Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There are so many threads about push email. I thought how about just summarizing the top level take-aways:

1. Treo 700w does NOT have push email out of the box
    2. Chatter, Snappermail, office2go, eudora..none of them currently supports 700w. Can the gurus please confirm this?
    3. Lotus Notes, Outlook , Gmail, Hotmail CANNOT be pushed onto the 700w. True?
    4. Active Sync (some weird pull email system from Vzw) sucks. Does one have to keep outlook running to get this thing to work?
    5. WM5 patch due in April is our ONLY hope.

Have i covered everything?
    Last edited by athreya; 02/03/2006 at 05:50 AM.
    Yes - I am VERY disappointed that I can't get rid of my blackberry because I CAN NOT get real push email on the 700w. WirelessStink SUCKS. I was even redirecting from my OWN personal computer, hooked to my company network, on an ups and everything for when I traveled. I am in the same boat as my other buddy (Hobbes?) on here that has the IT department from hell, so a personal PC was my only option. But EVEN WITH THAT VZW "push" doesn't work fast! Why doesn't Palm and MS wake up and be COMPETETIVE with the blackberry - that's the ONLY way they will win. I don't want to wait for some WM5 patch...this is NOT that friggin hard.

Taking it back tomorrow. :-(
    if you all want a very good true push solution for all devices at a corporate level look at OneBridge and LiveConnect by Extended Systems (now iAnywhere). It is an amazing product that works with Exchange or Lotus Notes. It also does database sync if you want.
    Last edited by driven01; 02/03/2006 at 10:10 AM.
    there is only one project that works with the 700 most of the time. It's still in very early stage and has some reconnection issues, problems handling mail boxes with large numbers of messages, and compatibility problems with IMAP access to Exchange servers. But with some IMAP servers like fastmail, it seems to work OK:

www.vgsmail.com/ppc

Give it a try. In another week or so (developer releases new versions every few days) it might be reliable enough for use with most IMAP servers and most users.
    BTW, vgsmail does not require exchange just an IMAP server that supports IDLE. Although many Exchange servers can be accessed through IMAP and also support IDLE. However, as stated above, vgsmail is having some problems downloading message bodies and attachments through IMAP exchange according to the fourms:

forum.vgsmail.com

through fastmail, it seems to work ok.
    A new beta of office2go is expected next week. Hopefully, it will work with the 700 and we will have another option!
    If you have Exchange 2K3 with service pack 2 installed as your primary email service then the 700W does push email out of the box. It's every bit as good as my Blackberry was from a feature/speed perspective. Attachments open in Pocket Office. PDF's open in PiscelViewer. You need to be sure that Microsoft server activesync is installed on your front end server and that you have an Internet available OWA website. If your OWA site has a SSL cert then you can run this over https too. I have this solution up and running and it's a beautiful thing. This doesn't require the Verizon Wireless Activesync program that's installed on the 700W btw.

Verizon's solution does seem to require the Outlook client so, as such, is completely lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth255
    If you have Exchange 2K3 with service pack 2 installed as your primary email service then the 700W does push email out of the box. It's every bit as good as my Blackberry was from a feature/speed perspective. Attachments open in Pocket Office. PDF's open in PiscelViewer. You need to be sure that Microsoft server activesync is installed on your front end server and that you have an Internet available OWA website. If your OWA site has a SSL cert then you can run this over https too. I have this solution up and running and it's a beautiful thing. This doesn't require the Verizon Wireless Activesync program that's installed on the 700W btw.

Verizon's solution does seem to require the Outlook client so, as such, is completely lame.
    it works well but it is not TRUE push and it does require an exchange server. it works by the exchange server sending an SMS message to the phone which causes it to perform an ActiveSync. We have clients using this and they really don't like it because there is a delay, with true push like Blackberry, you should see mail within a second or two of the server and it eats up your SMS allowance with Verizon if you get a lot of email. Also, if the phone fails to receive the SMS message, which happens, you won't get new email. The 700 does NOT have a TRUE push solution out of the box, you could say it is a good work around if you use an exchange server. Both vgsmail and office2go are true push. MS's AKU 2 ROM update for the 700 will also add TRUE push to the phone for Exchange servers only. But that won't be available until April at the earliest from Verizon.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    if you all want a very good true push solution for all devices at a corporate level look at OneBridge and LiveConnect by Extended Systems (now iAnywhere). It is an amazing product that works with Exchange or Lotus Notes. It also does database sync if you want.
    i heard about this from my corporate IT folks as well.but which one are you talking about ..the xtnd connect for individual users or the one bridge? does it work with notes and outlook for individual users?
    Hmmm... We tested this side by side with our Blackberries. I also have a blackberry tied to my email account. There was no difference in mail receive times for all practical purposes. By this I mean that sometimes the Blackberry was quicker and sometimes the Treo was. You are correct in that this solution is "technically" a pull solution, but the end result is the same. The caveot is that I've got EVDO availability currently so activesync may be running very quickly as a result.

I am not aware of any Microsoft related architectural changes to this technology so am quite interested in any M$ information you might be able to point me towards with regards to MS's AKU 2 ROM update and how this provides "true" push. Their word to us was that the "push" solution would always be this way. Perhaps the difference will be that SMS won't be required to perform the initial bump to start the ActiveSync process. However, if IP based this would require knowledge of the Treo's IP address, a difficult proposition given the DHCP nature of most wireless networks. Therefore, some other location methodology would be required. RIM uses custom signalling (one of the patent violations btw) to accomplish this.
    All right, here's the skinny on how "true" push works.

We have to add Verizon as a "mobile carrier" on our front end server and they manage the virtualization of the device's IP. This means that the Treo will accept a wireless sync notification via HTTPS.

Apparantly, Verizon's ROM update due out in April, provides the means for them to virtualize the Treo on their network so that it can become an HTTPS endpoint. Until Verizon does this, the only way to perform the notification is via SMS. This does increase the cost as well as decrease the reliability of the service. However, that being said, I can say that its been performing flawlessly with our evaluators (myself included) for several days now. I'll look into the SMS settings for the eval accounts we are using.

I'll be travelling extensively pretty soon so will have an opportunity to evaluate this solution in a more real-world environment.
    I also do not see any noticable delay in my email being "pushed" from my company's exchange server. In fact, if I send myself a test email from my Treo, then I receive it almost immediately afterwards. It may not be the perfect solution, but I think that it works pretty effectively.
    All right, here's the skinny on how "true" push works.

Until Verizon does this, the only way to perform the notification is via SMS.
    That's the big selling point of OneBridge/LiveConnect that I mentioned earlier. It does NOT use SMS to provide true / live push e-mail.

It works with all providers so long as your organization installs a OB server.
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    i heard about this from my corporate IT folks as well.but which one are you talking about ..the xtnd connect for individual users or the one bridge? does it work with notes and outlook for individual users?
    XTNDConnect is a sync tool, similar to ActiveSync but will work with multiple devices, such as PalmOS, Windows Mobile, Symbian and even Sony-Ericcson phones like the K750, etc. It adds some features such as auto-sync and scheduled sync that are not present in HotSync and ActiveSync. It does more, but I've not used it enough to know the nitty-gritty details.

OneBridge is a corporate e-mail/database sync solution. I don't see how it could be deployed as an individual one-person solution, unfortunately. It *DOES* work with Notes as well as Exchange though. LiveConnect provides the push functionality.
    Tks for the info wannatreo. We just initiated a remote wipe on a treo and it didn't take. I would appear that the messaging and security feature pack has yet to be installed on this device.
    Tks for the info wannatreo. We just initiated a remote wipe on a treo and it didn't take. I would appear that the messaging and security feature pack has yet to be installed on this device.
    not until AKU 2 (MSFP) is released for treo. April at best.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Sleuth255,

The feature you are using now with Exchange and your 700w is called AUTD (Always Up To Date). I am currently using it myself.

The new version said to be released late second qtr is called "Direct Push". It will require Exchange 2003 with SP2 on the server side...and MSFP on the device side (your 700w).

As you will find with the current solution it does have its drawbacks which I wont go over again (and again, and again :P))

"Direct Push" will bring the same (or better) blackberry instant email capabilities.

It works by keeping a connection open to the exchange server at all times...we are being told that it will have even better batter life than AUTD even though there is a data connection open 24/7.
    I'm confused. I can recieve my gmail through my phone by hitting send/recieve. It works just fine. It'll pop up in my inbox in the messages section of my phone. What's the problem exactly? I don't have to go to the gmail website or anything.
    @gex:

tks for the update. It would appear that without MSFP this is no more than a toy FTTB unfortunately. Damn... and the CEO's on my back to get hooked up. I'm still excited by this device tho... nice improvements in the GUI. It'll move me over to the "dark side" from POS for sure....

edit:

I just finished reading that very enlightening thread "Exchange sp2 and winmob 5.0" where I found the Microsoft blogs you linked to gex. Interesting reading for sure. So the sms wakeup will merely be replaced by an HTTP based "notify me on changes" heartbeat initiated and perpetuated by the mobile device. Very elegant. In essence, that's pretty much why I questioned the supposed upcoming "true" push since a server initiated activesync is still essentially what gets the messages over.

I'm surprised that the MSFP would be required for this actually. I can see the other things like password enforcement or remote wipe but as I just stated, the "true push" scheme is pretty much what the SMS notification process does today, at least in terms of the "tickler" causing an exchange activesync which actually does the work of retreiving messaging info. However, it is true that you can't choose "sync when change" w/o also filling in the sms notification in the active sync schedule so the MSFP is somehow involved in this enhancement as well.

Interestingly, our demo units just hit a SMS maximum that was mistakenly set up in the eval accounts and I had to work with Verizon to fix the phone plans. this does point out several flaws in the SMS based heartbeat.
    Last edited by Sleuth255; 02/03/2006 at 07:38 PM.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast