Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Is this the free backup program that we are supposed to receive (per Verizon Treo 700W brochure)?
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    It doesn't look like it if we have to buy it. What a load of crap. I guess if we hold them (Verizon, Palm) to it they would have to give it to us for free, since it's clearly stated in the users manual.
  3.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by nuflat
    It doesn't look like it if we have to buy it. What a load of crap. I guess if we hold them (Verizon, Palm) to it they would have to give it to us for free, since it's clearly stated in the users manual.
    Why would they? No where does it say that the free software will be the Sprite Software. THere are several other companies that make backup software for the WM5 devices that Verizon/Palm/Microsoft can deal with.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    But it does say that there's supposed to be SOMETHING, which at present, there doesn't seem to be. Has anyone called Verizon to ask about this?
    Verizon includes sprite backup with the i730 i cant fathom why they wouldnt with the 700w
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Does anybody have a link (or an electronic copy of) to the original user's manual where we are supposedly promised free backup software?
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd
    Does anybody have a link (or an electronic copy of) to the original user's manual where we are supposedly promised free backup software?
    One manual promises a free program while the other manual tells you to buy one:

(1) The 96 page booklet that comes with the phone says: "To download a free backup and restore program, visit www.palm.com/mytreo700wVerizon." (page 16, emphasis added)

(2) The longer manual available online says to buy one: "Consider purchasing and installing a backup program to preserve your data and settings if your smartphone is ever lost or stolen. A backup and restore program will also protect your data during a hard reset. Visit www.palm.com/mytreo700wVerizon for information on receommended backup and respire programs." (page 28, emphasis added)
    I just called tech support, they confirmed that Palm will make Sprite available -- for free -- as soon as they are done testing it for the Treo.

So for all who purchased it already, make sure you save your receipts and take advantage of the 30-day money back guarantee.
    Hi,

I've emailed both Verizon and Palm.
    False advertising? THey can change it now but it does not change for people who already bought under those terms.
    I want my *FREE* backup utility.

tech
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd
    Here is the manual that I downloaded from the palm site. Refer to the Tip on page 29 saying to download the "Free" backup software.

Treo 700w User Manual
    Palm Treo 700w, Motorola Q
    Fully Converged, Cell Phone Videos
  12.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by nosajeel
    I just called tech support, they confirmed that Palm will make Sprite available -- for free -- as soon as they are done testing it for the Treo.

So for all who purchased it already, make sure you save your receipts and take advantage of the 30-day money back guarantee.
    Good thought. I would like to get my $30 back.
    Saw this on Palm Support Knowledge Library- Solution ID: 41296 http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,CASE=obj(41296),ts=Palm_External2001
    It states;
    What's not backed up and restored with ActiveSync?
    USB ActiveSync is limited to the items above. It does not automatically restore add-on applications; you must manually re-install them. In addition, system preferences, personal databases and other items are not backed up through ActiveSync. That's why we're letting Treo 700w users download a third-party application called Sprite Backup - a complete backup solution for your smartphone. Make a habit of using Sprite Backup in addition to ActiveSync. More on this application, later.
    Verizon is finishing up their class action lawsuit on the V710 so they could roll into the Treo 700w one next.