Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Compared to my Treo650, enabling Bluetooth seems to have a huge impact on the battery life of my 700. But the end of one day, it can almost kill an entire battery charge, even with minimal actual phone/talk time, and no data usage, and no other apps running. When I disable BT, my battery seems to last about twice as long. I even upgraded to Seidio 2400mAh battery, but I still can't get through one day on a single charge with BT enabled. On my 650, this certainly wasn't a problem (at least not to the same degree).

Is this everyone else's experience as well? Is there any impact when turning on/off the 'discoverable' setting for BT (I have mine set to 'off' for security purposes)? Any other ideas?

BTW - I'm using the Jabra BT500 headset - does the headset itself impact the battery life on the 700?

Any thoughts on whether the upcoming firmware upgrade will address this?
    I agree, the Bluetooth of the Treo 700w is a battery killer. If I forget to turn BT off after driving back home in the evening, I end up with a dead battery in the morning. However, I'm not sure if my 650 was better... my BT headset would just not work on it! Workds fine on the 700w.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I leave mine on and it dosnt seem to have much of an effect???
    here's what I noticed.....

I purchases a Motorola H300 BT headset, and boy did it kill the battery fast when BT was turned on on the Treo. I couldn't even make it through the day w/o turning it off. Now, I'd like to point out, that I never got it to work very well w/ the Treo 700. It would set up fine and work fine, but whenever one or the other was turned off...the only way to get it working again was to delete the relationship and re-setup the whole thing. (it went promptly to my wife)

I then purchased a Motorola HS850 and it setup without incident. I can go all day and it shows very little impact on the battery life w/ BT turned on both units.

Go figure. So, I'd say the Headset does make a difference!!
    I've not noticed it here either. I can go 2 - 3 days between charges with the stock 1800 mAh battery. I've been using my BT keyboard pretty heavily lately. It also connects up to my car whenever I'm driving. Check your Jabra connection settings to see if there's an "advanced" mode that can conserve power. I think this is where the difference in power drain lies. Not all devices implement advanced power save settings.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    I keep Bluetooth setting ON on my 700w, and have not had any problems with battery drain.
    I agree that the headset makes a difference. Perhaps we should post which headsets work best? I use the treo bluetooth headset from Palm, and it performs fine with no noticeable battery issue.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I too have noticed very short battery life while using my Blutooth headset. I keep it on for most of the day and am constantly charging my Treo.

I use the Plantronics 640. No problems with connection exept for occasional drops. I will see if there is a power saving mode, but I doubt that there is one.

I don't understand how there can be such a discrepancy between handhelds and battery drain.
    i am currently using the bt500 by jabra & updated my battery with the 2400 mah...i was observing it today and from 12 hours short use of phone...went from 100% to a brace yourself...16%....activesync was not left on there was nothing else draining the battery...i will observe if treo battery has same difference but i think blue tooths a killa
    it would be virtually impossible to compare battery life among users. The factors involved in battery drain are many, here are just a few.

minutes in standby
    minutes of talktime
    data connect time
    screen brightness
    PDA use, ie contacts search, calendar, etc etc
    game use
    the (aformentioned) Bluetooth
    heat ( is it kept in a hot car for 2 hours????
    and the list goers on

so... it is impossible to "measure" and compare and contrast battery life among users and devices without a controlled environment and study

just my .02
    Maybe that's why Palm only lists a handful of headsets that are compatible on their web site. Go here
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    I leave my bluetooth active 24/7 and it pairs with my Parrot HF kit in my truck and with the 650 and the 700W I did not have a noticeable battery drain. I can generally go 2-3 days on one charge.
    Check out this MSN article. Pay special attention to the PowerSave value. The bluetooth AudioGateway registry key on my 700w doesn't have this value. I'm wondering if setting this to a 1 will improve battery life....

here's the link:

Audio Gateway Registry settings
    By the way, you mentioned your bluetooth keyboard - which one do you have? Like it?
    Russ
    I have a Think Outside Stowaway bluetooth keyboard. Love it. I tend to take notes in long meetings/presentations and its a real pita with the thumboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth255
    Check out this MSN article. Pay special attention to the PowerSave value. The bluetooth AudioGateway registry key on my 700w doesn't have this value. I'm wondering if setting this to a 1 will improve battery life....

here's the link:

Audio Gateway Registry settings
    I read this article. Very interesting. Has anyone tried any of this yet?
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    To use the Audio Gateway registry hack on the Treo 700w you will need to ADD the Dword (PowerSave) to your registry. Add it in the address from that article and set the value to 1. I just did it on my 700 but haven't tried it out yet. I use a Jabra 250 and it sucks the battery life bad. Hopefully this will be better.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjr
    To use the Audio Gateway registry hack on the Treo 700w you will need to ADD the Dword (PowerSave) to your registry. Add it in the address from that article and set the value to 1. I just did it on my 700 but haven't tried it out yet. I use a Jabra 250 and it sucks the battery life bad. Hopefully this will be better.
    I've been testing this setting for a couple of days now. It seems to work! Instead of keeping a constant, open connection, shown by a white background and a blue "B", it stays in the "standby" state, shown by a blue background and a white "B." The battery usage has been normal, as if bluetooth is off. Refer to p. 36 of the extended Treo 700w manual, the one downloaded from Palm.
    For those who tried the hack: Is there a small delay from the moment you answer on the headset to where the BT actually connects?
    Quote Originally Posted by itsme123
    For those who tried the hack: Is there a small delay from the moment you answer on the headset to where the BT actually connects?
    I've noticed a small delay sometimes. Maybe it's because the bluetooth on the phone is in a "standby" state and takes some time to connect to the headset.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast