1.    #1  
    Yes another push email thread. I have been testing vgsmail (www.vgsmail.com/ppc) on the Treo 700w for the last few weeks and here is what I think so far:

PROS:

-Adds true IMAP IDLE push email support to the built in Messaging application on most WM5 devices including treo 700.
    -Todays release seems most stable so far (2/15)
    -I have tested it with fastmail and Exchange (4smartphone.net) IMAP servers, they both support IDLE (which is what chatter also requires)
    -I receive mail within a few seconds of it hitting the server
    -Supports sending and receiving of attachments
    -allows for different inbound and outbound servers
    -Keeps read and unread message status flag in sync with server
    -keeps the verizon data connection open but dormant when no activity
    -supports downloading of headers, full message, or user specified amount
    -can limit the number of messages synced to a user specified last # of days
    -currently free but developer will be charging around the same price as chatter

CONS:

-When messages are received containing HTML, vgsmail converts HTML portion to an attachment- which causes an attachment icon to appear in Messaging. In other words, most messages will appear to have an attachment when they don't really have one. Misleading.
    -Seems like there could be a memory leak problem, some users have reported this but it could just be what everyone is generally seeing with WM5 (memory gradually vanishes over time and it's more noticable on the 700).
    -Does not support the uploading of sent mail to sent folder like chatter, only INBOX stays in sync not Sent mail folder with server.
    -Disconnects/loses contact with server sometimes and especially in 1xRTT/EVDO fringe areas (where the phone jumps back and forth between the two signals). I had to turn off EVDO in order to prevent this. I am testing this solution now.
    -Doesn't always reconnect automatically to server when needed
    -In EVDO mode, battery drains faster because the data connection is left open. I used to get 2 days of use out of my 650 and Chatter, now I get 1 with the 700 in EVDO mode. Testing now with EVDO turned off (I will just turn it on when I need to stream video/audio etc.)
    -When new mail arrives, New Mail notification window does not support a soft key to directly launch the Messaging application. The window has a VIEW button but it's not accessible from the keyboard and requires the use of the stylus. I generally just dismiss the notification by pressing the HIDE soft key then press the left soft key to launch messaging.
    -Reminder settings in S&N don't trigger a reminder for a missed message and the LED flash option is not offered on the treo. Solution - PhoneAlarm, works great and adds Chatter-Like notification options that are missing in vgsmail.
    -Can't delete or change profile name once created

The bugs that remain seem minor, except for possibly the auto reconnection and memory leak issues (the solution may be just a soft reset every few days). So, if you want true push email today and can't live without chatter on your treo 700, this is the only game in town. Since it's IMAP, it will work with most servers that support IDLE including Exchange (many exchange servers also support IMAP). Just remember to turn off EVDO when you don't need it (to save battery life and prevent data signal flipping) and pick up a copy of PhoneAlarm for better notifications and a blinking LED when new messages arrive, the two programs seem to play nice together.

I think vgsmail is almost ready for prime time. If he can fix the auto reconnection problem (if you have a strong data signal you may not see this much) and improve on the memory handling, with a few tweaks, this application will be sweet!

The only other options will be:

DirectPush from MS (Verizon will offer this update in April, this will only work with Exchange servers)
    WebIS FlexMail version 3, full featured client, like Chatter that will support IMAP IDLE. Not available until August at the earliest

Download the program (requires two file installs- the transport and client) and post your opinion here. Good luck to all.
  2.    #2  
    Someone should try this new free exchange hosting service with vgsmail to see if it works:

http://services.mail2web.com/FreeSer...ve/m2wLive.asp
    NO SSL support! is that coming soon?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo
    NO SSL support! is that coming soon?

don't think so. The Developer doesn't talk about or respond to questions regarding new features or changes for some reason.
    Would love to try this program, but without SSL support, it's useless!
    I tried it from the beginning but with no SSL support it's worthless to me. I queried the developer awhile back on the issue and the response about inclusion was "not at this time." Now if we can only get the developer of Chatter to start a WM version (believe me I've begged and begged to no avail)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by enagel
    I tried it from the beginning but with no SSL support it's worthless to me. I queried the developer awhile back on the issue and the response about inclusion was "not at this time." Now if we can only get the developer of Chatter to start a WM version (believe me I've begged and begged to no avail)
    Because the Chatter developer is busy developing a plug in for ChatterEmail that will enable true push full Exchange support on CDMA Palm Treo OS devices. All OWA/Exchange events will push to the device (Email, Contacts, Calender, Tasks) like DirectPush ActiveSync for WM. The common assumption is that seamless Exchange push support is the only reason to switch to WM5, aside from EVDO, but that will be taken care of with the 700p. I can't think of another reason, my 650 was faster, had no memory problems and ran all the programs I needed. The 700p will only be better and the day the ChatterEmail Exchange plug in is available, I'm selling my 700w on Ebay and buying a 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by wannatreo
    The common assumption is that seamless Exchange push support is the only reason to switch to WM5, aside from EVDO, but that will be taken care of with the 700p. I can't think of another reason, my 650 was faster, had no memory problems and ran all the programs I needed. The 700p will only be better and the day the ChatterEmail Exchange plug in is available, I'm selling my 700w on Ebay and buying a 700p.
    The common assumption is correct for me. That's why I'm looking at getting an MDA to replace my 650. There is a T-Mobile corporate store directly across the street from my office. I would even live (grudgingly) with the unstable Palm OS for the form factor of the Treo, if I could have OTA sync to all Exchange data.
  9.    #9  
    or, you could wait until April for the Chatter OWA beta.
    Wait until April?

You mean wait maybe 8 or 9 weeks in order to save hundreds of dollars and be able to use the Chatter software that I really, really, enjoy using, supported by possibly the finest/friendliest/most helpful software developer I have had the pleasure to run across?

(Sorry, have to leave now. Must hunker down and turn off the Pilot Light of Impatience in the Furnace of Desire. Eight or none weeeeeeeks. Yeow.) :-)