1.    #1  
    Treo 700 Review – from a previous Palm operating system based 300, 600 and 650 owner

Looks – It’s nice to have something brand new and slightly different, but it’s essentially the same phone as the 600 and 650. It’s nice to have an impeccably clean screen.

Screen – Initially it occurs to me that the drop in resolution from the 700 is really imperceptible/negligible in terms of use. Movies and pictures don’t look as good, but really I don’t expect high quality from a device like this. If I want to look at pictures and movies, I’d want a bigger screen even if the resolution was great. I don’t notice any problem or significant difference in brightness that others have mentioned.

I also notice that while the “screen” is the same size as the 650, the viewable portion is not, there a black border around the actual display, whereas the 650 has “wall to wall” screen. I think this is a grave mistake.

Windows Mobile
    – bit of a shocker. I don’t know where anything is and simple everyday tasks seem harder or not possible. Ignore on incoming calls I have to open a menu. I have had to hit reset many times since I’ve had the phone either because the phone locked up, or some feature such as the speaker phone would stop working. This is really annoying when using the phone with one of those tight fitting rubber cases. I guess I’m going to get one of those replacement back covers and a case that have holes for resetting without removal. I liked having the programs list one button away on the 650, and also being able to change programs to list view. Surprising that Windows Mobile doesn’t support this. I may try and write some app for it that add the features I’d like.

Pictures - As mentioned by others, the pictures don’t look that great on the phone. But they look pretty good once copied to a computer. At 1 megapixel they are actually usable rather than just a gimmick like on the previous Treos.

Something called GWES.exe keeps crashing. The first time it did, I could no longer use speaker phone. Had to reset to get it to work again. I’ll have to look into that.

Sound – I’d heard that the sound was better than the 650. So far the speaker phone doesn’t sound any better, which is bad. Not quite unusable, but I’ve heard other phones that were much better. The handset speaker / volume level seems better, though, a little louder which I need. The Verizon/Treo 700 call quality is good, so far seems better than the 600 on Sprint.

Internet browsing – After I set IE to use one column and be full screen, the browsing is pretty good. It is quite fast.

I got a “user name and password are incorrect” once when trying to connect. Turning on and off the phone fixed this.

Application Speed – my treo 650 had a bad problem with turning on or off (lamp) using the power button and also starting a call as far as time delay. This 700 does not exhibit that problem at all, which is nice. There is a bit of a time delay with starting problems, but this is normal processing as far as I can tell. Things are not instant, but they’re pretty fast.

It takes longer to boot after a reset. Ha ha, typical Windows short-coming.

ActiveSync – Couldn’t get it working with a USB chord I bought after market for my 650, although it will charge from it. Update, it works, ActiveSync gets setup to only work with one USB port, the one I initially had connected. I’ve never had any hardware that would only work on one USB port. Dosesn’t sound verry Universal to me.

ActiveSync fails or has errors regularly. Sometimes it says “Critical Error”.

SD Card – I bought a 150X 2GB SD Transcend SD Card from ZipZoomFly. It works great. But for some reason my HP laptop can’t read it properly and prompts me to format the card when I stick it in. It also reports it as a 1GB. A USB card reader I have works fine with it, though. I’ve listened mp3s while snowboarding and watched recorded TV shoes on the cardio machines at the gym.

Bluetooth headset – I’m using the same Cardo Scala 500 I used with the 650. It’s the most comfortable and has the best sound, volume is the most important quality to me. As with the 650 it does not have a very good range. I cannot use it with the phone in my pocket or walk with it naturally with the phone in my hand without the sound becoming crackly. I have to hold my hand up closer to the headset to get good clear sound.

Bluetooth ActiveSync – I haven’t been able to get this to work. It may be the fault of the Bluetooth implementation on my HP. Not really a big deal to me, using the Treo 650 I was never able to complete a Sync and using it as a modem was much slower so I never used it.

Stability - After 2 weeks of use my Treo 700 stopped being able to use the built in microphone or speak in normal phone mode. Speaker phone would work, but after the first use after a reset, it would become disabled on the menu. Bluetooth headset still worked. I got a replacement from Palm. The process of getting a replacement was pretty painful. First I called Verizon, they told me I would have to contact the place where I bought the phone. I told them I bought it online from Palm. They gave me the number for Palm. It took many calls and transfers to get them to replace the phone, several times the rep I had been transrerred to / given a number for would tell me I had contacted the wrong department. One number had a menu system that said “Dial one for customer service” but when you hit one, it would then say, “You have reached Sales, you cannot get customer service from here.” I finally got in touch with supposedly the right rep, and he said I would have to call tech support before they would be able to ship me a new phone without cost to me, though if I were to pay the shipping cost, they could ship me one without calling tech support. I was also told by Verizon that they could give me a refurb, but considering the phone was only 2 weeks old I felt this was unacceptable. Again it took several calls/transfers to reach a real tech support person and after trying reset he said that I would have to have the phone replaced and gave me a service reference number. Of course, it took me several more calls and transfers to get back to someone who could send me a new phone, and when I did, he said I would have to call tech support. I said I already had and gave him the reference number. He acted very disappointed like they get some kind of bonus if they can avoid repairing your phone. But he said they would ship me a new phone. I got it 2 days later. I know that some companies attempt to avoid any kind of real customer service by giving you the runaround so much you give up, but I though Palm would be better than this. The nearly impossible phone web and the attitudes of the many Palm reps lead me to believe that Palm tries intentionally not to do support in hopes that people will give up and go away. With me 3 previous Treos with Sprint, I had only to take the phone in and they would just give me another brand new one. I liked this about Sprint.

Voice Command – A neat gimmick, it failed to correctly identify several contacts and worked on others.

Left overs – I haven’t setup Exchange support yet. Supposably my boss is arranging for the IT manager to apply a service pack to Exchange and turn on mobile support on my account that will allow push email to work.

Favorite software:
    TCPMP – The core pocket media player. Plays Divx movies and mp3s well, but has no support for Treo buttons, so it’s impossible to use without the stylus.
    XCPUScalar – Not really sure if I need this, it might help when watching movies, make them smoother.
    PDANet – Connects me to the internet on my laptop from just about anywhere. On EVDO I get speeds from 200 to 400 KB/s. In Big Sky Montana I was able to connect using the 1xRT even when I had no visible signal bars and the speed was acceptable.

Conclusion
    The Treo 700 may be the least stable Treo yet. But I like having Windows Mobile and the phone has a nice feel to it. The best feature is the high speed Internet access through EVDO. I’m paying $80 per month for 450 minutes and unlimited data. That’s really too much, I was only paying like $30 at sprint. But my Internet addiction rules me. That it stopped working (speaker and microphone when caling) is very disappointing and the nightmare of calling Palm to get a replacement made me feel like if any more problems occurred it would not be worth it. But I’m a techno-junkie so this one’s a keeper.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Thank God someone has finally posted a review of the Treo 700w. I was honestly beginning to wonder if I was the only person who heard of this ****ing thing!
    I hope other people do not get the idea that your circumstances are the norm for the 700W. I have had very few problems with my 700W, and in fact I am very impressed with it. I am a previous Palm use who abandoned Palms several years ago because of it being too simplistic. This is probably not the proper forum to criticize the Palm OS, but I have never been a big fan. Windows Mobile capabilities blow the Palm OS away easily. A Palm w/Windows Mobile is a new venture, so of course there will be some kinks to iron out, but other readers need to know that there are satisfied 700W users out there as well.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I've had mine for one week with zero problems. Getting mail from Corporate Exchange server seconds after initial setup, running Sprite Backup, Verichat, Pocket Express, Mobimate Pro and Expense, using nxZen Bluetooth headset.
    I've had mine for one week and no problems at all. I'm not a power user and only use the built-in functionality but the device precisely meets my needs for a cell-phone/PDA with some entertainment functions as well. I have been USB syncing with no problems so far. I do a soft reset every morning, not because I've noticed any problems but to prevent the problems others have mentioned and have had no memory issues. BT works fine and I'm streaming XM online right now into a small pair of speakers in my office and it sounds great. I'm a happy camper.
    I have had almost no problems with this phone since day one. I only use win mo 5 compatible apps with it. The phone is way more stable than the 650. If you are a palm OS user, you'll have navigation problems at first but it's no big deal, you'll get over it and be pleased with the phone. I don't know what the reviewer is doing wrong with voice command, but I have about a 95% success rate with voice command. It's the killer app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl
    Thank God someone has finally posted a review of the Treo 700w. I was honestly beginning to wonder if I was the only person who heard of this ****ing thing!
    ??

i believe there are more than just this review, and with positive experiences as well. as an example, active sync works great for me. you can download a free application (wei's soft reset) to have a soft reset function just a button push away. my speakerphone works (knock on wood). i personally love WM5 as do many others....etc, etc, etc. and yes, i too have owned t600, t650, ppc's and blackberries.

it's all good.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotexan
    I hope other people do not get the idea that your circumstances are the norm for the 700W.
    Well ,note that I am keeping mine, so all in all, I think it's a great device. I have to admit that I snowboarded 7 days in a row with it in my pocket in sub freezing weather and had many crashes. I did have problems with it out of the box, though, that GWES.exe crashing and the speakerphone option becoming disabled. GWES has already crashed on my replacement as well, and had the speaker phone problem, too. I'd be surprised if most people aren't having this problem. I keep in mind that since these devices are essentially computers with unlimited uses, rather than dedicated phones with severly limited features, that flawless performance may actually be impossible. But my advice to anyone would be to purchase the best insurance so that you can get no hassle replacements if anything goes wrong.

Aren't those soft reset programs usesless if the device is completely locked up?
    Quote Originally Posted by jwindsurfer
    Aren't those soft reset programs usesless if the device is completely locked up?
    if you can touch your screen you would be able to access it. put the program in your start menu (via settings), touch the start logo and there it would be!

take care
    I did have problems with it out of the box, though, that GWES.exe crashing and the speakerphone option becoming disabled. GWES has already crashed on my replacement as well, and had the speaker phone problem, too. I'd be surprised if most people aren't having this problem.
    I've never had GWES.exe crashes or lockups. Do you have anything unusual installed which may be conflicting?
    i don't even know what gwes.exe is. i know it's an executable by the extension but that's about it.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    if you can touch your screen you would be able to access it. put the program in your start menu (via settings), touch the start logo and there it would be!
    That's what I mean by locked up. Touching the screen or pressing any key elicits no response from the device.
    That's what I mean by locked up. Touching the screen or pressing any key elicits no response from the device.
    i'm lost. if you can physically touch your screen and able to press the start icon in the top left hand corner then you would be able to access the start menu. make sure the keyguard is not activated in the settings menu. if you are not able to elicit a response from touching the screen, and if your keyguard is disabled, then you may have a faulty device. i can't think of what else it might be unless you have an un-supported 3rd party app running in the background that is causing the problem.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    i'm lost. if you can physically touch your screen and able to press the start icon in the top left hand corner then you would be able to access the start menu. make sure the keyguard is not activated in the settings menu. if you are not able to elicit a response from touching the screen, and if your keyguard is disabled, then you may have a faulty device. i can't think of what else it might be unless you have an un-supported 3rd party app running in the background that is causing the problem.
    You're Treo has never locked up? You know like any computer can lockup - system not responding. Touch the screen, nothing happens, frozen. Must hit the reset hole to get it to run again.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Whaaaat?? Reset hole? You mean you can reset these things? I thought when it locked up, you just threw it away and bought a new one!
    Good review... I posted my own a few weeks ago from the perspective of a new Palm/WM5 user. Now that it's been a few more weeks I love the thing even more... the possibilities are endless.

http://fullyconverged.blogspot.com/2...treo-700w.html
    Palm Treo 700w, Motorola Q
    Fully Converged, Cell Phone Videos