1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I got my girlfriend a Treo 700w for her birthday. She has a Treo 650 now. Is there any way to get her contacts and some other files over to her new Treo 700w? Obviously, none of the apps will work. What about the pictures and videos she has on her 650? What, if anything, will transfer and how? Do a sync or something?

I'd love to get some info on this!!!
    Get a SD card. Move everything on to the card.
    If she syncs her contacts and calendar with Outlook then I'd imagine the 700w will pick up that info. As far as pics and videos I'd try putting it on the SD card.

This is about as far as I can get ya since I don't have one myself
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    If she was using Outlook, you ain't gotta do anything. If she was using palm Desktop....

Option 1:

You can purchase the third-party application Chapura PocketCopy which features a one-button transfer of data from Palm Desktop to Outlook. If you use PocketCopy, you can skip steps 3 and 4 below and also prevent hunting for the installation CD for your previous Palm OS device.

http://www.chapura.com/pocketcopy.php

Option 2:

1. If you do not already have Outlook 2002 or later installed on your desktop PC, install Outlook from your new smartphone's CD. You will be moving your Palm Desktop Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes to Outlook.
    2. Make sure you have completed an error-free HotSync operation with your current Palm OS device. In this way, your handheld and Palm Desktop data are fully up to date. You will use the data in your handheld as the master copy.
    3. Now re-install Palm Desktop from the original CD or the web download. When offered the option to synchronize with Palm Desktop or with Outlook, choose Outlook (more info in Palm Knowledge Library article 25263).
    4. Synchronize your Palm OS handheld with Outlook once. Open Outlook on your desktop PC and verify that your data is present for Contacts, Calendar, Notes and Tasks. Note: Email synchronization via HotSync conduit is not covered by this process.
    5. Now install ActiveSync from your new Windows Mobile smartphone's CD, and follow the instructions in the installation wizard for connecting your new smartphone to your desktop PC. Your Palm OS synchronization cable can remain connected if you wish, but it is no longer necessary.
    6. All being well, synchronization will complete (the first synchronization is slow) and you can verify that your data has all transferred by comparing your new Windows Mobile smartphone contents to your previous Palm OS handheld contents. Check that any data categorizations have mapped to your satisfaction.

Option 3:

The hardest way: export items from Palm Desktop, and then import them into Outlook. Warning: This method will not retain all the properties of the original items. This method only recommended as a last resort.

How to export items from Palm Desktop
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,Case=obj(28734)

* Calendar/Date Book: Export individually as vCal
    * Contacts/Address Book: Export as Comma Separated (*.csv, *.txt)
    * Memos/Memo Pad: Export as Comma Separated (*.csv, *.txt)
    * Tasks/To Do: Copy individually and Paste in Outlo

Migration of media files: images, video and MP3 music

Image and video files
    Move any image files (JPG) to an expansion card to move them to your new Windows Mobile smartphone. Ditto for .3GP or .3G2 (MPEG4) video files. If you have the files on your PC, simply copy them to your Treo My Documents\My Pictures folder and make sure you have activated Files synchronization under Options in ActiveSync. Use the Pictures and Videos application on your Windows Mobile smartphone to view the JPG images. Use Media Player to view the videos.

MP3 music
    MP3 music is stored on expansion cards. The MP3 files on your expansion card will usually be stored in the directory /AUDIO on your expansion card. Just pop the card into your Windows Mobile smartphone, launch Windows Media and navigate to your Storage Card to play your music.

Need more try here:

http://www.palm.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=41224
    OK
    #1 -- Calm down this will work out and be OK
    #2 -- you already asked this here >> http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=106970 and at least one solution was given.
    #3 There are some more great solutions in this thread now too.

Bluetooth will work -
    An SD card will work -
    And
    Depending on what (if anything) she was syncing to on the desktop you might not have to do anything but just sync with the new 700w.

-r00t
    Quote Originally Posted by r00t 4orce
    Bluetooth will work -
    An SD card will work -
    You got me curios now......how do you transfer a contact databse from a Palm application to an SD card or via BT so that it can be read by a WM5 application ? Aren't the file formats different ?
    why can't you just beam contacts? maybe you can't but I would think that is possible...
    Hmmm. Maybe this is a thread which should be merged with the other thread which was started by the same person.

You can also use Wireless Sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    You got me curios now......how do you transfer a contact databse from a Palm application to an SD card or via BT so that it can be read by a WM5 application ? Aren't the file formats different ?
    that is why I mentioned that it *could* be tedious
    My co-worker and I were doing one-to-one contact transfers not the whole database.
    But the point was that is does work with little to no effort.

the SD card option was solution for files (mp3s, pics etc.)
    Can't you pick send category and send the all category via bluetooth?
    Quote Originally Posted by r00t 4orce
    that is why I mentioned that it *could* be tedious......
    But the point was that is does work with little to no effort.
    I am a light contacts user with just over 1,500 contacts......If each contact takes 30 seconds that's 12.5 hours or almost $1.9k in lost billings if done during working hours ! Though, in RTFM'ing, I see that you can beam an entire category (never knew that) which shouldn't take too long....only have about 12 categories IIRC....no idea how long it would take tho.

And yes, SD card works for mp3's and such but they are just as easy to reload via desktop since that's where they probbaly started in the 1st place. I think BF is referring tho, at least in part, to other contacts type files like memo, calendar, todo etc.
  12.    #12  
    Hi everyone and thank you for all your responses!

Yea, I figured the SD card for pics, videos, etc. By the way, she has never used her Treo 650 for email, so that won't need to be transferred. She can just start with the Outlook on her 700 now. I guess I am mostly concerned about the contacts, text messages and multi-media messages and whatever else might be compatible.

I installed the sync'ing software for the 700 on her laptop last night and everything worked flawlessly. Now it's just a matter of trying to get the contacts, SMS's and MMS's over.

Reading the responses here, one person suggested that if she has her 650 sync'd to her laptop, which she does, she could just sync it over to her 700w. How would she do that? The 650 sync software doesn't seem to recognize the 700w. The syncing software that came with the 700 does, of course.

Again, all I am concerned with is the contacts, text messages, multi-media messages as well as her pictures and videos. That's it, as most everything won't be compatible with the new device anyway, or is there something else I'm not thinking about right now?
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude
    Reading the responses here, one person suggested that if she has her 650 sync'd to her laptop, which she does, she could just sync it over to her 700w. How would she do that? The 650 sync software doesn't seem to recognize the 700w. The syncing software that came with the 700 does, of course.
    No. 650 syncs to Palm Desktop or Outlook. 700 syncs to ActiveSync or Outlook. If you use Outlook, no problem. If you don't , it aint gonna sync. See message #4

I guess I am mostly concerned about the contacts, text messages and multi-media messages and whatever else might be compatible.
    Again, contacts depends upon whether you using Outlook (no problem) or Palm Desktop (work involved). See message #4. Text messages and multimedia messages I have never had the urge to send / receive nor can I think of a reason to save them so someone else is gonna have to jump in here. At the very least, you should be able to forward them to herself or forward them to you and then you back to her.

See Knowledge library article Solution ID: 35849 @
    http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...=PalmSupportKB

ALso you might try this:

http://www.siedler-net.de/WinCE/easySMS/

"easySMS is for easily sending SMS (760-character SMS / Flash-SMS) from your Pocket PC, Handheld PC or Palm-size PC by infrared-connection or cable with your mobile."
  14.    #14  
    Thanks for everyone's responses! Alright, so I got the contacts over to her Treo 700w. There were only around 50 or so, so I just sent one by one via Bluetooth and it worked like a charm. Also, her email on her Outlook on her laptop was synced to the Treo seamlessly and the Contacts were backed up at the same time. Awesome! Most of her pics and videos she transferred to the card and they also work. Most of them. How come some of them don't???

Now all that's left are the text messages and MMS's, although that part is less important to her. Any ideas for that one? Finally, is there ANYTHING else that could be transferred. I heard about some way to get Windows-like equivalents of the apps she had on her 650. Is this true?

Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude
    Now all that's left are the text messages and MMS's, although that part is less important to her. Any ideas for that one? Finally, is there ANYTHING else that could be transferred. I heard about some way to get Windows-like equivalents of the apps she had on her 650. Is this true?

Yoiu try that easy SMS thingie ?