Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by silverdragon
    I realize that I'm not like most people, but I'm sure there are many different reasons why users need push e-mail. This is why I need it.
    Yours is a situation where it is obviously useful, tho I have to ask, "what did you or your predecesor do 10 years ago ?"

My situation is also "when needed, gotta get my arse there" but when that happens I can't trust or wait for e-mail. Was the attachment too big to get thru gateways ? Is the server up ? Is the e-mail spam filtered ? Mistaken suspect viral attachment ?

I keep items in my in box until they are taken care of to allow multiple access. Sorted by date, let's ay the last time I checked my e-mail was 10 am. I log on at 3 pm and several (typically 3 or 4) new e-mails are sitting there which are dated well before 9 am when I last checked my e-mail.

In an emergency, our policy is therefore to call the person "in responsible charge"....it's real time and verified.....no delays, no excuses (didn't get it, secretary opened it), and then follow up via e-mail. A call might be like : "I need you out here an hour ago. Foundation wall collapsed, 94 workers on site sitting around twiddling thumbs until you issue directive. Sending photos and suspected causes via e-mail."

We are already en route by the time e-mail arrives....most often before it's halfway typed.

My other concern is a legal one. If I ad been on site and issued a warning before that wall collapse, I need to be sure and be able to prove that it reaches the intended party. A phone call can be documented, I can testify that I spoke to Jow Blow, phone records can back it up. E-mail is much harder to prove receipt by the intended party especually when the recipient can "cancel" reciepts .

In the right circumstances push e-mail can be very useful. In my expereince however, like most gadgetry, there's more peeps who imagine they "need it" than actually need it. And by "need" I mean the dictionary definition as in "absolutely necessary"....in other words, "their job would have been impossible to perform 10 years ago".
    Quote Originally Posted by silverdragon
    Everyone needs different things. I can't speak for others, but I do really, really need push e-mail. Actually I need my e-mail fast, be it push or other... I just need to get it ASAP, and here's why:

I run a room of servers. A lot of servers. ...
    I manage several departments with SAs who do what you do. I have to ensure SAs are doing their thing and report status to the customer as soon as the SAs have some.
    1. I can't wait the 15 minutes to get the messages.
    2. It would kill my battery and require lots of soft resets (to free memory leaks) if I polled every 3 minutes.

I use Notes and need to either use SMS-push or a Blackberry device. I choose the former.

Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Yours is a situation where it is obviously useful, tho I have to ask, "what did you or your predecesor do 10 years ago ?"
    We had to carry around alphanumeric pagers. We then would need to call into command centers for more information.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    How does SMS AUTD work. My company uses a VPN to access outlook. We have a SecurID token that changes every 60sec that has to be combined with a PIN to access outlook. Is it possible to "push/Pull" email to 700W with this setup? I now use bberry that is configured from corporate to get emal, contacts, etc.
    Any help would be great.

Joe
    Joe - if your organization supports OWA (Outlook Web Access) then you have all you need. You use a VPN and token for your laptops, but if you have OWA, that's what you need in order to get access to Exchange.

Basically you go into the Active Sync app on the 700w like this:

Start button

Programs

ActiveSync

Menu/Add Server Source

Enter your OWA URL (something like 'companyname-owa.com) - withOUT the http:/ stuff

Check SSL box (at least, in my case, I check the SSL box - sometimes it's not necessary)

Next

Enter your User Name and Password that you use to logon to Windows domain

Check save password

Finish

Run one manual sync

After that - you'll be able to set up the automatic SMS push

Now we'll set up the SMS push process:

(still in Active Sync)

Menu

Schedule

Peak Times - scroll UP and select 'As Items Arrive' - this was not an option before
    Set off peak times as the same

Tap (yes, you have to tap here) 'Set up device to sync when new items arrive'

Provider: Other (use this - that's critical)

Enter your 10-digit phn#@vtext.com

Let's see if that does it for you.....
    Quote Originally Posted by joesheets
    How does SMS AUTD work. My company uses a VPN to access outlook. We have a SecurID token that changes every 60sec that has to be combined with a PIN to access outlook. Is it possible to "push/Pull" email to 700W with this setup? I now use bberry that is configured from corporate to get emal, contacts, etc.
    Any help would be great.

Joe
    WOW, could they make it more complicated?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    WOW, could they make it more complicated?
    None of these products (BB, Good, ActiveSync) are designed for home users. While a home enthusiast with enough $$$ and time can do it, Exchange needs the care and maintenance that an IT department is designed to provide.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Anyone care to share their magic words they used to get the SMS 2000 package turned on?

I have tried 3 times, and no CSR knows what I am talking about, or can find the right codes.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I called and said I am syncing with an Exchange server, and I am using the SMS pull solution. Some of my colleagues have a plan called the SMS 2000 ALLOWANCE $0 plan, and said I needed it added so I wouldn't pay a bundle for all the SMS being sent to my phone. 10 minutes later (after putting me on hold) they had it added. I haven't paid a cent for SMS since, Exchange related or not.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    If I can ask, which market are you in?
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I'm in Miami Beach. It may make a difference that I was using a Samsung i730 when I got it on my plan, then got the 700w later.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I guess it really is just CSR roulette -- just called again, and the CSR knew exactly what I was talking about. Took 3 minutes to turn it on. How does that work?

Oh well, it is on and working. Thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Too true - it only matters to people that stare at their handheld waiting for the next email to come through. Essentially, if you use email as a replacement for instant messaging, get a blackberry.
    You wouldn't think within that paradigm if it was your mother on the OR table. There are certain situations where the immediate delivery of communications matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzmccoy
    You wouldn't think within that paradigm if it was your mother on the OR table. There are certain situations where the immediate delivery of communications matters.
    I would hope if your mother was on the OR table you wouldn't be relying on email for your information updates. Whomever is sending you these updates is apparently on a phone - voice is a wonderful thing and so much more quick and informative than tapping out a cryptic message. If you're so concerned waiting for that next email update that you find yourself staring at the screen, just hit send/receive. I mean, c'mon - if your example was truly that critical, wouldn't you be at the hospital? Or did your mom's operation not make it high enough on your priority list to skip that afternoon staff meeting?

Like I said, the requirement for continuous, instantaneous transmission of email is dubious. Full time access to email wirelessly is important, but the claiming a critical difference of a minute or two on email transmission is silly.
    Wrong paradigm if you're the one using the scalpel and are responsible for the $250K malpractice deductible. In medicine, documentation always beats conversation. Always. Whether lab results or a medical consult clarification needed during surgery. HIPAA agrees and it serves the patient's best care as well. At anywhere from $300 - $600/minute being charged for OR room time, it should be obvious that there are serious clinical as well as health economic reasons why this arena will not settle for less.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    I somewhat agree that “the requirement for continuous, instantaneous transmission of email is dubious” but I think that you are missing the point. Fast and reliable delivery of information is the holy grail for many users. Thus the faster an email arrives on the phone, the better the system is perceived. Speed is just a measuring stick.
    As someone who deals with this type of question everyday, let me give you some reasons I hear from our customers and prospective customers as to why they need push. First, my perspective.

Obviously, I am biased towards our product, however, I can honestly say that as a sales professional, I can no longer imagine working without the real-time availability of mail, contacts and calendar. The level of customer service that I can provide at ANY time is something that simply can't be provided without having this tool. Everytime my phone vibrates with notification of an email, I have the ability to immediately respond without having to find a hotspot, boot up my laptop, enable my VPN, bring up Outlook and handle it from there. Immediate access to my calendar to be able to schedule meetings on the fly with no concerns about conflicting appointments is also very valuable.

What I hear from customers: Sales executives being able to contact their entire sales force with new promotions, pricing, etc and knowing that they are going to have it. IT folks being able to have immediate access to emailed trouble tickets. Executives being able to travel and know that any changes to their calendar are immediate. Real estate agents being able to respond to inquiries from clients and prospective clients real time.

The bottom line, IMO, is that a home user may or may not need the technology. That is based on their personal needs and preferences. However, any customer facing professional, again IMO, once they have the tool, will never want to work again without it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dollagreen
    ill post this new so as not to hijack another thread. why is push email so important when you can set the device to check every 15 min or so. do people really need email so urgently or is there some other reason I am not understanding?
    The above was the initial point being made. Time does matter, sometimes in the most critical of circumstances. If it were your family-member in front of me, you wouldn't want it any other way.
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzmccoy
    Wrong paradigm if you're the one using the scalpel and are responsible for the $250K malpractice deductible. In medicine, documentation always beats conversation. Always. Whether lab results or a medical consult clarification needed during surgery. HIPAA agrees and it serves the patient's best care as well. At anywhere from $300 - $600/minute being charged for OR room time, it should be obvious that there are serious clinical as well as health economic reasons why this arena will not settle for less.
    Considering that fax is often not considered satisfactory proof of delivery in the courts, don't see why e-mail would be any different. Sending an e-mail doesn't guarantee receipt.

In that situation I can't see a doc who is waiting for familial signature to perform necessary surgery to send an e-mail and then say "I did my part". He must make every effort to continue to make contact.

My malpractice deductable is only $5k on a $2mil policy and, in a situation of immediate hreat to loss of life or property, I always call and speak to a person and immediately follow up with a e-mail and snail mail confirmation.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    I can honestly say that as a sales professional, I can no longer imagine working without the real-time availability of mail, contacts and calendar. The level of customer service that I can provide at ANY time is something that simply can't be provided without having this tool. Everytime my phone vibrates with notification of an email, I have the ability to immediately respond without having to find a hotspot, boot up my laptop, enable my VPN, bring up Outlook and handle it from there. Immediate access to my calendar to be able to schedule meetings on the fly with no concerns about conflicting appointments is also very valuable.
    A phone call saying "I just sent you an e-mail with [all the stuff above] doesn't do the same thing ? I am not saying it ain't convenient, but "needed" or "necessary" is a word that just doesn't fit as I associate these words with "survivability"....that is "unable to survive without".

OTOH, it can be damned annoying having your phone buzz you 300 times a day telling you an e-mail arrived. So there is a time and expense tradeoff. How much time is wasted checking your screen every 40 seconds to decide if it is an important, immediate attention req'd e-mail or just another subscription message telling you that I have just posted a message in the "Why push e-mail" thread.

What I hear from customers: Sales executives being able to contact their entire sales force with new promotions, pricing, etc and knowing that they are going to have it. IT folks being able to have immediate access to emailed trouble tickets. Executives being able to travel and know that any changes to their calendar are immediate. Real estate agents being able to respond to inquiries from clients and prospective clients real time.
    Again, double edged sword. How much time are the IT folks and Sales folks wasting checking their Treo screens every 40 seconds. A salesman does that during a meeting with me and I will NOT buy his product. I have no problem with him saying "Gimme a sec to check my e-mail and see if I have any late promotions I can offer you".

I can't tell you how many times a day I notice people wasting tme with technology. Like the guy who takes out his air compressor and nail gun to hang a picture frame. I hung the picture, made a sandwich and read the TV guide by the time his compressor is ready to go....and I used my shoe or a stapler cause I couldn't find my hammer

I have watched people open a spreadsheet to add two colums of two numbers. I can provide the answers writing on a napkin before the splash screen of the program loads. Quite often "because I can" becomes the over riding reason for doing something rather than choosing the most efficient way.

If you get urgent, must be ansered imemdiately e-mails several times a day, than push will have a benefit. That benefit however will often be cancelled out by the nuisance e-mails. The only way I woud use push is as follows:

I have 3 accounts right now: business, professional and secret. To set up my Treo to get push on the "secret" address that no one knows but a few select individuals makes sense. To expand it to the other two accounts would have me so busy checking screens that I wouldn't get anything else done.

If you have a push solution working in this manner, my hat is off to yas all. If push is alerting you that I just posted a message in this thread, that ya wife wants you to bring home milk and bread or that "here's pictures of [insert obsession here - grandchildren, the 700p, whatever....]" then you are wasting ya company's money.
    Insurance has a stranglehold on NY which is why you benefit. I know of unquestionably clinically viable candidates for joint replacement/reconstruction surgery in NY who are only able to receive cortisone injections until they are considered 'elderly' because their surgeons are held hostage by their insurance carrier. Not having ever had suit brought against me in almost 20 years of surgical practice, I can live with my deductible.

Back to the issue at hand, the transmission of a FAX does not guarantee receipt until/unless a response to that fax is made which is or can be documented. Same goes for email. Because all that we do is charted, it serves to confirm receipt of information delivered electronically. Primarily, I'm responding to the immediate receipt of email on my end, not necessarily sending emails out as you mentioned.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast