Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Im pretty pissed at this whole situation-why does the data automatically disconnect? it doesnt bug me while web surfing, but during messeging applications, staying connected is crucial. there is really no point to purchasing these programs if they only work half-assed. any way to get the data to stay on besides that magical data hack that doesnt work?
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    My guess would be the permanent data connection would suck the battery life even more than the bluetooth does.
    Also, a permanent live data connection renders the phone side useless, even with EVDO.
    Well, the true answer this is probably pretty straight forward. The Verizon hardware I'm sure has port limitations for simultaneous use. When networks are built, they are built based on average usage with spikes. If everyone had a nailed-up data connection, it would require probably 10 times more hardware than is necessary. Nearly all communictions hardware has an idle time-out because of port limitations.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    The thing is, I am not sure how this Treo will ever do Push without a permanent data connection.
    News reports said this was a bug that would be fixed in a few months. But for now there's a registry hack that allows you stay permanently connected, it's much better for e-mail or quickly checking something on google without the annoying delay. As far as I can tell it doesn't use any additional battery life. Unfortunately, the hack doesn't "stick" so you need to redo it after every soft reset.

Specifically, go the following key and change the Always On Dword to 1:

localmachine\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\7C4B7A38*\Connections\Broadband\Always On