Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. c0w
    kinda late posting this but I've actually been very impressed with the reception on the 700w. I live in santa cruz where reception is a huge issue and I've been getting great reception in places where my samsung was not. At work, in places where i would only have 1 bar, I get atleast 2 - 3 bars with the 700w.. =D

Devices: HTC Mogul, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, mpx200
    Accessories: Spectec SD Wifi card, Piel Frama case, Globalsat Bluetooth GPS Receiver, Socket Go WiFi! E300
    he other value of interest is the SID in case you want to select other bands in Phone Options. It is the ID of your home location. Even number -> Automatic B, Odd number -> Automatic A. Mine is 110 so I use Automatic B or Home.
    Mine was an even number as well.. Should i use Automatic B or Home? Does it matter? What is the difference? Thanks
    This phone has the worst reception of any handheld phone I've ever had.

For posters in FL, of course you get good reception...it's flat there.

In the DC region I lose my signal a full 30 miles before I lose signal with my wife's phone going west, right after I cross over the first range of hills just west of Frederick.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I think that you have a bad 700 and I would try at least one replacement. My 700 has very good reception in a fringe area and it certainly isn't flat here.

Frank
    It is far from flat in Colorado and I have great reception.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt
    In the DC region I lose my signal a full 30 miles before I lose signal with my wife's phone going west, right after I cross over the first range of hills just west of Frederick.
    Not sure what phone your wife has, but you might consider your individual phone to be the problem (i.e. get it replaced). I was just through Frederick last weekend and had EVDO most (2/3) of the way to Hagerstown. You talking about the I-70/US-40 area or some other "west of town" area?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Not sure what phone your wife has, but you might consider your individual phone to be the problem (i.e. get it replaced). I was just through Frederick last weekend and had EVDO most (2/3) of the way to Hagerstown. You talking about the I-70/US-40 area or some other "west of town" area?
    exactly.
    I lose signal just after crossing the first range outside Frederick on i70 (where it goes from three lanes to two. My wife's phone holds a signal all the way to Clearspring mm and exit 18.
    My wife has a cheapo LG4400. I had the same phone for three years.

Would they replace it with a new phone or a refurbished one? I also have the insurance plan. Are there any keywords I need to use to explain the problem to a Verizon tech? Do I just take the phone into a Verizon store?
    I am an IT guy and am piloting the 700w as the 650 replacement.

Uh..I just reordered a 650 again (cingular). the coverage on the 700 with VZ sucks.

But I love WM5 and PPC in general. I just can't stand to carry multiple devices (phone and pda).

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinttreo
    I agree, the reception on the 700 is poor. At 3 key locations for me (home, office and in laws) I have 0 to 1 bar and often end up being unable to make a call or dropping it. At work or IT department was testing a 700 to replace our 650's with (Cingular) and sent the phone back after a week. The key tester said "I love the WM5 and the 700 form factor, I love the EVDO, but as a phone I cannot recommend it because of the poor reception".

My 2 week trial period is almost up and I need to decide if I'm going to keep it or not. I want to keep it, I really, really like it, but if it doesn't work as a phone 1st, then it's useless to me.
    I was at a VZ store yesterday looking at a VX6700. I specifically asked the tech. people which phone they see more of and they said the Treo. I asked why and they said "lock ups and poor signal".
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt
    Would they replace it with a new phone or a refurbished one? I also have the insurance plan. Are there any keywords I need to use to explain the problem to a Verizon tech? Do I just take the phone into a Verizon store?
    Probably a refurb if they have any yet. No keywords I can think of - your description in your original post was pretty clear (i.e. comparing two phones side by side like you did).
    Within the last week, my 700w has been dropping calls at work, at home, in the car on the way home - all places where I have never previously had problems. I called Verizon Wireless and the customer service rep told me that the earlier Treos are known to have signal problems and that a software upgrade (only currently available at Verizon Wireless stores) is the only potential fix.

I'm going to my local store tomorrow, and if their "fix" doesn't help, then I'm going to request a replacement via warranty exchange. I've been a Verizon Wireless customer for some time and have never had signal strength issues. I'm pretty convinced that it's the phone itself.
  12.    #32  
    Thanks for the post Jussnb. Wondering in what area you are located? Let us know how your trip to the store works. Hopefully they have finally resolved this issue that they've been trying to sweep under the rug for two months.
    I'm in LA, and my experience has been that the 700w has been my best phone by far signal wise, and the calls are so clear it's like talking on a land line. YMMV.
    I'm a little south of Pittsburgh. I'll certainly post an update if I get any answers.
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzword
    I'm in LA, and my experience has been that the 700w has been my best phone by far signal wise, and the calls are so clear it's like talking on a land line. YMMV.
    Up until a week or so ago, I would wholeheartedly agree. My calls were crystal clear, and I had NO problems at all. Now my calls are cutting in & out consistently...if I even have enough signal to receive them in the first place.
    Dial *22899 to make sure your phone is hitting all the towers
    I agree. I had great reception until recently. Maybe it is the weather.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12