Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I don't get it. How exactly does this change things to such a degree that it is worth purchasing a program over AND having the treo run hotter?

Not a flame--tis an honest question.
    well...i found the 700 to be quite sluggish during normal use with minimal programs opened. I installed xcpuscaler, jumped up to 416 (sometimes 520 when i am feelin randy) and my entire experience has changed. It is like a different phone. It just FEELS snappier. I don't care if it is in my head cause it makes me like my phone, doesn't hurt battery life (maybe it loses 30-45min), and was only $6.

just my two cents
    I keep my phone on 416 all the time. The extended battery offset the the overclocking. Phone is definately snappier...
    Ordered an extd battery too, mine is set to 416, its worth it.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I have been using it in demo mode. I like it, but have not found it for $6. Where can you get it for this price?
    The other benefit is setting an oveclocking app to scale. When the extra horsepower is needed you get it, and when you dont need it the CPU scales back to conserve energy.

Most of the time this will actually increase battery life.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I don't know if this problem is related to Xcpuscaler but I was having problems getting the Treo to answer some incomming phone calls once in a while. The phone would ring and I would click answer but it would keep on ringing. I disabled xcpuscaler and so far, for the past week, the problem has not occured. I read somewhere else that something similiar was happening to someone else using xcpuscaler.
    Quote Originally Posted by JHoffy
    I have been using it in demo mode. I like it, but have not found it for $6. Where can you get it for this price?
    Yes, please do share.. 6$ is a great deal.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    I keep XCPUscalar on all the time at 520 without any problems, or noticible loss of battery life. If you go higher than 520, the Treo will likely freeze up requiring soft reset.
    Does anyone know if there is a "Startup Programs" folder like in Windows where we can put a program into to automatically start up (XCPUscalar) when we soft reset?
    Go to the file menu in the program and check "auto start on soft reset." I've stopped using it for the time being. Didn't really cause any problems, but didn't seem to really effect speed or battery life either. My issue is when starting messaging from the today screen, there's a big lag. Watching the speed icon on XCPUscalar, it didn't seem to scale up, and I wonder if it was actually making the delay worse. I never tried it at a steady speed.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ntaylor
    Go to the file menu in the program and check "auto start on soft reset." I've stopped using it for the time being. Didn't really cause any problems, but didn't seem to really effect speed or battery life either. My issue is when starting messaging from the today screen, there's a big lag. Watching the speed icon on XCPUscalar, it didn't seem to scale up, and I wonder if it was actually making the delay worse. I never tried it at a steady speed.

Thanks for the above info. I should have looked into the program

I'm not sure what you mean by "starting messaging" - do you mean the startup time after soft reset when trying to run a program? It doesn't seem to slow mine down at all...
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmo
    I'm not sure what you mean by "starting messaging" - do you mean the startup time after soft reset when trying to run a program? It doesn't seem to slow mine down at all...
    If pocket outlook isn't running, when I click on the messaging plugin in the today screen, there is a decent lag (probably 10 seconds or so) before it starts up. The CPU never scales up during the delay. My concern was that the autoscaling was lagging somehow. I'm trying it at a fixed 416 and we'll see how it goes.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I just installed xcpuscaler on my 700. WOW, what a difference. Normally I dont use 3rd party programs for things like this, but this one helps. This combined with Space Reclaimer have made my 700 fast ALL THE TIME. Now, I do have the same problem when starting messaging, but I think its just due to all that has to open....sms, mms, hotmail, outlook, and the pop3 account. So, im willing to live with it as it works great once its open...

I found xcpuscaler at www.immiersoft.com

Who had it for 6 bucks? I hate to pay 17 bucks for this, but will if I have to!
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ntaylor
    If pocket outlook isn't running, when I click on the messaging plugin in the today screen, there is a decent lag (probably 10 seconds or so) before it starts up. The CPU never scales up during the delay. My concern was that the autoscaling was lagging somehow. I'm trying it at a fixed 416 and we'll see how it goes.
    Strange- mine is at Fixed 520, and it doesn't take that long before my messages show up...anyway maybe fixed is faster than scaled.
    What is the default speed for the 700w?
    320 is the default speed, but you can slow it down as well with XCPUScalar.