Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    A couple of questions:

1. Will the WM5 Patch provide Notes users with push capabilities as Exchange?
    2. Will changes be required on the Notes server side of things? That is, can push be enabled without informing our IT folks? This is the only reason I use SEVEN or WS today.
    Everything I've just been reading says you need E2K3 SP2 for your email server. Various handhelds that support ActiveSync including those not running M$ operating systems will be supported in some fashion although it appears that advanced security such as remote device wipe, and password policy enforcement may require WM5.0 + the MSFP. It appears that you will require this combination to achieve AUTD v2.0 (non SMS trigger) as well.

I may be reading this all incorrectly tho....
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth255
    Damn... and the CEO's on my back to get hooked up. I'm still excited by this device tho
    Yup, I'm in the same boat..and the entire sales staff wants it too...but seeing how they use their BB's now I can gaurantee that they will be disapointed with the 700w until it has the same level of email service.

several flaws in the SMS...
    You will notice that at times the device will stop syncing until you do a manual sync...as for the SMS limit VZW has an option called the PDA SMS 2000 allowance for people using AUTD at no additional cost if you have a qualifying device and unlimited data plan.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    A couple of questions:

2. Will changes be required on the Notes server side of things? That is, can push be enabled without informing our IT folks? This is the only reason I use SEVEN or WS today.
    Great questions..exactly what i was hoping to ask as well. Does any one do this at present?

Would this solution work?

http://www.ianywhere.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Yup, I'm in the same boat..and the entire sales staff wants it too...but seeing how they use their BB's now I can gaurantee that they will be disapointed with the 700w until it has the same level of email service.

You will notice that at times the device will stop syncing until you do a manual sync...as for the SMS limit VZW has an option called the PDA SMS 2000 allowance for people using AUTD at no additional cost if you have a qualifying device and unlimited data plan.

I'm calling about that "PDA SMS 2000 allowance" RIGHT NOW.

Does that 2000 mean i only get 2000 SMS?
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    A couple of questions:

Got to be one of the funniest questions I have seen on this or any Smartphone forum!!!

The ENTIRE POINT of this is to get the 60%+ of existing Exchange installations to upgrade to Exchange 2003 and to grab market share of BB. To think that MS is going to introduce a product to enhance Notes -no matter how far they have fallen- functionality is crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by gex

for the SMS limit VZW has an option called the PDA SMS 2000 allowance for people using AUTD at no additional cost if you have a qualifying device and unlimited data plan.

I just called and they added it without any problems.

This basically resolves the main issue people had which was blowing through SMS msg's
    Quote Originally Posted by HalM
    To think that MS is going to introduce a product to enhance Notes -no matter how far they have fallen- functionality is crazy.
    Yeah but getting a company of over 400,000 employees to switch from Notes ain't going to happen soon. I think VZW cares more about this client-base than MS so I can only hope they are looking to provide functionality.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    400k mailboxes would be an aggressive but doable migration anywhere except IBM. best of luck finding a solution.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Yeah but getting a company of over 400,000 employees to switch from Notes ain't going to happen soon. I think VZW cares more about this client-base than MS so I can only hope they are looking to provide functionality.
    Where would that situation ever occur? Verizon only has so much control over what MS does with its products, which I dont think is nearly enough to make a change in all of WM5. Any solution like that that would arise would have to be outside of WM5.
    They do support Notes with WS but there are a lot of problems with it. For that reason I use SEVEN and can easily leave VZW since SEVEN works with almost any carrier in the US. They might be concerned about losing other customers.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    They do support Notes with WS but there are a lot of problems with it. For that reason I use SEVEN and can easily leave VZW since SEVEN works with almost any carrier in the US. They might be concerned about losing other customers.
    ??? Who is "they"? And what is "WS"?
    I *think* that WS is Wireless Sync, which is Verizon's rebranded version of Intellisync.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    I *think* that WS is Wireless Sync, which is Verizon's rebranded version of Intellisync.
    If that is the case, then you (generically refering to other posters) are talking about a 3rd party product that has nothing to do with MS AUTD. The 700w is designed from the ground up to participate in an Exchange 2003 environment. To carp and grouse it not playing well with competitive products and technologies is folley. You have purchased the wrong device.
    I disagree with you. The 700w is a combo of many "competitive" products and the "they" in my earlier post is VZW.
    Quick question....I am using the Exhange 2003 AUTD functionality (SMS triggered) and it works absolutely perfectly. Aside from the occasional missed SMS (it generally catches up on the next email trigger), I am extremely happy with this arrangement. I had VZW add the SMS 2000 allowance to my account, so no worries about overages since I only receive about 80-90 emails per week day. When Palm releases the MSFP update for the 700w, is that going to require my IT department to make elaborate settings changes at the Exchange server level? If so, will the AUTD feature still be available on the device after the MSFP update? I am a PDA pioneer at my company and I cringe at the thought of having to make such a request to our IT group. IF AUTD functionality will still exist, I will probably stick with that since it works so well today.
    @phonefetish:

From the Exchange side, it looks like SMS triggering will still be available. It's a checkable option in system manager mobile services properties that says "Enable up-to-date notifications via SMTP and Text Messaging". There is another checkbox underneath that labeled "Enable Direct Push over HTTP(s)" that I will wake up the MSFP features.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Yes, the AUTD (sms trigered sync) will still be available. Dont know about Exchange 12 though...but I would expect it to be there as well..the version after that is where it may no longer be available but thats at least 5 years off.
    guys, two updates:

1) I spoke with the developers that run the office2go.com service and I am expecting a new beta version tomorrow of their push email client which interfaces directly with the built in Messaging app in the 700w! This should enable true push mail from the office2go service to the 700. It will not work with Exchange (although the server will consolidate external mail, like Exchange, based on a schedule and push it to the device). It's more of an individual solution right now, rather than Enterprise.

2) The developer of vgsmail (another push client which interfaces to Messaging) is hard at work preparing for a new release which will hopefully address the stability/reliability issues and better compatibility with Exchange servers through IMAP. This would be more of an enterprise style solution but installed on the device directly. This app already work with the 700 but it's buggy with Exchange. Hopefully most of the bugs will be eliminated this week.

I'll let you know how the testing goes with the o2go beta tomorrow. We might just have some options soon. Stay tuned...
    yeah, slightly OT, and DataViz just released a push email client using AUTD on symbian. They're a wireless activesync licensee and are claiming it trumps M$'s MSFP. That means its only a matter of time before their POS product "Inbox to Go" gets it.

The world of push email is beginning to fracture...

Here's the link to that infoworld article:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/...symbian_1.html
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast