Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I haven't kept it in AUTD mode because I'm not always getting the audible notification when an email arrives. However, with sync set to every 5 minutes, my battery is less than half full at the end of the day so I' m charging every night.
    Battery Life. How is everyones battery life when using these solutions. I used to have a Treo Palm OS running Goodlink and I could go a few days without a charge now I can;t even get through a day without a dead battery. Perhaps my battery is defective does anyone else have these issues.

BTW, I am using AUTD w/Exchange 2003 Outlook and Pocket Breeze. Not perfect but until GL is supported on the phone It is the best solution I have come up with. My only problem is battery life

Example worked from home yesterday did not use the phone to make any calls. It was on and receiving Email via AUTD all day. Wen't out last nigt took the phone with me. Got home forgot to charge the phone woke up this morning went to turn the phone on and it is completely dead won't even turn the screen on. It is on the charger now and all well be well once the charge is completed. Unfortunately this use case won't work for me I may have to go back to my Treo Palm OS and GL which would go several days without a charge.

Thoughs?

Doug
    Last edited by dhegge; 02/11/2006 at 12:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhegge
    Battery Life. . . Thoughs?
    Doug
    I was with a client that carries a 700w for better than 13 hours yesterday. We had set him up for Exchange AS a couple of weeks ago and he loves it.

We drove through a number of dead zones where the phone was searching for a connection, he was making calls all day long on the phone and I estimate he got 40 emails. I had seen the concerns on this forum about battery life so I checked his out at about 11 hours. He was at about 50% battery. So I would call that pretty good. As a comparison, my i-Mate SP5 Smartphone was at about 75% battery life.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    When the connection goes dormant (the ev arrows are shaded or grayed out) then you should not see any noticeable difference in battery life vs. it being off.

You will actually notice an increase in battery life by keeping your connection on but dormant vs. having the device reactivate the connection every time you need it on.

In tests of Direct Push (which keeps the connection on all the time) vs. syncing every so often (5 min) they noticed better battery life.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    ...I have noticed that I get longer battery life if I have keept the device connected to the charger even after it was fully charge instead of taking it off right after I get the green light.

I remember something in the manual saying to leave it connected to the charger as much as possible even if it has a full charge...
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    When the connection goes dormant (the ev arrows are shaded or grayed out) then you should not see any noticeable difference in battery life vs. it being off.

You will actually notice an increase in battery life by keeping your connection on but dormant vs. having the device reactivate the connection every time you need it on.

In tests of Direct Push (which keeps the connection on all the time) vs. syncing every so often (5 min) they noticed better battery life.
    I don't know anywhere near as much about CDMA phones as GSM. That said, if there is no phone signal, doesn't the phone actively "seach" for a tower thus using battery power? Also, FWIW,the phone is set for "as messsages arrive" versus a times interval. I thought he worked the phone pretty good. No??? And as always, thanks for the input.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I was refering to only the data connection above in a good coverage area...

CDMA phones genreally use more power than GSM to maintain a phone signal...searching for a tower in an area that dosnt have good coverage will have a big effect on the battery..more so than on GSM based phones...I think its one of the reasons CDMA phones have an antenna more often than GSM phones.

"As messages arrive" should be using AUTD...about the best we can do for now until Direct Push comes out... might be getting a ROM image that includes MSFP from a buddy at MS soon..im crossing my fingers

BTW... (I think you already know this but for others..) The way the new Exchange direct push works is by maintaing an always open data connection (that will stay mostly dormant) to the Exchange server.
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Which one had better battery life in the tests? And by direct push, do you mean the http polling method that isn't implemented yet?

Thanks,
    Kris

Edit: Oops - answered my own question. Direct push isn't implemented yet, and by your reasoning it would take more juice.
    Last edited by kyoung2112; 02/11/2006 at 07:04 PM.
    anything new on the office2go proposed new download? has anyone tried it?

OK, another update. I have tried the office2go client beta and it is not reliable enough to use. When it works, it works well. The problem is with CDMA phones, especially Verizon, they tend to switch a lot between EVDO and 1x mode. When this happens, sometimes the data connection drops. When this happens the O2Go client will not reconnect automatically, unless you perform a manual sync. What this means is that if you go through an area and lose the data connection, you may stop getting new messages and may not realize why.

However, good news on VGSMAIL (www.vgsmail.com/ppc), (forum.vgsmail.com) the developer has made great progress and released a fairly stable version today. I used it for several hours with my 700w connected to an Exchange account hosted by 4smartphone.net and it worked very well. It also works with fastmail accounts. It should work with most IMAP mail servers that support IDLE just like Chatter. Received mail, sent mail, all without any problems. When the data connection dropped, the client reconnected automatically. I didn't have to keep checking to make sure a data port was still open.

There are still some minor issues regarding soft key support for new mail notifications (this is a real pain right now), many messages arrive with an HTML attachment (this is confusing for the user and needs to be stripped out), and there still seems to be a problem sending with some SMTP servers including 4smartphones's. But, aside from that, the software performed very well. Some users have also installed PhoneAlarm for a better notification experience. The developer is being urged to fix these minor issues before the first official 1.0 release which I would expect within the next few days to a week. At that point, if he fixes these problems, this solution could be close second to the Chatter experience on the 650 Palm OS device. Oh, and it doesn't yet support the uploading of sent mail to sent folder in order to keep it in sync with your desktop client, but I hope the developer will also add this before the first official release.

Oh, there is an impact on battery life. I am testing this now and will report shortly.

I will provide a full review as soon as the 1.0 version is released. Hopefully, that will be within the next few days!! keep your fingers crossed, we may just have a viable push mail solution much sooner than DirectPush!
    hmmm... interesting point on the data connection dropping wannatreo. You'd think that AUTD v2.0 may be susceptable to that same issue since it also maintains an always on data connection.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    In regard to vgsmail...I commend the developer for the work he has done! Quite an accomplishment to say the least.

But I question if the fruits of his labor will be wasted as we will soon have Direct Push from MS which goes way beyond just instant email....

Hasnt anyone tried Funambol? Its the open source push email project....
    http://www.funambol.com/opensource/p.../overview.html

Looks like it could be a competitor to MS's MSFP!
    Last edited by gex; 02/12/2006 at 05:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    BTW if anyone tries out Funambol Open Source use version 3.0 (beta) as it has push and sync of Contacts, Calendar, Notes, Tasks...think i heard somewhere that 2.3 did not.
    Last edited by gex; 02/12/2006 at 05:57 PM.
    I am now seeing similar battery life results: 2-3 days with AUTD enabled.

I do see one problem with maintaining a dormant connection after sync, though. When I am in 1XRTT territory, the 1XRTT connection stays on after sync (although dormant). Doesn't this mean I can't get calls until I terminate the data connection?

Kris
    Folks - Can someone confirm for me, will the forthcoming MSFP technology work with generic IMAP servers, i.e. for those of us without Exchange servers? Also, will BB Connect with work standard IMAP servers?

If no to both, then I'm guessing technologies like vgsmail and office2go are the only choice for us unlucky folks with standard IMAP mail servers, right?
    When I first received my Treo 700w I was excited to try out Mobile Outlook Activesynced with my Exchange server. However, I ran into the same issues as most of you, the SMS on email did work pretty well but would most likely be a costly rather costly to deploy company wide. Last time i checked 200 sms msgs for $5 was Verizons only choice besides .10 a msg. 200 hundred incoming emails a month would not cut it for me, let alone most of my users. Another major issue was the lack of a public contacts folder. Our current setup is 100% over the air using GoodLink, which allows users to add public contact folders on the exchange server to their GL contacts list. With Outlook Mobile you can search the GAL but I found it to be less than acceptable. Rather then looking through a list or narrowing down a list, you type in a name or part of name and hit search, at this point your device queries the server (which you have to wait for) and returns any results (which can be none).

My next move was to test out GoodLink for Windows Mobile 5, which is no problem because of our existing GoodLink environment. GoodLink does not claim to support the treo 700w in anyway or didn't when I was going through this. I am currently using this setup and it is functioning well for basic email, calendar, notes, and contacts (both personal and shared public folder). There are a few bugs but they seem to relate to switching to different email folders, which is kind of a pita but is pretty minor for running a program on an unsupported device.

I don't imagine the global contacts will get much better, even when the true push comes to windows mobile so I don't see that being a viable option in the near future. I just have to wait for GL to release their Treo 700w client.

On a side note about other email applications, I am supporting company wide mobile email so while some of the smaller email apps may work great or solve some of the problems I am having there is not the security of corporate support. The best email program in the world could be written right now and with in reach but could what happens when something goes wrong, will I be able to get in touch with anyone, is there 24/7 support, what happens if the programmer get bored supporting the app? So to be a responsible admin I forced to go with Exchange and a corporate email client.
    Why don't the Data techs at verizon know a single thing about this MSFP I was hoping for an exact date but they never even heard of this I will keep my hopes up for this April.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=msfp
    To help aid in the SMS push you can get
    2000 Free Text Messages with unlimited Data (Verizon)
    offer good for Treo700w Phones and other select pda phones.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Will there be or is there a push email for the 700w for a one man company? I can see why bb is so popular with people in the real estate biz.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    As with the BB, the treo 700w comes with a desktop redirector...or you can use the web client.

For the best experiance I would suggest you look at a hosted exchange account.
    Quote Originally Posted by f1realtor
    Will there be or is there a push email for the 700w for a one man company? I can see why bb is so popular with people in the real estate biz.
    www.vgsmail.com/ppc
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast