1.    #1  
    Rather than burying this in the Reg Hacks thread I thought I would start a new one on a slightly more specific topic. Has anyone figured out how to write a script that runs on startup such that it restores certain registry settings that are not persistant?

For example, I use XCPUScalar and I like to keep the taskbar status box shifted all the way to the left over the windows symbol where it is out of the way. By default, it stupidly sits right in the center of the taskbar. Every time I have to do a soft reset I then need to open up the app and manually slide it back to the left. After my 50 millionth reset, I went into the registry and found the setting for this (TaskBarPos = 0).

I then tried to create a .reg file with the appropriate commands in it (plus fixes to a couple other annoyances), and I dropped it in my Windows\Startup folder. It looked something like this:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\XCPUScalar]
    "TaskBarPos"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\InCall]
    "InitVol"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\InCallFeedback]
    "InitVol"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{7C4B7A38-4bc1-80F6-5DA7870BB1AA}\Connections\Broadband Access]
    "AlwaysOn"=dword:00000001

When I reset, it automatically opened PHM RegEdit but it didn't apply any of the changes. I'm not sure if this is because I simply screwed up somewhere or if it is a timing issue of needing to open XCPUScalar, etc before it applies the reg fix.

As an alternative, I made all my changes to the registry, then created a backup file of the entire registry (an .rbk file). Again, I dropped this in the startup folder and crossed my fingers. Same result as above.

I know there must be a way to do this, but I'm afraid I'm just not clever enough to figure it out without screwing something up to the point of a hard reset. Any clues from the more enlightened members of the forum?
    Ok lots of "ifs" here but try this - **Note** all normal warnings about backing up the registry etc apply.
    Copy the code below to notepad and name it something like "settings.vbs" and place it in your startup. Not really sure *if* WM5 can run VBS but you can try it.
    Code:
    Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    WshShell.RegWrite "HKCU\ControlPanel\XCPUScalar\TaskBarPos", "0", "REG_DWORD"
    WshShell.RegWrite "HKCU\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\InCall\InitVol", "0", "REG_DWORD"
    WshShell.RegWrite "HKCU\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\InCallFeedback\InitVol", "0", "REG_DWORD"
    WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{7C4B7A38-4bc1-80F6-5DA7870BB1AA}\Connections\Broadband Access\AlwaysOn", "1", "REG_DWORD"
    Let us know if it works.

--r00t
  3.    #3  
    Not a bad idea r00t, but WM5 on the 700w out of the box isn't set up to run vbs. I tried it, but there is no application associated with vbs files. Any other scripting language options?
    hmm lemme see if i can hack this together in like a batch file.
    any idea where it's stored? registry? file somewhere?
  6.    #6  
    techyogi - if you're talking about the #777 "Always On" broadband connection, just install a registry editor and navigate to this key:

[HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{7C4B7A38-4bc1-80F6-5DA7870BB1AA}\Connections\Broadband Access]

Set AlwaysOn = 1
    Unfortunately the next time you soft reset it will revert back to = 0
    So the goal of this thread is figuring out how to write a script to automatically run at startup that will edit this and other registry keys.
    Has anyone tried these registry hack startup scripts? Any luck?