1.    #1  
    I know there are threads with discussion about the 240 X 240 screen. But I really haven't seen much discussion about how the video performance is on the 700w compared to my beloved 650. Is it noticably worse? I'm very much torn between the 2 OS's. I really would like to be able to stream XM radio, etc. which I don't think we can do on our PalmOS devices (sans setting up your own shoutcast server). But, if the video performance is crummy, then that makes me heistate to switch to WM. So, what are your opinion's?
  2.    #2  
    No one cares to comment on the 700w's video performance?
    The music videos channel at http://www.dmvn.com/ looks good. I will be experimenting with streaming DVDs encoded to 240x240 Divx from my house soon, and let you know.
    I tried some streaming video with a trial version of a TV streamer. It looked pretty good. There was some cutoff b/c of the square display, however. I would love to be able to import my Tivo programs onto this thing. Anyone have any ideas for that?
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    For now, you can generate MP4 files (psp-style) with ffmpeg or any of the PSP video generators -- you might want to set the screen size to 240x180 for the proper aspect ratio. Use TCPMP with the AAC addon from rarewares.org.

In the near future the TivoToGo/TivoDesktop product from Tivo will have transcoding for PSP and iPod and those files will also be useable with TCPMP.
    --jaslo
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I noticed that some vids play well on the treo and some just dont. One video that I recorded from my treo didnt even play back well it was choppy and the sound and video was off. Is there something wrong with my settings? It doesnt play well on either WMPlayer or TCPMP.

When I play certain ASf files or MPg files it just doesnt work. How come? Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blile
    When I play certain ASf files or MPg files it just doesnt work. How come? Any ideas are welcome.
    It all has to do with the video file's native size and bitrate. You'll have trouble playing 640x480 files since each frame has to be resized on-the-fly during playback. Also, even resized files (i.e. 320x240 or similar) with high bit rates due to factors like high frame rate or high quality sound will also gag the Treo. In general, count on videos with bitrates below 500 kbps and frame sizes in the QVGA (320x240) or lower range at 30fps or lower. You can check these factors in WMP under Menu --> Properties or in TCPMP under File --> Media Info.
    I have had luck with some 419x288, 1719kbps mpg videos from my memory card. Of course its much too high a bitrate to stream over EDVO.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Of course its much too high a bitrate to stream over EDVO.
    And would take up a lot of memory real estate for a short length of video I would imagine.
    sure does, but I just ordered a 4 gig card, and I'm looking for volunteers to re-encode my entire dvd collection for me
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    sure does, but I just ordered a 4 gig card, and I'm looking for volunteers to re-encode my entire dvd collection for me
    I'll do it for $10/movie flat rate. You provided the DVD and I return you your original DVD plus a 500 kbps version of the movie customized to the Treo screen size on a CDROM.

... or you could do it for free, unattended, yourself.
    lol, i said VOULUNTEERS :P, yeah i've compressed some, the nice thing is the phone has terminal services, so if i want to see one, i can always remote in to my server and start the encoding, and check back in a couple hours, pain in the *** but ... even ipod video requires a re-encode of the whole collection as well
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    where can I get a good video converter? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by blile
    where can I get a good video converter? Thanks.
    Costware: Pocket DVD Studio
    Freeware: AutoGordianKnot

There are many more others may list here as well.