters. The sound quality is passable, but the full duplex is more like 90 percent duplex. During conversations, at least a few times one of us will have to repeat if there is enough overlapping in speaking in the course of the call.
    I must agree with this one. Quantity and quality are fine but we do have a duplex problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by chewybrain
    I know it shouldn't be accepted business practice, but soft resets are just part of owning a PDA. All the devices in my signature list, without exception, had to be soft reset occasionally. Maybe not 20 times in 2 months, but certainly more often when I was installing new programs or hacking whatever could be hacked on it.
    I see you never owned a Kyo 7135 or a BB7130. Those phones were/are rock stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    I see you never owned a Kyo 7135 or a BB7130. Those phones were/are rock stable.

I got a lot more lock-ups on my Kyo 7135 than I've had on my 700w. I agree it could be better in some aspects, but as long as one keeps an eye on not having too many open applications (I use the Close All application frequently), I haven't had many problems. I use Sprite Backup automatically early every morning and it automatically does a soft reset - I wake up to a nice, fresh PDA each day. It could use some tweaks, but the more I use it, the more I love it and see great potential.
    mmm208??? Where are you?

Wow, Shadowmite and others; you guys really put it to him
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    By intuitive after a while I meant and stand by my statement that (I will type slowly for you JoeyJoeJoe) that the OS is intuitive and I found that out over a period of use not that the OS got more intuitive over time. Reread and stop twisting words. If you are just here as a troublemaker then sober up and log out or at least check into rehab.
    As a former Palm OS user, I find the Treo 700 much *easier* to use one handed, specifically because functions are accessed through the hard keys. I do not consider having to prod the screen with my fingers one handed use.

If I had to choose between using 3 clicks on a hard button vs. smearing my fingers all over the screen I would take the 3 button clicks every time.

I have the touch sreen diabled during phone calls to prevent doing anything from the screen touching my face, but still have full access to all functions, something that wouldn't be practical on a 650.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Hello , I do need to state that the call quality is better on the 700w than the 650. It also has a better speakerphone. I still stand by my issues with one handed operation. WM5 is nice if your sitting in front of with full attention and both hands. But it still lacks simplicity and some of the functionality of Palm OS.The Palm OS also has some of the best most original 3rd Party apps ever made. Snappermail 2, Pda Net, Directory lookup for entire USA etc... Windows will never appeal to me unless they give a major overhaul.Unless they hire Palm directly they will never succeed at making a good Phone OS. I really cannot wait for the 700P. Im eager to jump right in as soon as sprint releases it. My wish list for the 700p is :1) Thinner&Lighter 2) More RAM 3) Better Email Push APP Standard 4) Duplex Speakerphone 5) Larger Keys Like Blackberry
    6) Better Camera. I would pay up to 1000 for a phone that had all these functions.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast