1.    #1  
    I use my treo with vgsmail for push email from my imap server. It stays connected most of the day. I noticed that I am slowly draining memory a little at a time. When I open programs IE, AS, Messaging and close them, the original memory that I had is not reclaimed. Is this normal? By the end of the day I am down to 9mb free. I have to soft reset to get all the memory back. On my 650 the free memory stayed solid unless I installed additional software. Is anyone else seeing this problem on the 700?
    just to verify -
    you are closing them from the "Running programs list" and not just via the X on the top of the screen ..
    Correct?

--r00t
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Wow, down to 9MB. I start at 9MB after a soft reset! I think I may have to hard reset and see what can go to reclaim my space. For clarification, when I install a program to the main memory, does it go toward Storage (I think so) or Program memory? My program memory seems extremely low, even after a soft reset. I do have the same thing happen though, my memory slowly leaks throughout the day.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
  4.    #4  
    never had this happen on the 650. i am closing from the running programs list. so, smeg36, do you reset everyday?

is this a treo or wm5 problem? what is everyone supposed to do soft reset every few days?
    Do you have other software installed besides the standard apps that came with it? I've been running with PDANet and WirelessSync always active. I use TomTom on the Treo about once a week (usually just use the XV6600) and I'm constantly writing notes, accessing contacts, sending text messages, etc. etc. No memory issues to speak of...yet.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by r00t 4orce
    just to verify -
    you are closing them from the "Running programs list" and not just via the X on the top of the screen ..
    Correct?

--r00t
    I have the same problem and convinced it is due to push or scheduled email applications. The memory drain happened very quickly with Wireless Sync but it also happens with SEVEN. I'll start off with 12.5MB after a soft reset, answer a few calls, send a couple of text messages, and read a few emails. In about 6 hours, I'll have 5MB free with all programs closed!

I usually notice it when I attempt to bring up a web page and PIE closes as soon as it is started. I then reset and start again.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I reset multiple times a day. I do have many, many programs installed, most to the SD card. The few programs that have to be stored on the Device are (PDANet, PhoneAlarm, HandySwitcher). I also have scheduled email having my POP account check every 10 minutes and Activesync setup with an Exchange account. I just did a hard reset and haven't installed anything but PDANet yet, and so far it is working great. The only real issue I have is even after a soft reset (prior to the hard reset I did today) if I tried to run Messaging, Agile Messenger, and PIE they would close because of the lack of memory.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Quote Originally Posted by wannatreo
    I use my treo with vgsmail for push email from my imap server. It stays connected most of the day. I noticed that I am slowly draining memory a little at a time. When I open programs IE, AS, Messaging and close them, the original memory that I had is not reclaimed. Is this normal? By the end of the day I am down to 9mb free. I have to soft reset to get all the memory back. On my 650 the free memory stayed solid unless I installed additional software. Is anyone else seeing this problem on the 700?
    as for the t700, yes, i believe memory does leak. my example: 12-14mb after a soft reset. launch goodlink, 8-9mb....start receiving emails, txt msgs...5mb....internet explorer and web browsing can take me to 2-3mb....what does seem to happen is that memory also "comes back" on its own and not because i have forced closed open programs. have any of u noticed this by any chance? just wondering.
    I've never seen my memory just come back on its own after leaking down like that, but I wish it would.
    I also have a hunch (unverified) that the memory leak may be responsible for sometimes not getting my emails pushed over from the Exchange server via the AUTD method. I have started checking the memory levels when I notice that I'm not getting my mail and it's almost always <5mb (this is usually with only ActiveSync and Outlook messaging open). If I do a soft reset and don't start any programs the messages will start coming through again. If I open up messaging to read my mail the memory levels drop again and eventually I stop getting my email and have to soft reset.

More testing is needed before I can verify this though. Anyone else notice anything similar?

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm getting tired of explaining to people "Hang on, I need to re-boot my phone".... Was this common on the Treo 600/650 as well? I work in product development, and I can't fathom someone signing off on a device or operating system that needs to be reset on a daily basis. Yes, I'm looking at you Microsoft....
  11.    #11  
    there was not much memory on the 650 to begin with but it never drained. it is also more reliable in general than wm5, it may not have ActiveSync or windows media player but it works and, for the most part it's stable and fast.

BTW, the ChatterEmail developer mentioned to me that he is working on a total PUSH solution for Exchange and the 650, not just email but for all the built in PIM apps! He might have a beta ready by April he said.
    Nope, no memory coming back here. Once it is gone, it only comes back with a soft reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelynch
    I also have a hunch (unverified) that the memory leak may be responsible for sometimes not getting my emails pushed over from the Exchange server via the AUTD method. ...

More testing is needed before I can verify this though. Anyone else notice anything similar?
    Yep. SEVEN stops pushing when the memory is low.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelynch
    I don't know about everyone else, but I'm getting tired of explaining to people "Hang on, I need to re-boot my phone".... Was this common on the Treo 600/650 as well? I work in product development, and I can't fathom someone signing off on a device or operating system that needs to be reset on a daily basis. Yes, I'm looking at you Microsoft....
    I haven't had that problem - yet. Usually I can get phone calls pretty well. I only have problems doing anything else if the memory is low. The last converged device I had that which was totally independent of the OS was the Kyocera 7135. The phone would crash and reset without interrupting the conversation! That was an amazing phone. If only it wasn't so slow, supported EVDO, etc. etc.
    I am also having this memory drain problem and it's starting to drive me crazy. I do not use push email yet so I think we can rule that out, at least as the sole problem. Here is a full breakdown of my device and usage:

I have only had the device for about a month and, except for this new problem and sudden syncronization problems, I love it. Other than the stock programs it comes with, I added the following: Resco Explorer with Today Plugin, Registry Add-in, and FTP Add-in; Spb Finance; Pocket Informant; eWallet; ListPro; and ThinkOutside Stowaway Keyboard. All programs are installed directly on the device.

I am unclear whether adding additional programs reduces the program memory or if that is reserved for running programs only. Regardless, after a soft reset I am always starting at 14m of memory which I would think is more than enough.

After I start running programs the memory begins to drain quickly. I always fully close a program when I am finished with it (the exception sometimes being Pocket Informant because I am in and out of it so often...but even that one I'll shut down completely when my system starts gettig sluggish). However, no matter what, I never regain the full 14m of free memory. Furthermore, I have noticed the memory drain getting progressively worse (i.e. more and quicker memory loss every time). It has reached the point where I cannot even multi-task without runnng into problems.

The biggest problem lately seems to come with trying to run Windows Media Player and PIE. Even with all other programs closed, the device freezes up and one of the programs (usually media player) shuts down. Another new problem I am attributing to memory is when I use the camera. I can take a pic and save it but when I try to take a second pic, the screen stays black ad doesn't register a new image, even though all the other functions work. I need to close the program completely and then re-open it to take a second picture.

I thought I traced the problem to Pocket Informant (which would be horrible since I love that program). I uninstalled it for a while and it did seem to make a small difference in that I had more memory to work with but it didn't stop the memory drain...only left more memory to be drained.

As I said, it is getting progressively worse. The device had no problems for the first couple of weeks and ran blazing fast. Now I am soft resetting a couple of times a day, system freezes constantly, I cannot multi-task, camera isn't working properly, turning off keylock is extremely sluggish, etc. I could go on. If anyone has a similar program setup or knows how to fix this problem please let me know.
    aboz, I have similar problems... I can start the day with a soft reset and get around 9-10MB free, then by the end of the day I'm down to 5 or 6 MB with no tasks running (task list shows nothing). There's definitely a memory leak with this OS... hopefully MS will fix it in a future update.
    Palm Treo 700w, Motorola Q
    Fully Converged, Cell Phone Videos