Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Im located in central NJ abou 50 miles south of NYC. I can have my treo 700w displaying 0/1/2 bars sitting next to another verizon wireless cellphone displaying full signal strength. I already replaced my phone twice. In fact, one time I was dropping mine off someone was picking up a treo because he was having the exact same problem. I have used it up and down the Parkway and Turnpike and into NYC and have noticed many areas were service all of a sudden drops down severly and the voice quality is rather poor.

Finally, after calling night after night to Verizon Data support team, they admitted to me that the 700w has service issues in "my area." Their suggestion is to replace the phone for a different model. Im not sure what im going to do now because I really enjoy the nice feature of the treo and am willing to deal with it shortcomings. However, not being able to recieve phone calls and have clear conversations is unacceptable. Im hoping to figure out wether the problem is due to faulty hardware or service. It appears that if you are not in close proximity to a tower the device doesn't get much reception. Thanks!
    I agree, the reception on the 700 is poor. At 3 key locations for me (home, office and in laws) I have 0 to 1 bar and often end up being unable to make a call or dropping it. At work or IT department was testing a 700 to replace our 650's with (Cingular) and sent the phone back after a week. The key tester said "I love the WM5 and the 700 form factor, I love the EVDO, but as a phone I cannot recommend it because of the poor reception".

My 2 week trial period is almost up and I need to decide if I'm going to keep it or not. I want to keep it, I really, really like it, but if it doesn't work as a phone 1st, then it's useless to me.
    Sprinttreo--that's weird. I'm in Seattle as well and from a reception standpoint my 700 performs at least as well as my wife's 650 and a heck of a lot better than my old Samsung i600. I'd actually give it high marks for reception.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    My Treo 700W actually has the best reception of any cellphones that I have owned. I am in Minneapolis. I had a Samsung i730 prior and had coverage problems at home.
    I can't say I have reception problems either. I just moved to TX from NJ. While in NJ, I lived in Middlesex County and worked in Mercer County and NYC. Always good reception. Previously I had the XV6600 and with the Treo, I was able to get a signal in some areas where the 6600 couldn't pick one up. Hopefully they'll be able to resolve whatever your issue is.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I am in a fringe area and my reception has been exceptional - no calls dropped or went to voicemail even with one to no bars. Use #*#33284 to get an idea of real signal strength. Mine has gone all the way down to -99 dB and still held call.

Frank
    Use #*#33284 to get an idea of real signal strength.
    Can you explain exactly what im looking at when i type that in? Which is the signal strength?
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    The first line, RSSI Value, gives a relative indication of Rx signal strength in -dB; the lower the absolute value, the stronger the signal. At full bars, I get between -65 to -68 and with no bars, -98 to -99. The other value of interest is the SID in case you want to select other bands in Phone Options. It is the ID of your home location. Even number -> Automatic B, Odd number -> Automatic A. Mine is 110 so I use Automatic B or Home.

I try to always look at the real signal strength in comparing different devices as signal bars can be inaccurate and/or misleading.

Frank
    2 thumbs up in south florida... Awesome phone...absolutly no issues with signal strength; it even gets great reception in my walk in closet! My other phones always crapped out when near the entrance.....
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Where at in South Florida? I'm in Miami beach and get good signal everywhere. It definitely beats my Samsung i730's signal, so I'm happy.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I too notice better reception on the 700 than I had on my Motorola V710. Outside of town there is an area that loses signal and I can still make phone calls almost 5 miles past where my 710 would drop out...Even with no bars this thing works fine for me around my area (western colorado)
    Quote Originally Posted by smeg36
    Where at in South Florida? I'm in Miami beach and get good signal everywhere. It definitely beats my Samsung i730's signal, so I'm happy.
    I'm way in Northwest dade....by Miramar...the 700w gets better reception than any of my other phones hands down. In my business I rely heavily on being accesible on my cell, and it has not let me down at all....
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Im located in central NJ about 60 miles south of NYC...
    I've got a Treo 650 (and previously a 600) and I have very few problems commuting in the same areas as you are. Maybe you should consider the 650, or just get a cheapo phone and wait till the 700p comes out - maybe it'll work better...
    Keyman & SprintTreo - it appears that you are the exception. I have very good reception as well. I cannot say it is the best reception of all phones I've ever had. I think my Kyocera 7135 was the best but the Treo 700w is better than my Treo 600.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I too line in Central NJ, monmouth county / Freehold area. I have anywhere from 2 to 4 bars depending, but have had no trouble making of receiving calls.

Evan when I only have two bars, the 700w connects. When I have two bars I am still able to connect to EVDO for email at pretty quick speeds...

If you are getting and making calls I would not worry about the bars???
    Checking the RSSI # my signal strength flucuates between 90 and 91 sitting in my office. I can hold a call but the caller fades in and out.

Ntaylor- I'm on the eastside and run into signal strength issues over by Eastgate (Attachemate, Honda dealer) area.

Would updating the PRI help any??
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinttreo
    Checking the RSSI # my signal strength flucuates between 90 and 91 sitting in my office. I can hold a call but the caller fades in and out.

Ntaylor- I'm on the eastside and run into signal strength issues over by Eastgate (Attachemate, Honda dealer) area.

Would updating the PRI help any??
    It might help if you haven't done it in some time and it couldn't hurt. I would wait to do it until you get to a little better signal loccation since you probably don't want to lose the signal in the middle of updating. I am in a fringe area between two towers so I can see my Channel # on the Debug screen switching between two values as I go from one side of the house to the other but I can hold a call going from one side to the other. The wonders of technology!!!

Also it would be interesting for you to find a friend with another 700 and check out their signal strength next to yours. If yours is much different I would go for a replacement.

Frank
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinttreo
    Funny, aren't the Verizon local corporate offices just a tiny bit East of that? You'd think they'd be all over that if there was a dead spot. I'm in Seattle proper and not often over there, but I'll try to remember to look at my signal strength next time I am. In the meantime, I agree with other recommendations: try to find a comparison--your original post is unclear whether you had more than one 700. But if you're also comparing to Cingular, that's apples and oranges, you may be in a bad spot for Verizon, but I don't think it is the phone's fault.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I've got to agree with Beryl - the Kyocera 7135 seemed to be the best, but of the Treo's the 700 definitely outperforms the 650 and the 600. I've get on the elevator in my office building (6th Ave 51st Manhattan) and with the 7135 maintain a clear unbroken connection down to the lobby. The 600 dropped a call as soon as the elevator doors closed, and the 700 keeps the connection almost all the way down to the lobby.
  20.    #20  
    Thanks for all of the great responses. They have convinced me to hold onto my 700 for a little longer. What I don't really understand is that when I use voice command to check signal strength (is there another way or way to get a more acurate reading?), it says it is 30% for 1 bar, 60% for two, not sure what 3 bars would be and 100% for 4 bars. Im honostly not using this phone yet for many calls because I haven't moved over my main number to verizon. Thus, I can't speak to dropped/missed calls, but I haven't really been too happy with the quality.

Jaws, I seem to being seeing the same thing you are. Im in Marlboro and get 2 bars around my home. As soon as I get on Rt. 9 by tenent rd, my signal jumps to 4 bars. Im assuming this is due to tower proximity or verizon store repeater which is in Manalapan.

For the couple of people in Manahattan, I would see similar results going through the Lincoln....2 bars most of the way then a jump up to 4. While doing some work at Tower31, 31st between 5 and 6th, I got 1 or 2 bars on the lower floors. Im still not quite sure what to make of all this, perhaps the 700 does not accurately display reception.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast