Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    I bought the 700w when it came out, but returned it after a couple of days and went back to my 650. There was a lot I liked about the 700w, but the way it handled e-mail was a deal killer for me. First, was the fact that it could only download one account at a time. Even I could live with that, I couldn't really use Outlook with Comcast e-mail. My work does not use Exchange and I download e-mail from a Pop3 account. Since I can't send e-mail from outside through my office server, I send it through a separate Comcast account. I also need to download mail from that Comcast account. This works great on my 650 using Snappermail, but the 700w took so long to connect to Comcast, that it would time out unless I let it try to connect for over a minute. Has anyone else had a problem with Comcast and have you figured out a solution? Using another account (gmail, VZW, etc.) doesn't work for me. Thanks.
  2. jglev's Avatar
    Posts
    403 Posts
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    #2  
    Everyone with Comcast and WM has this problem. There is a solution, but it disables Gmail.

    Here it is (from this thread http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...hlight=comcast):

    There's a registry fix that speeds up that long comcast logon process. Using the registry editor of your choice go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Inbox.
    Create a new DWORD named ForceOffSSL.
    Assign to it a value of 1.
    Save, and do a soft reset. You will immediately see the difference in the connect/logon speed.
    Jeff
  3. #3  
    I wanted to reply to this message, more as a bump and a koodoos. This is awesome. I've been racking my head and searching and searching and finally stumbled on this post.

    Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdr00ejr View Post
    I wanted to reply to this message, more as a bump and a koodoos. This is awesome. I've been racking my head and searching and searching and finally stumbled on this post.

    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    Hi Jdr00ejr,

    Does the above registry tweak really improve speed of your Comcast email authentication/connection? I edited my 700WX WM5 registry but it did not improve anything at all. On the contrary, it made thing worse - I was not even able to download any of the Comcast email and got an error message. As soon as I deleted the newly created DWORD, everything was reverted back to normal (of course with the long minute delay to login and send/receive email, but at least I got my email).

    So I downloaded the official trial version http://www.tweaks2k2.com/portal/stat...50224182009983 from Treaks2K2 for PPC, and applied tweak #71, for the "Inbox" to the 700WX thinking that I might have made a mistake while I manually typed the DWORD value. The DWORD value from Tweaks2K2 turned out to be identical as the one I created it myself. So I tried to connect to Comcast again, it did the same thing as I did the DWORD manually with the same download error. Again, once it was removed, everything was back to norm.

    I am wondering if you or anyone else have any success story using the registry hack whether it does improve the speed of Comcast email authentication or not. By the way, my servers incoming port is set to 995, while the outgoing is 465. I also tried to change these to 25 and 110 respectively to no avail. Thanks in advance for any info.

    Tony
    SF, CA
  5. dimitri's Avatar
    Posts
    881 Posts
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    #5  
    It worked for me just fine. Try doing a soft reset to see if that changes anything. And take out the port numbers on the mail.comcast.net and the smtp.comcast.net. That will fix your issue.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    It worked for me just fine. Try doing a soft reset to see if that changes anything. And take out the port numbers on the mail.comcast.net and the smtp.comcast.net. That will fix your issue.
    Thanks for your response. I have found out what the required steps are in order to make the registry tweak works. I am posting these steps below hoping they may also benefit others who use Comcast POP3 with their Treo 700WX.

    1. Change the Outgoing server port to 25 from 465. If it is blank, then it is port 25.
    2. Change the Incoming server port to 110 from 995. Again if it is already blank, it is port 110.
    3. Tools > Options > Tap on your Comcast account > Next (E-mail Setup 1/4) > Next (2/4) > Next (3/4) > Options > Next (Options 1/3) > Uncheck box "Require SSL connection" > Next > Finish > ok.
    4. Backup your Registry before performing the next step, just in case you need to revert back to factory setting without a hard reset.
    5. Add a new DWORD value ForceOffSSL, and value data = 1 (Base=Decimal) under Registry HKLM > Software > Microsoft > Inbox.
    6. Close all apps, and do a soft reset.

    It now works for me!! It used to take close a 1.5 minute just to login and check my Comcast POP3 email, but with the changes above, I am able to complete the entire cycle within 5 seconds (no kidding)! I also have an Exchange Server email using diirect push technology that requires SSL, but I have no problem getting/sending my Exchange Server email after adding the DWORD value mentioned above.

    Note-If you must use SSL for other non-Comcast POP3 accounts (ex. gmail), then the above registry hack will not allow you to connect to your SSL-required email accounts.

    Cheers,
    Tony
    SF, CA
    Last edited by Antonc; 03/04/2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: It's working now!!
  7. dihtn's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #7  
    Ok, I made the changes to the ports but I can not find the "DWORD" area to make that change. With the changes I made, I can receive e-mail on my VZW 700wx but when I try to send, the mail does not go out. Help!!!

    Thank you
  8. rohn_s's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    #8  
    Awesome, worked for me.....
  9. Pickngrin's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonc View Post
    Thanks for your response. I have found out what the required steps are in order to make the registry tweak works. I am posting these steps below hoping they may also benefit others who use Comcast POP3 with their Treo 700WX.

    1. Change the Outgoing server port to 25 from 465. If it is blank, then it is port 25.
    2. Change the Incoming server port to 110 from 995. Again if it is already blank, it is port 110.
    3. Tools > Options > Tap on your Comcast account > Next (E-mail Setup 1/4) > Next (2/4) > Next (3/4) > Options > Next (Options 1/3) > Uncheck box "Require SSL connection" > Next > Finish > ok.
    4. Backup your Registry before performing the next step, just in case you need to revert back to factory setting without a hard reset.
    5. Add a new DWORD value ForceOffSSL, and value data = 1 (Base=Decimal) under Registry HKLM > Software > Microsoft > Inbox.
    6. Close all apps, and do a soft reset.

    It now works for me!! It used to take close a 1.5 minute just to login and check my Comcast POP3 email, but with the changes above, I am able to complete the entire cycle within 5 seconds (no kidding)! I also have an Exchange Server email using diirect push technology that requires SSL, but I have no problem getting/sending my Exchange Server email after adding the DWORD value mentioned above.

    Note-If you must use SSL for other non-Comcast POP3 accounts (ex. gmail), then the above registry hack will not allow you to connect to your SSL-required email accounts.

    Cheers,
    Tony
    SF, CA

    After a lot of trial and error, I realized that this registry hack works for me, but only until I do a soft reset. The DWORD disappears from the registry, and the long logon/email check delay returns.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Last edited by pickngrin; 04/26/2007 at 09:04 AM. Reason: content
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pickngrin View Post
    After a lot of trial and error, I realized that this registry hack works for me, but only until I do a soft reset. The DWORD disappears from the registry, and the long logon/email check delay returns.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

    Can someone help me with this. I have a registry editor, but I do not understand the steps in #5.

    "5. Add a new DWORD value ForceOffSSL, and value data = 1 (Base=Decimal) under Registry HKLM > Software > Microsoft > Inbox."

    Also, is there a way to make this stick on a soft reset? I usually soft reset a few times a week (sometime a few times a day!), not to mention the DAILY soft reset done by Sprite with my DAILY backups.

    Thanks,
    Tom
  11. Nic
    Nic is offline
    Nic's Avatar
    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    #11  
    Yes, I would like to know as well where to the the new "d word" value. Right now Im at - Registry HKLM > Software > Microsoft > Inbox. Thanks everytone.
  12. dimitri's Avatar
    Posts
    881 Posts
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    #12  
    If you are using Resco Explorer then you can go to Menu then new then select DWord Value. This will add the new Dword Value and you make the Value = 1. If you don't know how to edit your registry I would advice you to back up your phone before you attempt to do this. After you add the new DWord to the registry, wait 5 to 10 minutes and then do a soft reset. Waiting the 5 to 10 minutes will make the new setting stick in your registry until you perform a hard reset. And Tom I would recommend you get a Treo 700wx. That way you won't have to do a soft reset a few times a week.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
  13. Nic
    Nic is offline
    Nic's Avatar
    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    #13  
    Thanks dimitri. is that the same for phm reg. editor? I don't use resco.
  14. #14  
    Comcast email (and all other ISP's POP email) installs easily with Verizon's Wireless Sync product. They have already built a database of popular email programs so you don't need to enter your POP & SMTP settings, it will automatically find them for you...

    Check out www.wsync.com for more information...

    Wireless Sync is free for Verizon Wireless advanced device with a data plan
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bloggerdude View Post
    Comcast email (and all other ISP's POP email) installs easily with Verizon's Wireless Sync product. They have already built a database of popular email programs so you don't need to enter your POP & SMTP settings, it will automatically find them for you...

    Check out www.wsync.com for more information...

    Wireless Sync is free for Verizon Wireless advanced device with a data plan
    Will this work just as well? It dosen't put additional drain on the battery? It really is a "push" type of system? I assume the "push" method would use a fair bit LESS power compared to me checking for email every 15 minutes, especially because I don't get more than about 15 emails a day?

    I really DO NOT want to wirelessly sync my dates and contacts. Can I set it up just to "push" my email while still retaining a copy of that email on Comcast so I can later downlad it into Outlook?

    Thanks,
    Tom
  16. #16  
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerdude
    Comcast email (and all other ISP's POP email) installs easily with Verizon's Wireless Sync product. They have already built a database of popular email programs so you don't need to enter your POP & SMTP settings, it will automatically find them for you...

    Check out www.wsync.com for more information...

    Wireless Sync is free for Verizon Wireless advanced device with a data plan




    Quote Originally Posted by TomBoisseau View Post
    Will this work just as well? It dosen't put additional drain on the battery? It really is a "push" type of system? I assume the "push" method would use a fair bit LESS power compared to me checking for email every 15 minutes, especially because I don't get more than about 15 emails a day?

    I really DO NOT want to wirelessly sync my dates and contacts. Can I set it up just to "push" my email while still retaining a copy of that email on Comcast so I can later downlad it into Outlook?

    Thanks,
    Tom
    Anyone know the answers to these questions?

    Tom
  17. dimitri's Avatar
    Posts
    881 Posts
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    #17  
    The wireless sync from Verizon is used from your home PC. Your home computer has to be on all the time for this product to work. It will drain your battery just like if you connected to a POP3 account. My advice if you are usign a POP3 account just set up the POP3 acount and have it check every 20 or 30 minutes or how ever long you want. Go out and by the extended battery for the Treo and get a desk cradle. You will learn that you have to charge your phone throughout the day so these items are always handy. These are the fact of life with a Treo. The active sync feature was designed for those who needed to get work email but weren't running the right server to push it to their phones.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    The wireless sync from Verizon is used from your home PC. Your home computer has to be on all the time for this product to work. It will drain your battery just like if you connected to a POP3 account. My advice if you are usign a POP3 account just set up the POP3 acount and have it check every 20 or 30 minutes or how ever long you want. Go out and by the extended battery for the Treo and get a desk cradle. You will learn that you have to charge your phone throughout the day so these items are always handy. These are the fact of life with a Treo. The active sync feature was designed for those who needed to get work email but weren't running the right server to push it to their phones.
    Dimitri, this is not correct information. Wireless Sync for POP does not require you to leave your computer on. It does not drain your battery either. It polls for new messages from your POP server (ie Comcast) every 15 mins. There is a version of Wireless Sync for POP, called Outlook Monitor that will Sync your Email, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks etc. This version does require you to leave your computer on as it conducts its sync sessions from your .pst files. So essentially Wireless Sync gives you 2 choices, POP email only - No computer left on, or Full Sync of POP from your PC - this completely eliminates the need to cradle sync to update your calendar and contacts.
    Wireless Sync offers another option for Individual or groups of corporate users. You can download their PC monitor software on ANY computer that is connected to your corporate network and get your work email (Exchange or Domino) pushed out to your device. Again, check out www.wsync.com for more information.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBoisseau View Post
    Will this work just as well? It dosen't put additional drain on the battery? It really is a "push" type of system? I assume the "push" method would use a fair bit LESS power compared to me checking for email every 15 minutes, especially because I don't get more than about 15 emails a day?

    I really DO NOT want to wirelessly sync my dates and contacts. Can I set it up just to "push" my email while still retaining a copy of that email on Comcast so I can later downlad it into Outlook?

    Thanks,
    Tom
    Hi Tom,
    Sorry for the delay in responding. No it is not PUSH, it checks the server every 15 minutes.
    There is no noticible drain on your battery. Sync sessions are typically very short - unless you are getting hundreds of emails ever 15 minutes or so your situation of getting 15 emails a day will not affect your battery. There is also a setting in Wireless Sync that allows you to turn off the checking and you can just randomly check youself or perhaps set it to check every hour.
    Wireless Sync will not affect downloading your emails at a later time in Outlook. It leaves a copy of your message on the server to download at a later time.
    See my response to Dimitri below...Wireless Sync does NOT require you to leave your computer on....unless you want to fully sync more than email, like your calendar, contacts etc.
  20. #20  
    bloggerdude,

    Thanks so much for all your help. I think I will attempt to set up a "Wireless Sync" account this weekend using ONLY the email option that does not require my computer to be powered on.

    I'm hoping that this will help with battery life. From what you're saying, it sounds like there is a good possibility that it will.

    Thanks,
    Tom
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions