1.    #1  
    "cannot recognize one or more receipients or the address is not valid. would you like to send the message anyway?" I press ok, and the text goes through, but the error is REALLY getting on my nerves....

I only have one person I'm sending too..when I text, I go to messaging, select new, select from my contacts and just send...

thanks in advance!
    And nothing looks wierd in the To: field? Like "Name" <(XXX) XXX-XXXX> ? I get the same message when I enter an alphanumeric value which does not exist in my contacts, so make sure the number for the user you're trying to text is entered correctly in the contact, otherwise it might not be able to parse it. Also, you do need to make sure the contact has a number associated with it.
  3.    #3  
    my contact phone#'s are entered 3334445555, not hyphened...SHOULD they be hyphened?

i don't enter in #'s manually...I'm using my contacts list when I enter in recipient..so, obviously it should be matching.........
    Hmm, I can't seem to get a number entered without it being automatically formatted for me. You may want to make sure you have the numbers in an available phone number field. (Work tel, Mobile tel, Home tel, etc). If that doesn't work, (Or they're already in a phone field) then you might want to try formatting them manually. (Although I can't imagine that being the problem). It won't work for sure if the numbers aren't in a phone associated field though.
  5.    #5  
    I formatted the #'s..and they're definitely in a phone associated field("mobile").....

still..nada....
    Well, you've hit the nail on the head with the original title; this is definitely weird. I would suggest calling Verizon or taking it into a store, but I have a feeling they're going to end up asking you to do a hard reset. The only other thing I can think of doing (if you haven't already) is try setting up a new contact "Test" or something similar with no data in it and add a phone number to see if that one works. If it works, then you might want to try removing things from the other contact(s) that you are having problems with. Also, just incase, make sure you are in the Text Message section of the Messaging app. It will say what section you're in on the top bar just to the right of the Windows start menu icon. It should say "Text Messaging" or something like that. If it doesn't, use the D-Pad and hit left or right until it shows up. Other than that, I'm clueless.
    This might happen if you use the wrong account in messaging...ie Pop Account, Outlook, etc.

Also, when the number is enter in CONTACTS, the parenthesees should automatically appear....ie: enter 9175555555 and (917) 555-5555 appears. If it doesn't, that may be why it thinks its not formatted correctly.