Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since it now looks fairly certain that a 700p/750p is around the corner shall we look at the differences?

1.Memory?
    2.Keyboard: Square vs. oval keys
    3. Screen resolution: 240 x 240 vs 320 x 320
    4. Email: No true push vs. True Push
    5. Apps: Which ones can the Palm OS NOT do? Skype? Video Conferencing?
    Keep in mind that "true push" is a Goodlink solution for the POS Treos currently. While the 700w is not specifically mentioned, a quick check with them might confirm a compatible PPC version for the 700w as well. BB connect is still a dark horse IMO, but I wouldn't be surprised if the new POS based 700 model includes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth255
    Keep in mind that "true push" is a Goodlink solution for the POS Treos currently. While the 700w is not specifically mentioned, a quick check with them might confirm a compatible PPC version for the 700w as well. BB connect is still a dark horse IMO, but I wouldn't be surprised if the new POS based 700 model includes this.
    there are other posts on this site which report that Good doesnt work with the treo 700w.
    Goodlink, while a good push solution, leaves a few things to be desired:

1. - it's a memory hog and can't be installed on a SD card; leaving little room for additional programs on the 650

2. - it uses its own file formats to save contacts / email / tasks / calender entries, which means programs such as Agendus cannot be used as a PIM in conjunction with GL unless you sync them separately

3. - its pretty hard on the battery; I needed to charge my 650 daily to avoid a low battery shutdown

4. - you can't send attachments although you can d/l them - so you need another account if you want to do that.

Overall, it's not a bad PIM but plan on it being your only one if you go with it.

I hope Palm incorporates the MS AS push technolgy rumoreed for the 700w into tech 700p as well and keeps the ability to use the native PIM / email databases and compliant 3rd party applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    Since it now looks fairly certain that a 700p/750p is around the corner shall we look at the differences?

1.Memory?
    2.Keyboard: Square vs. oval keys
    3. Screen resolution: 240 x 240 vs 320 x 320
    4. Email: No true push vs. True Push
    5. Apps: Which ones can the Palm OS NOT do? Skype? Video Conferencing?
    Umm, looking at the pics recently posted, the keys on the 700P appear to be identical to the 700W, which really isn't surprising.

To me, the key differences are:

WM05 has better support for multi-media, and maybe better support for active sync.

POS is still more user-friendly, works better without a stylus and one-handed, and is just plain simpler and easier to use. I suspect few Palm OS users will end up prefering WM, and few WM users will ever switch to Palm.

There are or will be push email support for both, VOIP support for both, etc.
    The only thing WM offers right now than I wish I had is support for XM radio.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Umm, looking at the pics recently posted, the keys on the 700P appear to be identical to the 700W, which really isn't surprising.

To me, the key differences are:

WM05 has better support for multi-media, and maybe better support for active sync.

POS is still more user-friendly, works better without a stylus and one-handed, and is just plain simpler and easier to use. I suspect few Palm OS users will end up prefering WM, and few WM users will ever switch to Palm.

There are or will be push email support for both, VOIP support for both, etc.
    The only thing WM offers right now than I wish I had is support for XM radio.

1.Look closely: the keys look different..save the 700p image and zoom in and you will notice the difference
    2. theres no VOIP yes available for Palm OS.
    3.No true push email yet available for WM5.
    There IS push email available for WM5 - you just have to know what you're doing. You can use a server version of a product like Intellisync, or just about any other server product out there. If your Exchange server is on 2003, and Service Pack 2, you can use SMS push right now, or wait for the next feature pack upgrade on WM5 devices (known as 'Messaging & Security Feature Pack' - MSFP), to get IP push.

Yes there is push email available now. As with anything, it just depends on what email you're using, what version of Exchange your company is using, blah blah - lots of dependencies.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoffey
    I hope Palm incorporates the MS AS push technolgy rumoreed for the 700w into tech 700p as well and keeps the ability to use the native PIM / email databases and compliant 3rd party applications.
    Hummm... Let's think about this for a minute. The reason Windows Mobile exisits is to 1.) sell more Exchange servers and 2.) find a way into the mobile device market. Yes, Palm can license parts of the ActiveSync technology as they did with the 650, but in that case POS didn't stand for Palm Operating System. Is there any reason to expect Palm to do a better job this time?

If you want Microsoft's implementation of Always Up To Date email, why would you want to buy a handheld device that was running on some other OS and having to emulate function calls?

This always get back to a few basics. If you are behind an Exchange Server 2003 and want your entire Outlook experience on your phone, get a WM5 device like a 700w. Or if you don't have Exchange 2003 go to a 3rd party like 4Smartphone.com and take advantage that way. If all you want is email to your cell phone buy one that accepts POP3. For example LG makes dozens of phones that does that well. Finally if you are behind any other email server, look at Good or BB.

IMHO the 700w is not the successor to the 6XX family of phones. They are Palm OS. The 700w is more like a first cousin: similar but not the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalM
    Hummm... Let's think about this for a minute. The reason Windows Mobile exisits is to 1.) sell more Exchange servers and 2.) find a way into the mobile device market. Yes, Palm can license parts of the ActiveSync technology as they did with the 650, but in that case POS didn't stand for Palm Operating System. Is there any reason to expect Palm to do a better job this time?

If you want Microsoft's implementation of Always Up To Date email, why would you want to buy a handheld device that was running on some other OS and having to emulate function calls?

This always get back to a few basics. If you are behind an Exchange Server 2003 and want your entire Outlook experience on your phone, get a WM5 device like a 700w. Or if you don't have Exchange 2003 go to a 3rd party like 4Smartphone.com and take advantage that way. If all you want is email to your cell phone buy one that accepts POP3. For example LG makes dozens of phones that does that well. Finally if you are behind any other email server, look at Good or BB.
    The problem with those solutions is many cannot access and exchange server due to the way IT sets them up - we can't use POP3 access for example because of security concerns. Goodlink is OK but has drawbacks as I noted in an earlier post.

Palm's licensing of AS technology to enable Exchange push mail doesn't mean their not running POS; POS has nothing to do with whether Palm writes a program that can access an Exchange server and provide the ability to access mail on the Treo.

I don't want the Outlook experience, I do want to access mail on an Exchange server and not be limited to the applications proprietary database formats; calender sync would be nice but not necessary for me; contacts are even less importance to have access to on the server. It would also be nice to be able to have a choice of a WM or POS Treo that provides the same functionality.

Exchange AS is the most likely way that will happen in our corporate environment.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoffey
    Palm's licensing of AS technology to enable Exchange push mail doesn't mean their not running POS; POS has nothing to do with whether Palm writes a program that can access an Exchange server and provide the ability to access mail on the Treo.
    With all due respect, if you don't want the Outlook experience then the 700w is not the phone for you. If Palm wants to write intermediate software on the POS to give you want you want, more power to them. But that is not the point of this device. In all candor, Palm is fighting to stay in business and the 700w is giving them a chance by attaching to the rising star in messaging: Microsoft.
  11. djc
    there are other posts on this site which report that Good doesnt work with the treo 700w.
    It is in beta right now. A release should be coming soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalM
    With all due respect, if you don't want the Outlook experience then the 700w is not the phone for you. If Palm wants to write intermediate software on the POS to give you want you want, more power to them. But that is not the point of this device. In all candor, Palm is fighting to stay in business and the 700w is giving them a chance by attaching to the rising star in messaging: Microsoft.
    No doubt the TReo 700w is part of Palm's plan to stay a palyer in teh smartphone market; I find teh EVDO useful enough that I'll stick with the 700 (which replaced my 650) until the 700p comes out on VZW.
    Look, we've got the M$ v1.0 push solution working now to the 700w via SMS and it's really sweet. No security features yet and I have needed to bump the process with a manual sync already so it's not ready for prime time, but when we can remote wipe a device, enforce a password security policy and improve the reliability by replacing the SMS tickler with a HTTP heartbeat, (in short, load up the MSFP), I'm gonna call the 700w the next big thing and release it to everybody in the company who wants one. They'll all be damn happy with it too and I'll have earned my paycheck...

Then I'll go back to my T3.5 and my SE Z520 because this gizmo doesn't beat them yet. I personally don't like push email you see. However, if they come out with a w series Treo that has a 640X480 pull out screen then I'll reconsider... I'm getting really bored with POS frankengarnet and I am really impressed with WM05.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I'm gonna call the 700w the next big thing and release it to everybody in the company who wants one. They'll all be damn happy with it too
    Hey Sleuth... do you think Treos will live up the the abuse that BB's do?

Thatís a concern as our users (execs and sales) beat the hell out of their BB's...those things take abuse and keep on working.

Sure we have insurance but that can be a hassle.
    I imagine they'll behave like the other Treo's. We have a few 600/650s out there and no complaints other than the fact that the things tend to accidently acctivate occasionally due to the inferior case. Even with keylock its possible to activate a Treo if you sit on it just right. When a BB is in its holster that's just not possible. That ideosyncracy caused all sorts of odd helpdesk issues until the boys figured out what the root cause was...

not true. I use it daily, and have been since I first laid my hands on it

works like a champ except for sucking down the battery faster than normal. However, nothing that turning off the EVDO doesn't fix.
    Folks,

Seven has been doing push since the Treo 600 and it works great on the Sprint 6700. And since it uses the built in e-mail app on WM5 it should work just fine on the T700.

You can join their beta program for free beta.seven.com.

Seven rebrands it's solution to carriers - Sprint Business Connection and Cingular Express mail are Seven. The beta program supports all carriers. It really works great.

Glenn
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Glenn, Seven looks pretty interesting. Looking at their website, I am not clear on one thing, assuming you are using the "personal edition." When you are out of the office, do you need to have your PC logged on and running for the push to the phone to work?

Their "enterprise" edition looks pretty much like a Good Technology clone. Is that essentially correct?
  19.    #19  
    i guess the 700p will not have Voice Command and will not be on verizon for starters. Big diff!
    haim- you are correct.
    personal edition is a redirector- you need a computer on in the office. not good if you've got a laptop. i actually used the program running on a server that i was working with for a while as a test and it worked. the seven client will work on any windows OS.
    the enterprise edition can only run on a server and directly connects to the mailboxes. no need to have your own computer on.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast