Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Havent tried this myself and am still looking into it but to to mail2web.com to find out more:

Global Posts
    879 Global Posts

mail2web.com, a world-wide application provider for consumers and businesses and brand of Softcom Technology Consulting Inc., announced today the release of mail2web LIVE, a free email and messaging service based on Microsoft® Exchange 2003. This new service will provide users a personal email account on mail2web.com, accessible through a web-based interface developed by Microsoft on the world-leading Outlook 2003 email client. mail2web LIVE is available in 26 languages.
    Nice! The service is free and they give you a generous 1GB of mail storage and 100MB send capability. You can now have Exchange Activesync for free!

Limitations I briefly noticed are:
    • You can only have an email address @web2mail.com
      Web interface only
      Add supported

Not a bad deal if you ask me!

To have more capabilities you can upgrade to one of their monthly plans starting at $5.95/month.
    I signed up....now I am just waiting to hear back from verizon to see if I can get that 2000 free text message plan that everyone is talking about, otherwised the exchange isn't really worth it because your text messaging fees would go through the roof.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Outlook Web Access is super slow with mail2web right now... dont know if that is just because it is beta or what...but didnt want people to think that the performance of OWA with mail2web was normal...
    Thanks for posting this, Gex!! Even if it's in beta, maybe someone can still use it. I may even try it!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    See my post in Palm Communication "True push, truly free" for how to deal with the limitations:

Use Outlook or Outlook Express in HTTP to access email - fast, offline and archive. You can then use reply-to address.

To take the full advatages of this incredible free service, I'm considering of moving fro Palm to Windows Mobile.
    dbarrett5381, remember when you call Verizon to ask for the "PDA SMS 2000 Allowance". That's the buzzword that worked for me.
    Ok so I signed up for this. It works great actually, and sets up real easily on the 700w.

I had a question on this though: does anyone know of a way to set the "reply-to" address in the Treo?

I forward my Gmail emails to mail2web, which gives me instant access. However, if I want to reply to emails, it gets delivered from my mail2web account. Is it possible to set it to reply-to my Gmail?
    I'm using 4smartphone.net - Anyone used both their service and mail2web and could comment on pluses and minuses?
    Quote Originally Posted by adamt
    I'm using 4smartphone.net - Anyone used both their service and mail2web and could comment on pluses and minuses?

is 4smartphone free? mail2web is.
    Free trial, not free forever. I had to pay since I need my email address to be corporate, e.g. people I email can't see my message coming from a mail2web address.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence.c.lee
    is 4smartphone free? mail2web is.
    No it's not. They have a trial, but then you pay so much per month. I think they have 3 different plans starting @ $4.00 a month going to $10.00.
    do you guys know how to set reply-to address in Treo 700w?
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    To tell you the true, I was thinking of getting my own Exchange Server up and running. Then I won't have to worry about it. I already have the software just need the Palm update for direct push and figure out which computer I want to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri
    To tell you the true, I was thinking of getting my own Exchange Server up and running. Then I won't have to worry about it. I already have the software just need the Palm update for direct push and figure out which computer I want to use.

what sort of software would you need to do this? would you then be able to collect all your mails from other accounts and push it out?
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Yeah, first of all you would need a domain name for email and then you would need the Exchange 2003 Server.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri

I am setting up a hosting solution... so far I have done 5 servers and have not even gotten to the Exchange part

First you need your Active Directory (Domain Controllers)
    Then you need external DNS servers...
    Then you have your External (FrontNet) and Internal (BackNet) provisioning servers....
    You need SQL servers to store all the info....

Once you have all that....(you really need to know your stuff!)
    Then you move to building the Front End Exchange and Back End Exchange servers...

of course the back end server should be clustered... hopefully a 4 node cluster....but you can get away with one I guess....also think about redundancy on the servers and services locally.... and then you have to determine if you will have a geographically separate failover site in case your data center disappears....

Sorry.. i've been living this for the past week or so

Dont forget all the software licensing costs for all this stuff (and harware).
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    ^^^^ ok so the above is for a hosting solution... just for exchange alone you can get away with putting AD and its DNS to also serve external requests for your domain and exchange on one server but that is not a recomended setup....but it can be done...

Also you will need an SSL cert from someone like verisign or go through the hassle of seting up your own cert server then issueing your own certs to your devices.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    oh yea.. i forgot Microsoft Operations Manager server...for the hosting solution.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Your right but the nice thing about my company is that I have access to corporate keys. As for the domain contrallers I already have that running on Server 2003. And as for external DNS you can get that through your ISP providers.

As for clustering if you are running a small operation then it shouldn't need to be so big.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast