1.    #1  
    I was wondering if the $15/month Vcast account can be gotten for the Treo700w. If so, does that mean unlimited browsing and data within the phone for $15/month?

This is the case with Sprint's $15 PowerVision acct and I'm trying to get facts straight with Verizon. If Verizon's $15/month VCast does not allow unlimited data within phone, what is the rate for unlimited.

I'm talking about in-phone data, not tethering as modem to laptop.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I think the rate for unlimited data is $45/mo.
    That's the primary reason I decided to pass on the Verizon 700W. The $45/month unlimited data is just to high.

The Verizon's in-store staff try to tell me it's worht $45 to get the "better" download speeds. Turns out Sprint's implementation of EVDO (PowerVision) is just as speedy, but also only costs $15 per month, unlimited.

Sprint lets you use your Treo/PPC PDA phones as a modem at no additional charge; and even includes directions as to how in the manuals.

For these reasons I passed on the Treo 700 and went with the PPC6700 from Sprint.

I do miss the "phone first" one-handed capabilities found in all Treos.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by dgoodisi
    =
    Sprint lets you use your Treo/PPC PDA phones as a modem at no additional charge; and even includes directions as to how in the manuals.
    Sprint officially supports phone-as-modem on all PowerVision phones but you can no longer have unlimited tethering on the $15 Vision acct, only for in-phone use. To tether, it's now $25/month for 40MB with a KB charge that caps to $70 OR $40/month for unlimited.

Verizon charges $60/month now for unlimited phone tethering and only supports a few phones. Treo 700w is not one of them but there is the junefabrics way.

As far as EVDO network, Sprint now significantly exceeds Verizon in coverage and performance and terms of service.
    http://www.evdoforums.com/about1235.html
    Net for Treo users tethering:
    SPCS - $40/mo unlimited
    VZW - $45/mo unlimited (using PDANet)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Net for Treo users tethering:
    SPCS - $40/mo unlimited
    VZW - $45/mo unlimited (using PDANet)

SPCS Treo 650 is still $15 (all 1xRTT phones can officially tether for $15)
    SPCS PowerVision phones with hack $15 (hacks are already out)
    SPCS PowerVision phones official $40

VZW Treo 650 $45?
    VZW Treo 700w with hack $45 (junefabrics)
    VZW Treo 700w official - technically not allowed
    VZW Vcast official $60
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Sprint officially supports phone-as-modem on all PowerVision phones but you can no longer have unlimited tethering on the $15 Vision acct, only for in-phone use. To tether, it's now $25/month for 40MB with a KB charge that caps to $70 OR $40/month for unlimited.

Verizon charges $60/month now for unlimited phone tethering and only supports a few phones. Treo 700w is not one of them but there is the junefabrics way.

As far as EVDO network, Sprint now significantly exceeds Verizon in coverage and performance and terms of service.
    http://www.evdoforums.com/about1235.html
    Thanks for that info xenophonite. That is a great site. I didn't know them. I will read stuff there and get ready for the 700p (whenever that comes out). I have unlimited (regular) vision on my sprint treo 650 now. I am thinking of getting the unlimited powervision on the 700p and then getting it tethered to my laptop for the extra $40.00 (unlimited). Thanks again.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    So can I gather from this thread that using, say, a PPC-6700, exclusively for fast home network Internet access with Sprint is possible? I mean as a replacement for DSL or cable. Just have one computer connected to the phone act as a NAT router for the rest of the network?

It seems to me that $15 a month for an additional line used exclusively for this is a lot cheaper than paying $30 to $45 a month for a cable or DSL provider....
    Quote Originally Posted by batchannel
    So can I gather from this thread that using, say, a PPC-6700, exclusively for fast home network Internet access with Sprint is possible? I mean as a replacement for DSL or cable. Just have one computer connected to the phone act as a NAT router for the rest of the network?

It seems to me that $15 a month for an additional line used exclusively for this is a lot cheaper than paying $30 to $45 a month for a cable or DSL provider....
    Well it depends on what speeds you willing to settle for. With EVDO speeds at way less than 1 Mbps, I'd find that a biy limiting considering I just tested the download speed on the cable broadband at 9.900 Mbps....I am doubling that tomorrow for an extra $10 a month....looking to possbly break 20 MBps. Just finished running Gigabit cables thru whole house and installing D-Link DGL-4300 4 port router and DGS-1008D 8 port switch. With 7 machines here, I can't imagine sharing EVDO's 0.3-0.6 kbps via a router.....but no EVDO in our area anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by batchannel

you have misunderstood this thread. see post #s 4 and 5 above....
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    How have I misunderstood the thread? If the Powervision phone is NOT one that has the tethering tracking ability (such as the 6700), then how would Sprint know I am tethering, unless my Internet usage goes above 500mb?
  12. nsm
    Is there a hack available for this phone that allows the user to use the phone as a modem without having a PAM plan?