1.    #1  
    A colleague of mine was in a small town in southern Minnesota & his Treo 700w said "no service". He also had a Motorola with him which had a capital D in a box followed by the words "extended network".

Does anyone know if the Treo would have behaved differently if it was set to Automatic Band A or B in the phone network preference tab under band selection? It seems that the Treo ships with Home as the default.

Paul
    Yes, it would have made a difference. Having the band selection set to "Home" means that the phone will only permit calls to be sent or received if you are using a cell tower owned by the home network -- in this case, Verizon. When you're off the home network (as the Motorola indicated by showing "extended network") the phone then references the Preferred Roaming List (PRL) to determine what cell tower it should use. (The PRL is a small file loaded into every CDMA phone - including both your friend's Motorola and the Treo.) However, the phone needs to be set to either "Automatic A" or "Automatic B" in order to make use of that file, and permit roaming.

"Band A" and "Band B" refer to the two "channels" that CDMA cell phones use. The one you choose to roam on is dependent upon the System ID (SID) of your home area. If the number is odd, then you should have it set to "Automatic A", if the number is even you should be set to "Automatic B". For example, with my service with Alltel (another CDMA carrier), my home SID here in Michigan is 244. That means that if I want to roam on non-Alltel towers, I should have my phone set to "Automatic B". For your friend to find out what SID is theirs for their home area, have them either call up Verizon Support, or stop by their local Verizon store (the one in their hometown.) Of course, you should be able to simply ask Verizon whether it should be on "A" or "B".

When roaming is established, just be sure to watch the roaming indicator to see if you are on "free roam" (no extra charge for calls) or standard roaming (huge, extra fees).
    When I change the setting to anything but "home", and check it again, it always seems to revert back to "home".
    What do I need to do to make the setting stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by allocentric
    When roaming is established, just be sure to watch the roaming indicator to see if you are on "free roam" (no extra charge for calls) or standard roaming (huge, extra fees).
    If you have the "America's Choice" plan does it matter?
    Last edited by Treo 700w; 03/01/2006 at 12:22 AM.