Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Washington Post Sunday Business section has a big review of the 700W with an even bigger picture of the device. One problem though, the pic is of a Tungsten TX and not a Treo.

Their not so original conclusion is that it's a good device if you are a Windows user, but not compelling enough to move to if you are a current Palm OS user.
    I saw that - the giant picture of the Tungsten on page 7 sort of made the rest of the article seem somehow less authoritative!
    Quote Originally Posted by MARKY
    but not compelling enough to move to if you are a current Palm OS user.
    I think that is pretty fair.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    Their not so original conclusion is that it's a good device if you are a Windows user, but not compelling enough to move to if you are a current Palm OS user.
    exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    The Washington Post Sunday Business section has a big review of the 700W with an even bigger picture of the device. One problem though, the pic is of a Tungsten TX and not a Treo.

That seems to be the general consensus of all the mag reviews I have read.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    That seems to be the general consensus of all the mag reviews I have read.
    Which means, I guess, that if you have a 650 the 700w isn't a good enough reason to switch. Doesn't speak well for a device that came out over a year after the 650...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Which means, I guess, that if you have a 650 the 700w isn't a good enough reason to switch. Doesn't speak well for a device that came out over a year after the 650...
    It's probably more a comment on the OS and not the device. Given all I have invested in POS apps, WM5 would have to be something really special to get me to switch. I doubt Palm was looking to convert many POS users. I think it more a ploy to get into the corporate space.
    I was a very happy Blackberry user until I saw a friend using his new Treo 700W. I bought one the next day. I always liked the look and feel of the Treo, but after previous experiences with other Palm products, I am not a big fan of the Palm OS.

I agree that the 700 is mainly geared towards a different audience. I am very happy with the 700 and everyone that has seen mine is trying to figure out how to get one. (It sure helps when the company pays for it!)
    I think the same can be said of the 600 and 650. personally I skipped the 600 because I wanted BT and 320 x 320....but if I had purchased a 600, I wouldn't have jumped on the 650....not at $600 after a year of usage.
    I think the same can be said of the 600 and 650.
    ITA. I skipped the Treo 650 because I already switched over to Windows Mobile but I doubt that I'd upgrade to the 650. There were too many memory issues reported early on and BT didn't matter that much to me at that time. I didn't mind tethering the rare times I needed to use my device as a modem.

Also, I didn't need to use a BT headset like I did with my XV6600. I have 4 BT headsets and I don't use them with my 700w.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    ITA. I skipped the Treo 650 because I already switched over to Windows Mobile but I doubt that I'd upgrade to the 650. There were too many memory issues reported early on and BT didn't matter that much to me at that time. I didn't mind tethering the rare times I needed to use my device as a modem.

Also, I didn't need to use a BT headset like I did with my XV6600. I have 4 BT headsets and I don't use them with my 700w.
    I have a bit over 18 MB free and never experienced any memory issues....still have about 6-8 free when I take everything off the SD card.

Do you use a wired headset ? Driving with a phone in hand is against the law in New York and was illegal in my county well before NY's law went into effect. I just couldn't stand the wired tether between the phone and earpiece. With the 650 I get out of the car and pump gas while still carrying on a handsfree conversation.

On the jobsite it's invaluable being able to get instructions over the phone while I use both hands to adjust some piece of equiment or take measurements over open tankage (filled with stuff you wouldn't want the Treo back if it was still working after you recovered it) when the Treo is 25-30 feet away.

Thats' what makes these devices so useful.....the feature list is wide enough that they can be many things to many people and what strikes your fancy may be no consideration to another peep and visa versa.
    I know a Dr. that uses a Treo 600 and when the 650 come out he was dying to get one. However, he decided to skip the 650 and see what comes out after. He's seen the 700w, but he is not going to upgrade because he believes the Palm OS interface is much better. Now, this is a guy that is not a hardcore Palm OS fanatic like most of us , but this guy knows well about interfaces (I forgot to say that he works with Interfaces for physicians). So for all those of you who think the Palm OS is dying... the Treo 700w has proved the point that it is all about user experience than features.

Al
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    It was never intended that the 700w be a device that 650 users would swith to. It was clearly stated by Palms CEO that that was NOT their intention. They clearly are not doing a good job at conveying that message to the consumer.

The 700w is a great device for WM users. I for one would have never bought a Palm device or recomended one to corp users (for many reasons) were it not for the 700w.

Perhaps they should of released the 700p at the same time...and im sure they would have liked to...but not having the resources to do so has forced them to have this mess on their hands (not really as bad as it sounds).
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    It was never intended that the 700w be a device that 650 users would swith to. It was clearly stated by Palms CEO that that was NOT their intention. They clearly are not doing a good job at conveying that message to the consumer.).
    You must be kidding me. Palm's desire was to get as many people as possible to buy another Treo. This one has EVDO, which made a good number here jump as quickly as they could burn $400 -- especially since there isn't a WORD about the 700p. I don't think that's a coincidence. Nor do I think having the same connectors is a coincidence either. You see, Palm doesn't care about the OS because they have no vested interest -- only in the hardware.

Perhaps they should of released the 700p at the same time...and im sure they would have liked to...but not having the resources to do so has forced them to have this mess on their hands (not really as bad as it sounds).
    The 700p will be announced when they feel the bulk of the unconverted have no more patience. Thus they will mollify the Palm community in the nick 'o time and keep them buying Treos. These people wouldn't buy a 700w for obvious reasons.

Palm's strategy is quite clearly to get you to buy as many Treos as possible. They are not interested in building the quality phone they can build. It's a strategy that may backfire on them, especially if the Blackberry case settles soon...
    Do you use a wired headset ? Driving with a phone in hand is against the law in New York and was illegal in my county well before NY's law went into effect.
    A BT headset stays in my car (along with its charger) and a few wired headsets but I rarely need them. I have a handsfree setup in my car which works for listening to Audible books and talking too.
    How can you reconcile these two sentences?
    1. Palm's strategy is quite clearly to get you to buy as many Treos as possible.

2.They are not interested in building the quality phone they can build.
    It would seem to me that if you really want to sell as many treos as you can, there has to be some level of build quality.

It's a strategy that may backfire on them, especially if the Blackberry case settles soon...
    It will probably settle but even if it does, how does it effect the sales of a windows treo (and eventually a new palm treo?)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    How can you reconcile these two sentences?
    It would seem to me that if you really want to sell as many treos as you can, there has to be some level of build quality.
    There is some quality but it's not the "Trinitron" standard as I've said before. They aren't looking to be "the best." They are looking to be "pretty good with a selling point" that being the form factor and the supposedly superior interface to WM 5. It's arguable how much more value that provides over a lack of RAM and built-in WiFi.

It will probably settle but even if it does, how does it effect the sales of a windows treo (and eventually a new palm treo?)
    As has been repeated on virtually every news channel, the longer the Blackberry suit goes on the more fear IT managers have that they may need an alternate device to handle what their BB's used to. Thus sales of the Treo and other devices are way up.
    You must be kidding me. Palm's desire was to get as many people as possible to buy another Treo. This one has EVDO, which made a good number here jump as quickly as they could burn $400 -- especially since there isn't a WORD about the 700p. I don't think that's a coincidence. Nor do I think having the same connectors is a coincidence either. You see, Palm doesn't care about the OS because they have no vested interest -- only in the hardware.

The 700p will be announced when they feel the bulk of the unconverted have no more patience. Thus they will mollify the Palm community in the nick 'o time and keep them buying Treos. These people wouldn't buy a 700w for obvious reasons.

Palm's strategy is quite clearly to get you to buy as many Treos as possible. They are not interested in building the quality phone they can build. It's a strategy that may backfire on them, especially if the Blackberry case settles soon...
    not so quick, mr. slinky. i for one would never go back to a Palm OS device given that Windows Mobile is finally here. Palm's intention was to create a device that would win-over the hearts of Windows America. Hey, I'm hoping that they improve on what they have, that way we'll all have an excuse to buy a new phone yet again!

regards
    once again you seem to lose focus of the point at hand. the 700 wasn't meant to win-over 650 users, it simply was a new Treo offering a WM operating system for those who preferred WM over PS.

that's it!
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    once again you seem to lose focus of the point at hand. the 700 wasn't meant to win-over 650 users, it simply was a new Treo offering a WM operating system for those who preferred WM over PS.

that's it!
    And being one of those WM people i feel they have done a rather good job with the 700w for us. Coming from the i730 (which has 128/64 and built in WiFi) it really sucked as a phone. Great PDA but the phone part of it was lousy.

I needed something that would work very well as a phone and not require me to take out a stylus but still have the option and offer the all the features of a Windows Mobile-based Pocket PC.

The WM based Smartphone devices worked great as phones but lacked many of the benefits that WM based Pocket PCs have....(donít know if Palm intentialy meant to mix people up by calling the 700w by the term "Smartphone" as that was reserved for WM based Smartphone devices but the 700w definitely blurs the difference even more).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast