Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This review is not very formal and is basically some random observations
    after owning the 700w for two weeks.

I migrated to Verizon from Cingular, where I had an Ericson T616. I also own an Ipaq 3835 (decent device, very dim screen), so I'm familiar with the Windows OS.

I considered a Treo 650 for a while - the screen resolution was probably the main thing that was bothering me when comparing the two, but as I learned more about the differences, I realized that the 700 was the clear choice. Cingular does not offer "broadband" access, and this was probably the deciding factor. When I tested a 650 in-store, the internet browsing was simply intolerable. I also realized that you cannot multi-task on a Palm OS, and many reviews stated that the device was unreliable, doing resets at unwanted times.

The 650 screen does look a bit better, but coming from an Ipaq 3835, the 700w screen looks AMAZING. I was so used to that dark screen, that I am just thrilled with the brightness of the 700's screen. I use the setting that is one notch under brightest. VERY happy with the display.

Phone clarity is good. I find that my overall reception is better and the call just sounds louder and clearer. I always had trouble hearing with the T616.

The phone does have problems. Bluetooth, for example, seems totally erratic. Many times I have turned bluetooth on, got into my car (Acura TL with handsfree link), and found that it just shut itself off. Other times bluetooth was on, but it just would not pair with the car. Sometimes I can turn it off and back on and it will work, other times I have to do a soft reset. I don't know if this is a problem with the phone or the car, but I know that my T616 bluetooth connection worked every time. The Treo is also very
    slow to pair (up to 15 seconds vs. immediately with the T616). Once paired, the call sounds fine.

The camera is not as good as everyone makes it out to be. I'm aware that its sort of a bonus feature, but the photos are really yellow and washed out looking. Its sufficient for a head shot for your contacts, but that's about it. The video quality is even worse.

The battery life is terrible. Last night I did a full charge which completed around 11pm. when I turned on the phone at 7:30 am it was down to about 70%. You'll find that you must have a charger with you at your office and your car, and you'll need to constantly top it off. I'm aware that the bright screen is a real drain, but this thing just sucks up juice.

One of the main reasons I got this phone was to have internet connectivity wherever I am. Web browsing is far from perfect with the default browser, but its tolerable. I get widely varying speeds depending on my location, sometimes as slow as 50 kbps and as high as 890 kpbs. I find that I have to change my view (desktop vs. one column) depending on the sites I visit. Most sites do load. There are a lot of key features missing from the browser, especially remembering IDs and passwords, which is really annoying. Favorite management is also very weak. I'll probably look into Opera's browser, but it seems to be in a very early beta stage at this time. Overall, the internet
    experience is tolerable, but has a LONG way to go.

I installed two different task managers: magic button and vbar. Both work OK but do have some bugs. You really need one to help manage and close your tasks.

I also purchased IM+ for instant messaging. I use it for AOL IM and its OK. It also has problems, but it pretty much gets the job done.

I use POP3 e-mail to check a few of my accounts. It sucks that the device cannot poll all of them - it only polls the account that is currently active. You'll have to keep switching accounts and do a manual send/receive to check your other accounts.

The operating system is reasonably stable, but you will have to do soft resets every so often. I guess this is to be expected.

Overall I am happy with the phone. There is much room for improvement but this thing sure does a lot.

Comments welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsx
    This review is not very formal and is basically some random observations
    after owning the 700w for two weeks.

I migrated to Verizon from Cingular, where I had an Ericson T616. I also own an Ipaq 3835 (decent device, very dim screen), so I'm familiar with the Windows OS.

I considered a Treo 650 for a while - the screen resolution was probably the main thing that was bothering me when comparing the two, but as I learned more about the differences, I realized that the 700 was the clear choice. Cingular does not offer "broadband" access, and this was probably the deciding factor. When I tested a 650 in-store, the internet browsing was simply intolerable. I also realized that you cannot multi-task on a Palm OS, and many reviews stated that the device was unreliable, doing resets at unwanted times.

The 650 screen does look a bit better, but coming from an Ipaq 3835, the 700w screen looks AMAZING. I was so used to that dark screen, that I am just thrilled with the brightness of the 700's screen. I use the setting that is one notch under brightest. VERY happy with the display.

Phone clarity is good. I find that my overall reception is better and the call just sounds louder and clearer. I always had trouble hearing with the T616.

The phone does have problems. Bluetooth, for example, seems totally erratic. Many times I have turned bluetooth on, got into my car (Acura TL with handsfree link), and found that it just shut itself off. Other times bluetooth was on, but it just would not pair with the car. Sometimes I can turn it off and back on and it will work, other times I have to do a soft reset. I don't know if this is a problem with the phone or the car, but I know that my T616 bluetooth connection worked every time. The Treo is also very
    slow to pair (up to 15 seconds vs. immediately with the T616). Once paired, the call sounds fine.

The camera is not as good as everyone makes it out to be. I'm aware that its sort of a bonus feature, but the photos are really yellow and washed out looking. Its sufficient for a head shot for your contacts, but that's about it. The video quality is even worse.

The battery life is terrible. Last night I did a full charge which completed around 11pm. when I turned on the phone at 7:30 am it was down to about 70%. You'll find that you must have a charger with you at your office and your car, and you'll need to constantly top it off. I'm aware that the bright screen is a real drain, but this thing just sucks up juice.

One of the main reasons I got this phone was to have internet connectivity wherever I am. Web browsing is far from perfect with the default browser, but its tolerable. I get widely varying speeds depending on my location, sometimes as slow as 50 kbps and as high as 890 kpbs. I find that I have to change my view (desktop vs. one column) depending on the sites I visit. Most sites do load. There are a lot of key features missing from the browser, especially remembering IDs and passwords, which is really annoying. Favorite management is also very weak. I'll probably look into Opera's browser, but it seems to be in a very early beta stage at this time. Overall, the internet

I installed two different task managers: magic button and vbar. Both work OK but do have some bugs. You really need one to help manage and close your tasks.

I also purchased IM+ for instant messaging. I use it for AOL IM and its OK. It also has problems, but it pretty much gets the job done.

I use POP3 e-mail to check a few of my accounts. It sucks that the device cannot poll all of them - it only polls the account that is currently active. You'll have to keep switching accounts and do a manual send/receive to check your other accounts.

The operating system is reasonably stable, but you will have to do soft resets every so often. I guess this is to be expected.

Overall I am happy with the phone. There is much room for improvement but this thing sure does a lot.

Comments welcome.
    1.try skype with evdo for voice calls. you may love that
    2.which email software do you use?
    3.are you sure about battery life? people seem to be having good battery.
    Bluetooth handsfree issue verified. Several posters (myself included) are reporting the exact same symptoms. I just found out today that a soft reset can restore the connection. I've also noticed the longer connect time. My Z520 always connects with 5 seconds too.

I'm getting 3 days out of the battery with moderate use and push email enabled.
    Got the 2200mAH battery from www.seidio.com. Seem to have about 25 to 30% more battery life. I have my 700 clocked to 416mhz though.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Something is definately wrong here...I stream music for 20min from a full bat (sleep music )and have almost a full bat in the morning...
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Something is definately wrong here...I stream music for 20min from a full bat (sleep music )and have almost a full bat in the morning...
    I would agree, I find the battery life to be fantastic. I don't make that many calls, but I can surf the web for for long periods and barely make a dent in the battery life, wereas with my old Samsung I600, 10 minutes of web surfing and the battery was toast.

One thing to look at, I don't leave the Bluetooth radio on all the time, I only turn it on when I need it.
    Overall, the internet experience is tolerable, but has a LONG way to go.
    How does this compare to your Internet experience with the Ipaq 3835? I assume you accessed the Internet with that.
    but as I learned more about the differences, I realized that the 700 was the clear choice. Cingular does not offer "broadband" access, and this was probably the deciding factor.
    Just to clarify, actually EDGE is broadband. You can view comparitive test results here:

or read the article here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1772919,00.asp

"For now, two cell-phone companiesóCingular and Verizon Wirelessóoffer 3G networks in the U.S. (Cingular has two networks, one from its merger with AT&T.) True, all these networks are cellular-based, but that's where the similarities end."

But broadband service isn't available everywhere and certainly EVDO is significantly faster than EDGE. OTOH, Cingular's HDSPA3.6 is more than twice as fast as EVDO. We don't expect to see Treos with HDSPA until 3rd quarter 2006. It looks like the two technologies will continue to leap frog one another withe ach side getting bragging rights for 6 months.

I also realized that you cannot multi-task on a Palm OS, and many reviews stated that the device was unreliable, doing resets at unwanted times.
    No more so than any other handheld device. ROM upgrades have eliminated most of the problems in this regard. Kinda like installing a windows OS before they have had a chance to release the 1st three service packs You can read the comparative reviews here:

Cingular 650 (4.5 * - Editor's Choice) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1757456,00.asp
    Verizon 650 (4.0*) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1815641,00.asp
    Sprint 650 (4.5*) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1770499,00.asp
    Verizon 700 (3.0*) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1911100,00.asp

Well that's a downside to CDMA but hopefully with a car cradle this won't be a big deal for you. I can go a week without charging my Cingular 650 as long as I don't have any long bouts of Soduku .

I get widely varying speeds depending on my location, sometimes as slow as 50 kbps and as high as 890 kpbs. I find that I have to change my view (desktop vs. one column) depending on the sites I visit. Most sites do load. There are a lot of key features missing from the browser, especially remembering IDs and passwords, which is really annoying. Favorite management is also very weak. I'll probably look into Opera's browser, but it seems to be in a very early beta stage at this time. Overall, the internet
    I get about 220 last time I looked. Opera mini has now been formally released.

That's pretty much what all Treo owners say . I don't bthink you can really go wrong with any of them. Yes I am a bit disappointed in the 700w / 700p as they weren't the grounbreaking releases that the 600 and 650 were. OTOH, it does force a decision on us as once you go WM or POS, you wind up with a substantial investment in software that's negated if you switch.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I have noted all the above. Excellent battery life, no problems with power, etc. UNTIL: I left my Plantronics Bluetooth headset on one night. The power was down to zilcho the next morning.

That may have been what sucked up the original poster's power.
    Quick question.....I (a 650 user) was just giving someone advice on his next handheld and recommended the Treo 700w for his usage but that he shud hang out in TC for a while b4 making up his mind. However he said that he had heard that when he deletes mail on the 700w, there's no setting to delete it on the server . This seems like a major PITA if true. Can anyone confirm / deny ?
    It depends. If you are using WS or the like with Notes/Outlook mail, deletes will sync. If using POP3, it does not.

WebIS (soon to be supported) will delete on the server.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    However he said that he had heard that when he deletes mail on the 700w, there's no setting to delete it on the server .
    Not true...in order for it to be deleted on a POP3 account you first delete the message then empty your deleted items folder (menu option). On your next send/receive it deletes it from the server... I do it all the time.

There may be an option to delete immediately...don't remember..
    with AUTD, the opposite appears to be the case: There's no way to not delete it from exchange if you delete it from your handheld.

I'm sure there's an option buried in ActiveSync somewhere but I'm damned if I can find it....
  14.    #14  
    to answer an earlier question, i never browsed the internet on the Ipaq. I don't have wi-fi or any other manner of connection.

I have another question regarding POP3 and e-mail deletion.

I use Eudora on my PC and I prefer not to sync any mail. Ideally I want to just read mail on the go, but still pull it down to my PC when I get home.

When I download mail to my 700w, it leaves the mail on the server so that when I come home I can bring it down again. This is fine - its what I want. However,
    I noticed that after I bring the mail down off the server and onto my PC, and then I use my 700w to do another send/receive, it deletes the mails from my inbox. Is this normal behavior ? And so its true that if I delete the mail on the 700w before I bring it down to my PC, it will delete it on my server and be gone forever ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth255
    with AUTD, the opposite appears to be the case: There's no way to not delete it from exchange if you delete it from your handheld.

I'm sure there's an option buried in ActiveSync somewhere but I'm damned if I can find it....
    I am not an IT guy, so I can't talk technical stuff, but I would be willing to bet a lot of money there is no such setting.

The whole idea behind the push/Exchange server synchronization is so that your handheld mimics what your desktop or laptop has, and vice-versa.

It's totally opposite of the intent to allow mail that is deleted off the handheld to continue to reside on the server.
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Not true...in order for it to be deleted on a POP3 account you first delete the message then empty your deleted items folder (menu option). On your next send/receive it deletes it from the server... I do it all the time.

There may be an option to delete immediately...don't remember..
    So it's a 4 step process download - delete - empty folder - reconnect. Personally, I prefer to leave messages on server but he wants them auto deleted as soon a downloaded.
    Quote Originally Posted by masseyc_99
    The whole idea behind the push/Exchange server synchronization is so that your handheld mimics what your desktop or laptop has, and vice-versa.
    So what happens if you get a lot of mail with a lot of attachments ? Most stuff I just ignore on the Treo until I get back to the office as it's not time critical. I just download headers, pull the few that are time critical, answer what is necesary and get the rest later. At some point, won't the Treo be too darn full to be able to accept more mail let alone run programs ?

Looking now my 4 inboxes have:

1 MB
    7 MB
    42 MB
    9 MB

Wouldn't pushing all this mail out to my Treo stangle me ?
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    So it's a 4 step process download - delete - empty folder - reconnect. Personally, I prefer to leave messages on server but he wants them auto deleted as soon a downloaded.
    Just replying with a quick tip on something someone said could not be done...not getting paid to provide answers and solutions so....
    Appreciate the effort, just wanna make sure I convey right info.
    I am IT person and have used many different PDA devices. I have had many PocketPC oriented devices. It has always been my experience that when using POP mail on a Pocket PC device, that by design, it leaves a copy on the server. NO EXCEPTIONS until now. I have a Palm Treo 700W along with a few of my co-workers. I have discovered that it does indeed delete messages from a POP3 server if it has been deleted from the deleted folder and followed by a send/recieve. I have found many other folks that are experiencing this. I have talked to every level of Verizon Tech, and also conferenced with 4 Treo engineers and they claim this is not possible. They have told me there was a problem with my POP3 server. I can successfully duplicate this on numerous different POP3 servers including SBC, and our corporate POP3 server. We are not using exchange. I am speaking strickly about POP3 here. If I download messages, or download messages and delete them, they will download into my Outlook at the office as intended. If I delete them out of the deleted folder and do a send/recieve, they get removed from my POP3 server and I am unable to retrieve them.

What puzzles me is, this could be considered a feature. If I get junk mail on the road, I can delete it, delete it from deleted and then do a send and recieve and it takes care of those at server level. When I open Outlook at the office, I don't have to redelete those e-mails. Palm says no. This does not happen, and has never happened. I am here to tell you that it happens. For those that have used PocketPC since inception, I'd would have agreed until I got my 700w.

Since I can't get a hard answer if this is a bug or a feature, I know how to work around it. I know there isn't an issue with my POP3 server since I have tried on many POP3 servers. I love this phone and how it works, I would just like someone to step up and clear the air on whether it is a feature or a bug.

Thanks

Jason D. Reynolds
    Network Engineer - CNI
    Last edited by GuitarGuru; 04/19/2006 at 12:42 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast