1.    #1  
    i have an exchange server 2003 with my 700w through my company. i get email vial IMAP (with IDLE) and my OWA ins ONLY available through VPN. I have my 700 set to sync with my windows PC only. My company does not allow direct connection to the exchange server adn wont for a long time.

So my question is, with the MS service pack that enables "true push" work for me, or is it only for people who use exchange activesync?
    You need exchange activesync. That's too bad that your company won't "allow" this connectivity. By denying push email to their employees they're giving the edge to their competitors who do.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    If I had to take a guess at why your company won't allow ActiveSync now, I would say it is the lack of security. Right now, security is limited to SSL. When AKU2.0 is released and they install the Mobile Administration pack, then they will have true enterprise class security including better encryption, management via Group Policy and Remote Wipe to mention a few.
    But if your company allows OWA then you <should> have everything you need to set up Exchange Active Sync. Try this:

Start button

Programs

ActiveSync

Menu/Add Server Source

Enter your OWA URL (something like 'companyname-owa.com) - withOUT the http:/ stuff

Check SSL box

Next

Enter your User Name and Password that you use to logon to Windows domain

Check save password

Finish

Run one manual sync

After that - you'll be able to set up the automatic SMS push

Now we'll set up the SMS push process:

(still in Active Sync)

Menu

Schedule

Peak Times - scroll and select 'As Items Arrive' - this was not an option before
    Set off peak times as the same

Tap (yes, you have to tap here) 'Set up device to sync when new items arrive'

Provider: Other (use this - that's critical)

Enter your 10-digit phn#@vtext.com

That's it. See if that works.
  5.    #5  
    ya know, I tried to do the config with owa, but it didn't work. keep in mind that my owa is only accessible through the vpn, we have an imap server that allows us to use the plain web to get emails only (no calendar). does that matter?
    geez... vpn for owa. Does your company maintain any websites with a direct Internet presence?

@HalM: do you feel 128bit SSL is insufficient from an encryption perspective?
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Sleuth225, "my" perspective is that 128 bit is fine because I think you would just about have to be a specific target to have your data captured over the air, and if you are receiveing data that sensitive, then maybe email is not the best way to get it.

OTH, I worry more about the data after it hits the phone: loss / theft of device, loaning it to the wrong person, those type of issues. That is why we are holding our clients back that want to convert now from BB and Good. Todays SMS based retrieval is fine but highly insecure.
    Agreed. From a push email perspective, these things are toys until we can remote wipe/enforce password policies. Still, now is the time to tweak out the Exchange installation, install necessary certs, trial functionality and choose the best devices/carriers. To this end, we're getting in a Cingular 8125 which is also a WM5.0 device with a promised MSFP upgrade.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth255
    geez... vpn for owa. Does your company maintain any websites with a direct Internet presence?

@HalM: do you feel 128bit SSL is insufficient from an encryption perspective?
    my company is a fortune 10 technology firm, if you can believe it. we do have access to email via the web with IMAP client, but no contacts and no calendar. am I SOL?
    As you said, you are screwed. Without server activesync you aren't getting push email. As for security, I'd consider IMAP far less secure than OWA and they are nuts IMO for allowing IMAP vs. OWA in the name of security.

Chris
    Looks like Microsoft is "pushing" ahead in getting mobile email to work on HP iPaqs and other phones with TI chipsets. Feels like we, 700w users, are bastardized stepchildren.

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+pushes...html?tag=st_lh

ps - Guys, it doesn't matter if you are in the top 5 companies. Any company concerned with leakage of corporate secrets will disallow OWA (Outlook Web Access.) It's too easy to compromise security when you have dumb fock users logging in from public internet terminals.