1.    #1  
    Hello Everyone, I have a few questions if you all dont mind

From reading other peoples posts here, It appears the 700w has been out since around August, so I am curious

I have downloaded the trial version of a few applications for testing before I buy them, after reading on this site as well as on mytreo.net that they work.

SpbPocketPlus
    Tweaks2K2
    pocketbreeze
    Battery Pack Pro

I've installed these only to have them freak my phone out

Mainly they all suck up the phones program memory, while hardly touching the storage space.

Maybe I am missing something in the configuration of the phone.

Second question, since I bought a 2GB SD card, is there a way to move some of the storage Ram to Program Ram.
    You used to be able to do that on the old Palm IIIx

Thank you for any help
    Pocket PC devices (ooops, showing my age, I mean WindowsMobile) will let you install most apps via Activesync to the card. You can go in and physically move the files from RAM to Card, but just like desktop versions of Windows, WM has a registry, so you'd have to hunt down the registry entries and edit them, as well as fix your links.

I'm not sure how WM5 handles programs, but previously the rule of thumb was programs that interact with the Today screen (Pocket Plus, Journal Bar, Battery Pack, etc...) need to be in RAM, and not on the card.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3.    #3  
    In other words, we have to hope http://www.pocketpctechs.com/ gets their upgrade working soon.

I guess I should wait to install most of the apps out there right now

So, I take it from your answer, (as you didn't specifically say) there is no way to adjust the amounts like you could on the old Palm devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomshawk
    In other words, we have to hope http://www.pocketpctechs.com/ gets their upgrade working soon.

I guess I should wait to install most of the apps out there right now

So, I take it from your answer, (as you didn't specifically say) there is no way to adjust the amounts like you could on the old Palm devices?
    I don't understand what you're asking above, or maybe you don't understand me. So, you can install MOST apps to your card. There are exceptions which would be things like Today screen plugins.

Just about everything else can go on the card. These can be installed via Activesync to your card, and I would recommend doing it that way, instead of trying to move a program after the fact.

Now, if a program doesn't install via AS, but rather uses a self extracting cab file, unless you get a cab editor, you're stuck with the program installing wherever the programmer tells it to...which is usually in main memory.

Make sense?

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    WM5 handles installation differently than older WM OSs. The decision about where to install - storage memory or sd card - is deferrered to the device not AS. Thus you can now choose the target at actual installation time for any type installation including .cab files.

Frank
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    No matter where the program is installed once it is run it does so from program memory. Program memory usage is not affected by where the program is installed as you cannot take memory from the storage side to give you more program run memory.
    James Kendrick
    Technology Blogger - ZDNet Mobile News
    ZDNet/ CBS Interactive
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I don't understand what you're asking above, or maybe you don't understand me. So, you can install MOST apps to your card. There are exceptions which would be things like Today screen plugins.

Just about everything else can go on the card. These can be installed via Activesync to your card, and I would recommend doing it that way, instead of trying to move a program after the fact.

Now, if a program doesn't install via AS, but rather uses a self extracting cab file, unless you get a cab editor, you're stuck with the program installing wherever the programmer tells it to...which is usually in main memory.

Make sense?
    Sorry, I guess it is just my inexperience with the software.

The programs I have downloaded and tryed thus far have not asked where to install to, and have all just installed where it wanted, which was all in program memory so far.

I do understand what you are saying about the Today screen though, Thank you!
    Sorry, I guess it is just my inexperience with the software.

The programs I have downloaded and tryed thus far have not asked where to install to, and have all just installed where it wanted, which was all in program memory so far.

I do understand what you are saying about the Today screen though, Thank you!
    Looks like it may have been my bad, not yours. According to fmcgirt, WM5 handles installs differently the the older PPC/WM devices.

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quickie WM5 memory tutorial: On WM5 devices there are three types of memory: (1) Storage Memory which is flash rom equivalent to a PC's hard disk and where programs and some permanent data are stored - survives soft resets and battery removal, (2) Program Memory which is ram and where programs run (equivalent to a PC's ram) as was pointed out above - does not survive a soft reset or battery removal and (3) SD card memory. At installation time on the device for each app one is given the choice between installing on the Device (Storage Memory) or on the Card (SD card). Thus unlike older WM OSs, Storage Memory and Program memory are not interchangable but in most cases other than Today plugins or as specified by the app developer, Storage Memory and SD card memory are interchangable. Most of the recommendations about not installing Today plugins on a SD card are because of speed in display and may well work fine there - just slower.

Hope this helps,

Frank
    I've installed these only to have them freak my phone out

Mainly they all suck up the phones program memory, while hardly touching the storage space.
    These three, if you activate them on Today, are too much for this device!

SpbPocketPlus
    pocketbreeze
    Battery Pack Pro

Heck, Pocket+ was too much for my XV6600 and it had more than double the available memory. I suggest you only enable a few of the features of one or two of them and slowly add more after you see how they work.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Batterypack pro really destroyed my treo for a while. I couldn't even change the settings of the damn program without the treo locking up. Now, however, it runs like a dream. In fact, my trial ran out this morning so I purchased the full version.

Tis sexy.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    BatterypackPro and SPBPocketPLus have always been glitchy for me. Now I have just two Today plugins: SBSH PocketWeather and PocketBreeze. Both have been bulletproof for me and the developer suppport is first class. Those together with DinarSoft HandyLauncher in my Start Menu and I have a very nice stylus free operation that has been perfect for me.

Frank
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    These three, if you activate them on Today, are too much for this device!

SpbPocketPlus
    pocketbreeze
    Battery Pack Pro

Heck, Pocket+ was too much for my XV6600 and it had more than double the available memory. I suggest you only enable a few of the features of one or two of them and slowly add more after you see how they work.
    I didn't try all 3 at the same time, sorry if I made it seem that way

Thank you for the suggestions everyone

I'll play some more and let you all know how it goes.