1.    #1  
    I would like to buy the Treo 700w and dump my Pocket PC so I can carry the Treo alone. I understand that the device is designed to "ping" the internet every 2-5 minutes for new emails. I also understand that there is no setting or configuration that can disable this unwanted internet access even if no email account has been configured on the device.

I do not want to purchase the unlimited data package but these "pings" to the internet will eat away at my minutes and result in huge overages to the tune of up to $500...

Here's my ideal scenario:
    1) I use the device as my wireless phone w/ a bluetooth headset.
    2) I use the device as a personal organizer, sync-ing with my PC when necessary by using bluetooth or a direct connection.
    3) I use the device to connect to the internet, but ONLY thru my home wireless network setup, either thru a bluetooth configuration or thru a 3rd-party SD Wi-Fi card.
    4) I do not pay the additional $50/month for the unlimited data pkg, and I do not get hassled by unwanted/automatic internet "pings" and huge overages.

Is this scenario possible? Do points 3 and 4 conflict in any way or are they be mutually exclusive from one another (ie. can I avoid unwanted access to the internet outside of my home network setup)?

I look forward to reading your replies. Thanks in advance.
    I asked the people at Verizon the same question and the lady told me they could block that from you phone when you get it. That means no unlimited, no 10kb, no pay as you go - just your minutes plan. I was curious about the same thing and hope she knew what she was talking about since my NE2 is Feb 16.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    You do not need to purchase a data plan and there is no way that Verizon can block your phone from connecting to the internet. But the phone will not attempt to connect if you do not set it up to do so. I know because this is how I use my treo.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierce02
    You do not need to purchase a data plan and there is no way that Verizon can block your phone from connecting to the internet. But the phone will not attempt to connect if you do not set it up to do so. I know because this is how I use my treo.
    Does your Treo "ping" for the internet? Have you used wi-fi on it yet? Have you tried using the internet on it when you connect it to your computer?

thanks
    I'm not sure about what the other person is talking about, but Verizon CSR said they could block it (disable if you will - the ability to connect) and if you weren't going to use those features (EDVO, etc. ) - you needed to do this because it "ping" and you would be charged data usage. Again - don't know how accurate, but that is what I was told by what appeared to be a knowledgeble rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierce02
    You do not need to purchase a data plan and there is no way that Verizon can block your phone from connecting to the internet.
    That is not accurate. We have my mom's Treo 600 blocked so she won't accidently get on the internet. She just uses hers for PIM, bible, time waster, and a phone.