Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

What is the best type of vehicle mount? Do the vent mounts work well? I have never used a vehicle mount before and I'm looking for the pro's and cons of them.

I want to mount it so it charges and i can use gps and bluetooth.

Any suggestions?
    Palm 700w
    I'm a newbie to smartphones and the like, so be nice!
    I have a generic vent mount that works very well. I keep my 700 in a stock Verizon Flip-type case with the button on the back that fits into the belt clip. My vent mount has a slide-in groove just for that button on the case. When I get into the car, I just detach the case from my belt and slide the button down into the mount. Easy. I got the mount, a cheapo, at Fry's Electronics - a local electronics warehouse store.
    Russ
    I like the mounts from Pro Clip USA (www.proclipusa.com). They are two parts systems with a bracket then a holder for your device. The advantage of their vent mounts is that they mount over the vent so they don't apply any pressure to the vent itself. They are also extremely stable. I got a free vent mount from Akron with my TomTom and it was junk. My ProClip is great. Do a search here for Pro Clip and you'll see some discussion.
    Second for the Proclip mounts! They do a great job but they aren't cheap.
    Newton 100 > Newton 120 > Palm IIIx > LG Phenom Express > Palm 505 > Treo 300 > Tungsten T > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750
    Skip the vent mount....Treo and cradle way too heavy, especially if your vents are adjustable vertically. Weight will swivel them down.

I'd sugegst this for the Infinity 2005-2007:

Item No. 853635 - ProClip Center Mount
    http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpa...oryid=&p_year=

Seidio G2200S BT Car kit
    http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=253

Tho frankly, since you are using a cradle, why go for a separate BT receiver instead of getting a wired GPS built right into the cradle.

Be prepared for some drilling as the holes on the PrClip don't line up with the Seidio. I used a Dremel drill and some 3/8" long machine screws with nuts rather than going with sheet metal screws.
    Anybody here in California? Is it OK to use Windshield mount? Those Proclips are too expensive for me. Just insane.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    If state law says anything about blocking your view of the windshield, the windshield mount may turn out to be more expensive option that the $29 proclip.
    Proclips are very expensive, but worth it.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    If state law says anything about blocking your view of the windshield, the windshield mount may turn out to be more expensive option that the $29 proclip.
    The ProClip is a bit more expensive since you need to purchase a mount AND a device holder.
    I have one similar to this one here at RadioShack
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    The ProClip is a bit more expensive since you need to purchase a mount AND a device holder.
    I didn't.

The scenario here in this thread is what mount to use with a GPS system. The GPS kits generally come with device holders and Wingnut is specifically asking asking what mount to use with it. A wired GPS unit has the GPS as part of the holder so a proclip holder would render the unit useless. A BT device still means the the sceen gonna be "always" on so your "holder" better be a charging unit. This renders the proclip holder redundant.
    I didn't.

The scenario here in this thread is what mount to use with a GPS system. The GPS kits generally come with device holders and Wingnut is specifically asking asking what mount to use with it. A wired GPS unit has the GPS as part of the holder so a proclip holder would render the unit useless. A BT device still means the the sceen gonna be "always" on so your "holder" better be a charging unit. This renders the proclip holder redundant.

Did you read their website? Proclip mount is only a piece of metal with some sticker on. Without a holder, nothing can be attached on. The holder is device-specific.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    For those who already have a Arkon holder and drive in California, this may be a good alternative, only costs $8.99 +$2.00 shipping + $0.87 tax.

http://www.semsons.com/semsons-inc/1mulped.html

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron
    Did you read their website? Proclip mount is only a piece of metal with some sticker on. Without a holder, nothing can be attached on. The holder is device-specific.
    1. Not only did I read the web site but I bought one and it's plastic not metal.
    2. I have the Seidio GPS installed in my car and I did NOT buy a holder
    3. the GPS kit comes with the cradle and all you need to mount it to the ProClip.

See this:

The GPS kit comes with a holder which will mount to "piece of metal with some sticker on" . What you gonna do with a second holder ?
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 02/07/2006 at 02:32 PM.
    Here's the pictures in my Envoy:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Here's the pictures in my Envoy:
    Then I do apologize that I misunderstand the website. There are about 9 holes in the mount, which won't fit my arkon holder at all. Maybe for me I need buy another holder. Most people won't have a holder to fit the 9 holes in that mount, I guess.

From their website "To find a VEHICLE MOUNT for your VEHICLE, use the drop down boxes above.

Remember this is a 2 PART SOLUTION, so if you do not already have a DEVICE HOLDER, you will need to order that part as well.
    "

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Then I do apologize that I misunderstand the website. There are about 9 holes in the mount, which won't fit my arkon holder at all. Maybe for me I need buy another holder. Most people won't have a holder to fit the 9 holes in that mount, I guess.
    Neither did I. If you look at the proclip picture, you actually see two things, the pro clip mount and the little adapter doohickey that comes with th Seidio kit. The adapter is screwed onto the Proclip mounting plate using machine screws and hex nuts (screws and nuts via Hardware Store so don't forget to budget the extra 80 cents....40 cents if ya use machine screws and no nuts).

The nine holes did not line up with the holes on the adapter so I had to drill new ones. I woulda had to drill them anyway as I didn't want to have the pointie end of machine screws sticking out of the back. I just placed the adapter on the proclip, used a marker inside the adpter holes to color in drill locations on the proclip, whipped out my Dremel tool and drilled the holes. The macine screws I made didn't quite get to the far side of the nut so no"snaggies" to worry about. I used a bit of locktite on the nuts to keep them from vibrating loose.
    There are about 9 holes in the mount, which won't fit my arkon holder at all. Maybe for me I need buy another holder."
    I see that Arkon holder you gave URL for references a Seidio adapter plate:

"Arkon Powered Mount and Seidio G2500 Mount requires optional adapter plate"

There's a drop down on that page which asks for another $2 to get the plate.

Thing I liked about the ProClip is , though it was equipped with adhesive strip, I left the tape on and just let the mechanical design hold it in place. That way I can pop it off anytime I want.
    I am now asking this same question. I have an 04 maxima, and the proclips mount is terrible in that car. Their idea of a mount for my car is on the center console right next to the passenger seat, and every time people got in my car they would hit it, and one day it finally snapped. I would prefer a vent mount, since my vents are horizontal. Anyone have any good recommendations?
    Proclip typically offers several mount options. For my Avalanche, they offered vent mounts for left and right vents, as well as center console. I have benefited from the 2-part approach as I have changed devices a couple of times over the past couple years.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast