1.    #1  
    I bought my phone off of buy.com (still hasn't arrived yet, but hopefully soon) and I didn't have an option to purchase insurance through them. Does anyone know if Verizon will let you buy insurance through them on a device bought through one of their partners, or am I basically SOL if something happens to this one? If I can't get it through Verizon, is there any other reputable service to get it through? I've never done the cell phone insurance thing before, but I've also never had a phone worth insuring. I'm very careful with phones, but still, accidents do happen, and with something like this I don't want to have to buy a new one at face price if I lose mine.
    I think u should be able to get insurance have u gotten the phone yet
    I got my 700 from palm. Had no problems having verizon add the insurance to the phone, just give them a call once you have it.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    what exactly does the 5 dollar a month insurance charge cover damage wise? what if I just want a new one because this seido case scratched my treo in two places?
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl
    what exactly does the 5 dollar a month insurance charge cover damage wise? what if I just want a new one because this seido case scratched my treo in two places?
    VZW would probably laugh you out of the store if you wanted to a replacement d/t scratches. They'd consider scratches user abuse or wear and tear. You'd be better off contacting the insurance company (maybe Asurion) and filing a claim...but the reason better not be for cosmetic damage.

But I'd try and live with the scratches. Don't think it's worth spending $50 to replace a phone over a few superficial marks. If the scratches were on the screen, then that's a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl
    Loss, theft, damage. I got a phone replaced that wound up in a pool.
    I proposed the exact question to a sales guy in the store for a treo 700 purchased from buy.com and he said SOL.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I purchased my Samsung i730 from Amazon, and was able to get insurance for it no problem. Obviously it isn't a Treo 700w from Buy, but the situation should be the same. It was fairly easy to add, I just had them add it when I called to activate the new account I setup with Amazon.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Quote Originally Posted by pgallett
    I proposed the exact question to a sales guy in the store for a treo 700 purchased from buy.com and he said SOL.
    VZW requires insurance be added within 30 days of getting the phone. That's probably to prevent the adverse selection effect - go without insurance until something bad happens, buy insurance and then file claim after initial waiting period.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoffey
    VZW requires insurance be added within 30 days of getting the phone. That's probably to prevent the adverse selection effect - go without insurance until something bad happens, buy insurance and then file claim after initial waiting period.
    My local VZW shop also told me about the 30 day policy. They also said there was no problem adding insurance even though I got my phone from Buy.com.