Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ill post this new so as not to hijack another thread. why is push email so important when you can set the device to check every 15 min or so. do people really need email so urgently or is there some other reason I am not understanding?
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    It saves a lot of battery life because your device isn't always constantly connecting to see if there is an email, it only connects when there is one for sure. I have mine set to automatically check every 5 minutes, and that works well for me until the push patch is released.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    This could only be ased by someone who has never had push Email. True Push Email BB or GL is great... within seconds you will have Email notification of messages. In most cases the push Email beats my desktop client.

Doug
    Push email gives you instant gratification. I have used a BB, A PPC with Goodlink, and my treo 700w with SMS AUTD, Any of the above function fine for most people.

There are a group that feel that instantaneous communication is crucial. That for the most part is driving the true push email movement. BB provided it and is using it like a hammer to try to smear the Non BB alternatives as being somehow inferior.
    Quote Originally Posted by VZWuser
    BB provided it and is using it like a hammer to try to smear the Non BB alternatives as being somehow inferior.
    Too true - it only matters to people that stare at their handheld waiting for the next email to come through. Essentially, if you use email as a replacement for instant messaging, get a blackberry.
    Chatter on the 600 and 650 IS push email. It's the best email client I've ever seen for any handheld.

Until the 700w has push email, SPECIFICALLY, ties directly into Exchange, the 700w will be an expensive toy.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    ..its something that once you get used to having...you cant go back.
    Why is it that palm fanboys just want to detract? Push email is great, but it isnt as good as multitasking.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    You know.. i could not live without multitasking.... I could not imagine having only one program able to run at a time. Have never used the Palm OS so I really cant comment but it seems odd.

How do you listen to streaming music, still get emails, look up a contact, browse the web, get an IM and read your RSS subscriptions all at the same time without multitaking? These are things I do everyday and if I had to end one program to use another life would really suck (were so spoiled)
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    ...and I dont even consider myself a power user! You should see some of my friends and what they have on their WM devices... I just need the basics
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    ..its something that once you get used to having...you cant go back.
    exactly.. like going from broadband back to dialup...
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Until the 700w has push email, SPECIFICALLY, ties directly into Exchange, the 700w will be an expensive toy.
    Well, sort of. If you don't have any initiative to call VZW if could be. My current push replacement solution is the SMS AUTD with an Exchange server. It works just as well as push but uses a SMS to get notification of an available email. That could cost a lot depending on your SMS plan and how many emails you get. But if you call VZW (it took me 15 minutes to get) they can provide you with a "PDA SMS 2000 ALLOWANCE $0" plan that gives you 2000 SMS/month for free specifically so you can get your email through an Exchange account. Free is pretty cheap in my book, and will work until true push is available on WM.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Everyone needs different things. I can't speak for others, but I do really, really need push e-mail. Actually I need my e-mail fast, be it push or other... I just need to get it ASAP, and here's why:

I run a room of servers. A lot of servers. From time to time a service may start to act funny on one of the boxes. Exchange may start flaking out, paging on a server may start to increase, power may be lost and we're on batteries, etc., etc. It's very important that I get my notifications as soon as humanly possible to ensure that we have zero service outages. If I get my e-mail even a couple of minutes late, that could be the difference between being able to fix the server live, or being forced to switch to a backup cluster node (which can take us down for 5 minutes while the services fail over). So why not SMS you ask? I do both. While SMS is great, I have found that from time to time it will either forget to send or send some messages a couple of hours late. Hours, not minutes, hours. 98% of the time SMS works great, but 98% is not good enough. I use e-mail and SMS together, so if I start getting a series of SMS messages while I start getting a series of e-mail messages I know without even looking at my phone that we have a problem. If one fails I have the other to rely on. Having Mobile Outlook check every 60 seconds for new mail is a wee bit of a battery drain, and 5 minutes is too long of an interval. At this time push is the only way I can go.

I realize that I'm not like most people, but I'm sure there are many different reasons why users need push e-mail. This is why I need it.
    Sprint Treo 700wx on Minneapolis network
    HDTV event and product coverage with industry interviews at TechnologyEvangelist.com
    I tried chattermail, and I don't think it is a real PUSH email client.

1. In their website, they advertise chattermail as push email client ($39.99), but the truth is chattermail doesn't push without the extra $12 matrixSSL. Therefore, chattermail itself doesn't push.

2. In the general understanding, BB push email client will get notification within 15 secs. But I never get the notification in chattermail within 1 minute. I don't think 1 min delay still qualifying for the "pushing". Every email client can get email every 1 min, which doesn't mean every email client is push email client.

Chattermail uses the IDLE command in IMAP server, which looks like "push", but not the real push.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Chatter pushed fine without SSL. I don't need SSL to connect to any of my e-mail servers, and Chatter pushes all my e-mail to me in real time.

Chatter is more of a real push than even a BB. BB uses middleware NOC servers to scan your inbox, then send to your device. Chatter just uses your own inbox via the IMAP Idle, which is connecting to the server every X minutes to say "I'm still here". When the server gets a new message, without the use of middleware, the IMAP command sends the message to your Inbox on your phone. It was pushed to your phone, although that same technique works in Thunderbird and other clients. In many cases I'll get my e-mail on my phone before I'll get it in Outlook. Typical time from send to phone is about 5 seconds for me.

I love Chatter and REALLY wish we had a version for the 700w. I'm playing with VGS now with little success. Works for about 10 minutes then fails. I'm starting to wonder if the always on EVDO hack screws it up.
    Sprint Treo 700wx on Minneapolis network
    HDTV event and product coverage with industry interviews at TechnologyEvangelist.com
    As others have said, once you get used to push email, it is hard to go back.

Also, using Chatter, I will get an email from my exchange server 5 to 10 seconds before Outlook gets it. That's not too bad considering that Outlook is connected to the server at 100 mbits and my Treo is connected over EDGE at around 100 kbits.

And as far as multitasking goes, I can surf the web using Blazer, get email using Chatter and listen to music using Pocket Tunes all at the same time on my Treo 650.
    I agree. As others have said, if you have used push e-mail, you realize its usefulness. Admittedly, it's less of an issue on a personal, more casual use level. But when you rely on e-mail for your work, well, that's a critical element.

With respect to the issue of multitasking, I agree with DHAnderson. I am able to do all the things that I want on my 650. The Palm OS' ability to multitask may not be as robust as Microsoft's, but I have yet to see an example where that has impacted me in any practical manner. Like DHAnderson, I like to use Pocket-Tunes for music, I can get my e-mail, and I can browse the web. The one example that I can think of that is a limitation of Palm's multi-tasking would be the following: If I were to start loading a page, like www.cnn.com, then go to my e-mail to check something and come back to Blazer, then I would not have had Blazer downloading www.cnn.com in the background. In that sense, there is a limitation. I can't say that that has even been an issue for me, but it is in fact a limitation of the Palm OS. On the other hand, I don't have to worry about actually closing applications that are still running in the background, using resources and memory. It really is an apples to oranges comparison in many way though.

Back to the e-mail. The one thing I think that the 700w has over the 650 right now is the more robust e-mail capability on a corporate level. I think that this will be an even larger gap when Palm finally releases the MSFP for the 700w. That will allow for a level of functionality total absent in the Palm 650. It will be a huge benefit to small and medium sized businesses that are looking for essentially the same functionality of a Blackberry Enterprise Server without the additional cost. In essence, the only thing that won't sync from Outlook will be memos. I can't imagine that being a deal-breaker for a lot of IT shops.
    Being new to WM, there's one thing I've noticed about multitasking: every application is in exactly the same state you left it when you return. I've always had that beef with PalmOS. I don't need multitasking either but I do need applications to resume in the same state that I left them.

I'm also starting to like the fact that I can start a page loading in the browser then switch over to something else knowing that the page will continue to load in the background and be waiting for me when I return to it.

You're pretty much right on with your email comment btw. Additionally, as a corporate implementor, I've always been leery about the "mystery servers" maintained by RIM and Good to implement their solutions. A BES talks not to a blackberry, but to the central RIM server which in turn talks to the blackberry. Same for Goodlink. This is problematic both from a SLA as well as from a security perspective. We've had several system-wide blackberry issues (email slowed down or stopped routing) that were'nt attributable to our servers. We had no way of end-to-end troubleshooting these issues. With AUTD I control the entire path. The same goes for security. With AUTD I am responsible for the entire "chain of command" from a security perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron
    1. In their website, they advertise chattermail as push email client ($39.99), but the truth is chattermail doesn't push without the extra $12 matrixSSL. Therefore, chattermail itself doesn't push.
    Chattermail uses the IDLE command in IMAP server, which looks like "push", but not the real push.

This is simply incorrect.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron

Really? Why don't you explain to us what "the real" push is then.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast